Author Topic: Chess Anyone?  (Read 14660 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Chess Anyone?
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
Here is a lil tweak that I can't believe isn't picked up by the room treatment manufactures. Why are all treatments based on on a vertical array of diffraction?

This chess board which sits in a horizontal plane in the soundstage, It adds focus combined with added clear treble. The good treble not bad. It excites the sound stage.

Gambit openings sound best  :)

Add pic later
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

Re: Chess Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Please don't laugh but I was wondering if the Chess board is acting as a damper and the pieces are acting as a diffusor?

I keep thinking the board is acting like a ceiling diffusor just sitting on top of the amp just facing up rather than down.

What happens when you remove the pieces on the board or change the pieces on the board? Was there a change in sound? Do you have different boards that have different weight or materials and  is there a difference in sound?

This reminds me of a discussion I had with an older audiophile who told me there was a reviewer who found that their CDs put horizontally vs vertically in their rack and heard a sonic difference in their system. It was some kind of wall diffusor I thought.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:54:50 PM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
The ultimate dichotomy will be when we determine that the listener's actual presence in the room degrades the sound.  :duh  :rofl:

(If a CD falls in the woods.........)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
It's breaking it up some how but I don't thinking dampening, IDK though. Anyone with a decent sized wooden chess board should this and let me know if I am crazy or not.  Chess boards atop of racks on unused shelves would be beneficial imo.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:29:55 AM »
The ultimate dichotomy will be when we determine that the listener's actual presence in the room degrades the sound.  :duh  :rofl:

(If a CD falls in the woods.........)

Didn't Jim Marks do that at one of his crazy meetings? We had 5 people in the room and the sound was decent. When 20 people came into the room the sound was dead.

It's not much of an extrapolation to see that a single person in the room would sound better, and nobody in the room would sound ???.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 05:45:15 AM »

My room (before treatments) was too live, but with the room full of people during G2Gs it was damped down to just right.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:16 AM »
It's breaking it up some how but I don't thinking dampening, IDK though. Anyone with a decent sized wooden chess board should this and let me know if I am crazy or not.  Chess boards atop of racks on unused shelves would be beneficial imo.

Most likely the chess board is sitting right in the location of one of your room modes, which it is breaking up.

And BTW, I don't need a woodne chess board to know if you are crazy or not. You're here aren't you?
(Takes one to know one.  :rofl:)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »

My room (before treatments) was too live, but with the room full of people during G2Gs it was damped down to just right.

Rich, that is my kind of chess set!!!  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
I thought you'd like it, Tom, it's in the lobby of the AR factory!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
Since we are guessing here, well educated guessing it may be that the top of the amp is getting damped.
   The chess pieces may act as heat sinks allowing the vibrations to be dissipated by the pieces.
    I really cannot get into the pieces acting as diffusers due to its location.
     Speaking of tweaks wire management goes along way. Get those speaker cables off the floor and do not let any cables touch each other.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
CHECKMATE BTW

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »
Since we are guessing here, well educated guessing it may be that the top of the amp is getting damped.
   The chess pieces may act as heat sinks allowing the vibrations to be dissipated by the pieces.
    I really cannot get into the pieces acting as diffusers due to its location.
     Speaking of tweaks wire management goes along way. Get those speaker cables off the floor and do not let any cables touch each other.

charles

Lol sorry i tend to forget where i left off on threads. The pic does not give a good feel where the sitting position is. I was off to the side. The chess set is still there
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
Whatever you do, don't move any chess pieces or it will screw up your acoustics.   :mrgreen:

Offline Werd

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
Any of the Queen's Gambit openings lend to more air than any of the Indian Defenses. Stay away from the Indian Defenses.

:lol:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:29:14 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,