Author Topic: Daphile or anything similar?  (Read 6919 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Daphile or anything similar?
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:46:32 PM »
Hello,

I've spent half the day trying to run Daphile on different old and new laptops and desktops (both Linux and Windows) without much success.

Is anyone using it and is it really better than simply using a PC to DAC via USB setup?

I'm running Linux Mint and ALSA but was wondering if using a different distro such as Daphile would really sound better.

Thanks,

Malloy

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Daphile or anything similar?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:47:32 AM »
Welcome to Nervosa, Malloy!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:44:34 AM »
 Welcome to Nervosa.

I've tried jriver, HQPlayer w/ Roon and Daphile. The Daphile has the best SQ, but the I prefer the Roon for file management. I never could get the jriver to work right, but that was probably because I'm a complete computer idiot. I use the Daphile to up sample everything to 256 DSD and my system never sounded so good.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline malloy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
Welcome to Nervosa, Malloy!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

Thank you very much, Triode Pete!  I joined the forum thanks to Dave of PiAudio. I didn't know if there was any place for new members to introduce themselves first before doing any posting, so I just went ahead and created a new topic.

Offline malloy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »
Welcome to Nervosa.

I use the Daphile to up sample everything to 256 DSD and my system never sounded so good.

Thanks, mikeeastman. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Now I am more intrigued. I guess I'll try and ping the developer and see what he has to say.  I got Daphile to install and saw the  "Ready. Use the web interface" screen and IP, but when I try to access the local address, I can't. Must be a hardware issue or my lack of knowledge!

Offline malloy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Following the developer's suggestion, I hooked the Daphile computer directly thru a Lan cable.  It works! :D

Sound quality initially seemed so-so when using an external USB drive: detailed but a bit bass-shy and a not so fleshed-out midrange.

Using the internal HDD is clearly better. Music seems even more detailed with better bass and vocals. Everything seems quieter. Now is it better than a straight up linux bit-perfect setup thru ALSA? Maybe just a bit or could be just my imagination.

Now the question I have is: Can anyone suggest a better streaming solution out there for under or near a grand?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »
Volumio is free and Moode Audio costs $10, they run on RPi.

Moode has SoX resampling up to 32 bit 354kHz which sounds fantastic to me. Volumio sounds excellent without resampling.

Offline malloy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
I just downloaded Volumio. Thanks! Might try it when I stop tinkering.