Author Topic: Squeezebox 3 - First Experience Direct Connecting to Amps  (Read 3639 times)

Bigfish8

Squeezebox 3 - First Experience Direct Connecting to Amps
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
Tonight, I finally took the plunge and tried connecting my analog modded S3 with platinum caps, powered by Bolder modded linear elpac directly to my Odyssey Mono SEs.  Previously, I have always connected by Bolder ICs to the Odyssey Candela Preamp.  I should note that my S3 and power supply have a minimum of 750 hours playing time at full volume.  I used Odyssey Groneburg ICs to connect from the S3 to the amps, the same ICs that normally run from the Candela to the Preamp.

I felt I had enough volume connected directly to the amps but the music had lost its warmth and mellow character it has when connected through the Candela.  I reconnected the S3 to the Candela and again the music had warmth.  Also, the soundstage was much better through the preamp.

This ended experimenting with directly connecting the S3 to the amps until I obtain a better power supply.  Also, I am wondering if the warmth I am hearing connected through the preamp has more to do with the fact it is a tube unit?  Anyway, time will tell as I will eventually own a better power supply for the S3.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:55:57 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Squeezebox 3 - First Experience Direct Connecting to Amps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:57:44 PM »
Yes - the pre definitely adds something.  However, from what I've experienced, it's more a matter of not enough voltage drive and the fact that the modded SB3 doesn't care for the impedance mismatch. 

I'm working with Wayne to have a mini-tour of the modded Burson Buffer.  That presents a whole different ballgame.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »
Yes - the pre definitely adds something.  However, from what I've experienced, it's more a matter of not enough voltage drive and the fact that the modded SB3 doesn't care for the impedance mismatch. 

I'm working with Wayne to have a mini-tour of the modded Burson Buffer.  That presents a whole different ballgame.

Bryan

Bryan:

If you arrange a mini-tour I would certainly like to see if it can make a swing to Raleigh, NC?  I am sure we can arrange a G2G for several guys to hear it.

Ken

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
Will see what I can do.  If nothing else, after RMAF, I might be persuaded to send my personal unit around if Wayne is too backed up to put one out there from what he has - I know he's behind on the modded BB's already.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley