Author Topic: "music scan terminated unexpectedly" SqueezeCenter 7.4.1 and 7.4.2  (Read 38806 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: "music scan terminated unexpectedly" SqueezeCenter 7.4.1 and 7.4.2
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
OK so if you got it to complete a scan without error, start throwing things into that test directory to try to break it. When you find something then you can discover what is different about it.  Try changing the one file you have in there to have a foriegn language character like "accent grave."  You can find them for copy and paste in "Start button: All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Character Map, use font Arial.  Or just rename the file and retag the song name to "ÿÚ®¢¥¶õÆÇ"   If it can swallow that then it's probably not character problem which is common in new software, the squeezebox forum history is full of foreign char fix requests.   

Another idea is to copy in 100 or 1000 songs from the area where it usually chokes to find one that is causing the trouble.  Happy new year Bob! Make sure you stop the dubugging to give someone a big kiss round a bout midnight.   :D

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
I'll kiss you if this works.  8)

Seriously though, If time allows this weekend, I'll do exactly that. I was hoping for a blanket fix as opposed to finding a weird hieroglyph buried somewhere in a tag. That would suck. Especially to find it belongs to a song I don't care much for anyway.

Happy New Year folks!

BOb

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
If it was always hanging on the same folder, I'd:

Create the folder, try a scan

Then, add songs 1 at a time until you find what it is rather than trying to do it all manually.  Might save some time.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
It's hanging in the letter "M".
I've got about 120 artists under the letter "M". One song at a time would drive me to my grave. I'm currently rescanning just the folder with the letter "M" in it. I might run through the "M"s and delete the stuff I don't like then rescan. If that doesn't work I'd be more willing to scan smaller 'bits' of the folder. Sure would be nice if there was a simple fix that's resolved on a future download. I can only pray.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep plugging away as time allows.

Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
Never mind.....
It just successfully scanned 6596 songs who's artists start with the letter "M" just fine.  :roll: :duh
Previously it's been stalling on "M".

Based on recommendation from you fellas, I now know what to do.  :?
Damn. That's a lotta time looking for a weird character.

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
Not if you do it the easy way. It's either tolerant of oddball chars or not. So put one track in your test directory. Scan to make sure it succeeds. Edit the track tag so it has some weird chars in it, like the word I posted above, just copy and paste it in. Scan again. Then edit the filename with weird chars too. Scan again. If it fails with weird chars, and succeeds with normal chars, then you have found something to report to buglist.   You are quite persistant mr bisl. kudos!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
From here on this will be known as the MrBiSLbug  :rofl:

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
Ok Rich, I think I understand. I'll give that a shot today.

I found one interesting discovery this weekend. My music harddrive is separated into several different folders. Lets call them folders "1", "2", "3" etc.... Every time it terminates, it terminates in the letter "M" on folder #5 with song number 58,869.

Now I can scan just folder number five, and it scans it perfectly. But if I scan the entire drive, all several folders, then it dies on folder #5 in the letter "M" with song #58,869. Twice I've deleted the song it's stalled on, but then it finds the next song (song # 58,869) and terminates at that one instead.

THat sounds like something worthy of adding to the bug report. Maybe?

What sucks, is that it takes over two and a half hours for it to scan that many songs. I've got an auxiliary fan blowing on my external drive, cause it's gettin' DARN hot. I know I'm shortening the life of my drive with all these scans.

One more thing I find interesting when I scan the entire drive, if not slightly aggravating, is that when it says it stalled on song #_____ of _____ total songs, the total number of songs can vary by as much as 20%.

Bob

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 07:27:33 AM »
Hmmm, a magical 58869 number!   I wonder what would happen if you just scan the ~ first 58000 songs thru completion and then incrementally add more as you inch up to the magic #?  

That is quite a large library of music you have but I can't imagine others haven't topped it.   If it's always failing at that point, I wonder if you're running out of some resource...  ?

But, yes, definitely worthy of logging as a bug.  

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
With the 58,869 discovery, and that directory scanning clean, I think you have discovered a problem that is worthy of reporting since it is repeatable. The only thing I can think of that could be an influence on your end is the amount of RAM you have. But even 1GB should be enough to hold 1KB of metadata for 1Million+ songs.  You could pull out some RAM to see if it crashes sooner, but I don't think it will unless slimserver is using RAM very inefficiently.  

I had unfixable networking issues with early Duets. I sold them to get Sonos and haven't had a single issue since. But it needs a good DAC and there are no plugins. Nothing's perfect!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
That's really odd.  If it fell on a natural boundary like 65,535, it would be at least potentially explainable.  This is just weird. 

Bryan

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
Yes Bryan, leave it to me to have a "stumper".  :duh :rofl:

Just thinking out loud here.....Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've eliminated the character as being an issue, haven't I? I mean since it's scanning the folder without a problem. So I don't need to worry about creating a test folder.

Mike, I like your idea of "sneaking up on it". I've uninstalled SC using the Revo, and have installed last nights nightly update. Rescanning now.

If it is an issue with RAM, wouldn't I be able to see that in the task manager, or with the "TUT" software?

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »
I'd say the character issue is put to bed. 

You're running out of SOMETHING on a consistent basis.  I'd start checking things like virtual memory size, available disk space in the area windows uses, etc.

Bryan

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
My guess is that it's either an issue with scanning such a large library in a single pass or it's an issue of having such a large library.   If sneaking up on it by incrementally adding music works, then that at least narrows it down and would give the Squeezebox folks something specific to address.

Either way, I think you need to throw it to the Squeezebox folks and post the 58869 limit you reached in the Squeezebox forums.   At least you'd find out if others with such large libraries have run into similar problems.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
Alright. Right in the middle of rescanning the drive, I enlarged the virtual memory. Probably not the correct way of doing it, but we'll see. It may not even enlarge it until I restart the PC?????

Looks like it's time to start shopping for RAM.
1GB may not be enough anymore.

Bob