Author Topic: Room treatments for dipoles  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Room treatments for dipoles
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
Magnepan 1.6s to be exact.
I just treated the front wall and am quite pleased. I knew the projector screen was causing problems being reflective.
What about side walls and ceiling? My room is made of metal studs. Instead of drywall, the walls are made of fiberglass  covered with cloth material.
The ceiling is a drop ceiling.
Being dipoles, do I need to worry about the first reflection or reflection off the ceiling? I dont think so :-k
What say you?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Room treatments for dipoles
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:54:31 AM »
If you've ever walked between the dipoles (when they are set out several feet from the front wall) you'll know the answer I'd give.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
Vertically, probably not.  Sounds like due to wall construction, the room is already pretty dead.  The only thing I'd consider is some thick, faced absorption centered on the rear wall to help with nulls off the back in the bass depending on how thick your insulation already is.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »
I owned the Maggies for a lot of years (1.5QR) with a great amp driving them. The rear wall was most important, then the side walls. Be careful not to over damp the side walls. Ceiling should be of little concern with Maggies, IMHO.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
Emil, I forgot about this post until I was scrolling down the list of threads.

At the headphone meet in Charlotte this summer, I met the owner of Belleson Audio, who was displaying his line of high performance regulators. Anyway, Joe Grado was there at the show, and this guy from Belleson I forget his name was telling me about the show the year before when he talked to Joe Grado about acoustics and Maggies. Joe said something to him that got him thinking. After his idea congealed he started experimenting.

His idea is to put the maggies into the corners, so that the null points toward the listener, and the walls reflect the sound to the listener. At first try he was amazed by the soundstage.  He fine tuned it by pulling the speakers away from the side walls toward the middle, and experimented with position and angle, but he kept the same basic concept of pointing the null at the listener and projecting the sound toward the walls first.

You might wanna give him an email or a call to talk about it for more details. He is so friendly he would love to hear that his idea is getting traction among maggie owners.  I wish I could remember his name. He doesn't list it on his website, but i did get his business card, if I can find it...
Rich