Author Topic: G2G @ Rich's October 9  (Read 32675 times)

lonewolfny42

Re: G2G @ Rich's October 9
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
topround....
Rich, I just checked airfare....very doable...

Mike....I hope you make it to Rich's gathering...Rich, Carl, Ken, Shane, and all the others in the NC group are a very friendly bunch....their good people.  :thumb:

You'll have fun.....and try to make it over to Carl's place....his room is fantastic - best I ever heard...sit in the middle row and get him to play the Peter Gabriel track "Growing Up"....with his acoustic treatments....you'll hear it all around....it's spooky. :rofl:

Happy Travels...... :beer:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:37 AM »
Rich,
My 1.5 meter of Silkworms are on loan from a friend whe needs to sell them, so I am in the market soon for a 1.5 meter IC. I heard the SC3 and was very impressed.
I will bring a pair of Yamamura 1 meter RCA IC's. They are great in my system.
Copper Silk and I think cardboard.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 05:38:31 AM »
:thumb:  Thanks Steve...  will do.
Maybe one 2250 to try some big power on the bass.  The woofers are 90dB/8R, with CES raves from sharing only 30wpc between two woofers. But we all know that if 30 is good, 250 must be better.  :twisted:   The Butler 2250 is one of the best amps in the bass that I've heard.   Maybe some cables, I'll let you know.
Thanks! Glad you can make it Steve

I've got the Butler 2250 here if you want me to bring that along as well, Rich... no sense making Steve drag too much stuff.... he's got far enough to drive as it is...  takes 30 seconds to load it in the truck....

Sol says we're currently on target to debut the new amps at this get together...  if you're up for it and don't mind, you and I need to talk about getting wood frames constructed as the prototypes will be done on a flat piece of aluminum with IEC, RCA/XLR inputs, and binding posts causing wires to stick up in the air like the Bottlehead stuff... but it will be the easiest way to get this done and up running quickly while doing the prototyping.....  Sol says he should be ready to start drilling chassis aluminum on Monday for final assembly.....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:08 AM »
Mike, silk and cardboard sounds very Japanese. You know I love me some Japanese audio! Feastrex are the essence of Japanese audio culture.

Thanks for the offer on the amp Shane. Then Steve doesn't have to stay late waiting for his amp back... Sure, I'll do the boxes for you. I have some birch veneer hardwood cheap plywood from Home depot on hand. It should stain or paint up nice, and hold screws well. Just send me the dimensions of the aluminum plate, including plate thickness, and the interior depth of the box from bottom of plate to floor of box. I'll be in box mode with acoustic panels soon. Do you still have your Harbeth Compact 7s? I was thinking that  gear comparisons might be easier with passive speakers. If the OBs crap out we also have a backup. Thanks
Rich

manaox2

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Seeing as how I'm so close by, I should definitely be able to make it. Looking forward to it Rich, let me know if there is something I could bring to help out.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »

Black Sand Audio is sending a brand new Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 for us to audition at the G2G.  Thanks John! It is much appreciated. This is one of the hottest DACs out there right now, with ESS 9018 DAC chip, (same as Buffalo2 DAC and Oppo BDP-83SE CDP) and Rick Cullen's discreet output stage. I'll get some hours on it before we play.  Wish you could join us too, John. Hopefully sometime...

Thanks Scott! Should we setup a HP system in a separate room? Maybe your tube HP amp can come over?

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »

Black Sand Audio is sending a brand new Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 for us to audition at the G2G.  Thanks John! It is much appreciated. This is one of the hottest DACs out there right now, with ESS 9018 DAC chip, (same as Buffalo2 DAC and Oppo BDP-83SE CDP) and Rick Cullen's discreet output stage. I'll get some hours on it before we play.  Wish you could join us too, John. Hopefully sometime...

WOW!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you...John!
I have really been wanting to hear the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2...and might even be in the market...if it makes a significant improvement.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:46 AM »
Maybe I can bring a Slagle Autoformer for us to try?

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »
That would be interesting.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Sweet!  I'm really looking forward to this.. sounds like there is going to be a lot of gear.  Thanks, John for the DAC demo!  :)

Rich, I have plenty of the JPS UC2's if you need ic's... just let me know.

Mike, you are welcome to come by and hear my system and room.  I think the gear/electronics has improved since Chris heard it but the room is the main thing anyway.. I did everything I know how when I built it... and got lots of help from bpape and Richidoo.

Thanks for the huge compliment, Chris!  I hope you can make it here again sometime.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
The event is being held at Carl or Rich's place.
I looked into flights to Raleigh. If I book a hotel I would like to be near the event.

Carl I understand you like Oban...nuff said.

Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
Thanks Carl. I'm glad you can make it.

Mike, the event is at my place. Hotels are 5-10 miles away. We have plenty of room for you and Andrew to stay at my house, and you are very welcome here. But if you prefer a hotel, let me know I will send you a list of the closest ones.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 06:08:08 AM »
Carl I understand you like Oban...nuff said.
Mike

I have some really good and unique Whisky right now that I think you might like even better.  I only bring it out on special occasions, like when people from far away visit... or it calls to me.. ;)  I have a pretty full cabinet right now.. thanks to changing my diet.. so I would like some help emptying it out.  The Oban does seem to go quickly, cheers!
 :beer:
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

manaox2

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
Thanks Scott! Should we setup a HP system in a separate room? Maybe your tube HP amp can come over?

I think I can make that happen. :)

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

I think I can make that happen. :)

Wow Rich  this is going to be one hell of a meeting given how long you have spent planning it (since 1974?)  :rofl:

You gotta love computers!  :duh
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables