Author Topic: Tidal has filled a big hole  (Read 29391 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Tidal has filled a big hole
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
Tidal had resolved what I personally considered a huge gap in their music library, the fact that they had none of the Beatles albums.

Starting at midnight tonight Tidal users will have access to the entire Beatles catalog along with a whole bunch of other multimedia stuff. I can only hope that when they start streaming Hi-Res this spring we will get access to the 24/96 files that were previously only available in that limited edition apple shaped flash drive.

http://read.tidal.com/article/the-beatles-on-tidal
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

Re: Tidal has filled a big hole
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
That is great to have Beatles on Tidal.

Do they have any Naxos releases? I'm listening a lot lately to Lorenzo Micheli playing Castelnuovo-Tedesco Guitar music. Naxos is the largest distributor of classical music and last I read they were trying to get into streaming in a big way. Tidal seems perfect match for their pristine recordings.

I was curious about the type of internet connection required to stream hirez flac files. I calculated that a 24/96 flac compressed to 50% original size requires 2.3Mbps bandwidth. You'll want to double that to ensure dropout-free playback.  Most people have at least that internet speed now although mine still maxes at 2.5Mbps on a good day.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
Hi Rich,

There are 9 Lorenzo Micheli albums on Tidal when I searched using his name, including Castelnuovo-Tedesco: The Well-Tempered Guitars - SoloDuo, Matteo Mela & Lorenzo Micheli.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
Awesome, thanks for checking Mike. Naxos catalog is a nice lure.

I had not considered previously because my so-called "3Mbps" ATT DSL is too slow to stream redbook flacs on top of our normal traffic. But I found out that my T-Mobile phone allows free unlimited streaming of hi-rez Tidal. Today I was able to tether my Sonos to my phone, playing Pandora now. Neato!

Not sure I could tether a linux host though. Do you use WiFi on yours?

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
I'm all wired.

I only get about 5-6Mbps via DSL but am usually able to stream Tidal w/out issue. If someone else is downloading I do get dropouts.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
That is great to have Beatles on Tidal.

Do they have any Naxos releases? I'm listening a lot lately to Lorenzo Micheli playing Castelnuovo-Tedesco Guitar music. Naxos is the largest distributor of classical music and last I read they were trying to get into streaming in a big way. Tidal seems perfect match for their pristine recordings.

I was curious about the type of internet connection required to stream hirez flac files. I calculated that a 24/96 flac compressed to 50% original size requires 2.3Mbps bandwidth. You'll want to double that to ensure dropout-free playback.  Most people have at least that internet speed now although mine still maxes at 2.5Mbps on a good day.

Naxos has started their own streaming service called  Naxos Music Library. They offer standard and "premium" quality streams. Both are ACC Flash files but they don't give any detail as to tbe bit rates of each. The premium service costs $31.50 a month or $315 if you pay for a year up front.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:01:39 AM »

So who else beside Tidal deliveries CD quality streaming?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6867174/tidal-donating-15-million-black-lives-matter-social-nonprofit-groups

My money will not go to support this hate group
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:14 AM »
John Crawford of Ohio, the 22-year-old walking in a Wal-Mart who picked up a toy gun off a shelf, officers responded to a 9-1-1 call and shot him in 0.36 seconds.

That’s three-tenths of a second after he was told to drop that toy gun. Was he disregarding the law?

Walter Scott, pulled over for a non-functioning brake light, runs from a police officer who shoots him five times—three times in the back.

The officer, Michael Thomas Slager, then claimed Scott tried to take his Taser. Yet in video he appears to plant the Taser near Scott’s body.

That officer was charged with murder.

Tamir Rice? He’s the 12-year-old boy in Cleveland who was on a playground while holding an Airsoft toy gun.
Its cool ndude.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »

Two sides to every story

John Crawford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_John_Crawford_III

Re: Walter Scott.
Put that officer in the electric chair

Tamir Rice. Just tragic. Not racial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Tamir_Rice

BLM came out of Michael Brown shooting. You know, the premed student that needed a break from his studies and went down to the local store for some cigars. He went to pay and forgot his wallet at home but the store keeper, knowing Michael from the neighborhood gave him the cigars for free after a bit of good natured rough housing in the store.
As Michael left the store, a racist cop pulled up and and orderd him on his knees for no reason. Michael raised his hands and begged for his life but the cop killed him on the spot for being black.
Of course it was TOTAL bullshit but this led to riots and property damage.
To add insult, our illustrious president sent two White House representatives to this scumbags funeral.

Oh, and rememeber these two guys?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html?_r=0

I will always give the men in blue the benefit of the doubt. They do a job a cannot do

--Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:09:47 AM »
Power corrupts. I wouldn't give an officer credit unless its due. There are a lot of hard jobs. You are putting your opinions on each event. Maybe you make it less than it really should be. Search deep danyosan
Its cool ndude.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:31:38 AM »

I still love you Mike. :lol:

Still not subscribing to Tidal
    --Ice Cube

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »
Power corrupts. I wouldn't give an officer credit unless its due. There are a lot of hard jobs. You are putting your opinions on each event. Maybe you make it less than it really should be. Search deep danyosan

That logic is skewed, the only way to offer an opinion is by looking at each event. You can not lump an entire sector (police) of our society into one opinion.  That is exactly the complaint made by minorities. If one person is bad you can not assign guilt to the rest by race. I agree with that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:50:42 AM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline machinehead

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Who is saying that a whole group is bad... i love the po po
but it is their responsibility to fix whats wrong as a po po group.

Its cool ndude.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »
"Liscense and registration please...  for smoking the reefer"

:rofl:

super troopers FTW
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »
Listen there are good and bad cops just like any other group of people.

However, the standard that has to be looked at in any of these situations is would a reasonable person honestly believe that their life was in danger in that given situation given the specifics of the event. Law enforcement officers need to size up situations in a fraction of a second, and yes, sometimes they get it wrong and that is unfortunate. But what bothers me about all of this public outcry lately is that after everything is Monday morning quarterbacked people insist that the only acceptable outcome of these incidents is criminal prosecution of the officer involved. Sorry, there is just a considerable gap between a clean shoot and a criminal act. Do we need better police-community relations, absolutely, do the cops need more and/or better training, probably. But not every mistake made by an officer is a criminal, nor a premeditated racist act. The acts that are should be prosecuted with the full weight of the law, but just like the criminals they arrest, police officers deserve the right to be assumed innocent until proven guilty.

But I do find it ironic that  Tidal (which is owned by Jay-Z) is making this donation. when it is (IMHO) the Rap music industry, especially the gangsta rap artists, that is responsible for a lot of these problems. No they did not invent racism or start the problem, but they have spent years making millions of dollars by fanning the flames of racial discord between the minority communities and the police putting out songs that promote and glorify violent acts, often against police, and general disrespect for the establishment. They also promote the whole idea that it is cool to dress and behave like a thug. Perhaps if his industry promoted getting along and sent out messages that behavior and image matter he would need to be making these kind of donations...... just a thought.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9