Author Topic: Icepower 1200as amp  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Icepower 1200as amp
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »
Some of you may know about my home renovation project.  The chaos of the last five to six weeks is pretty much under control, especially since I fired the contractor 👍
So, last night, with great anticipation, I got my system up and running again. The system consists of two new components........ an Icepower 1200as amp and Border Patrol SE dac. I’m also trying Gary’s carbon fiber ic’s and his carbon fiber digital. Although it would have been interesting to put back the McCormack amp and just listen to the new Border Patrol dac and then change to the Ice amp,
I have too much going on and the process can get a bit tedious. I already got a flavor of that anyway before I started the home improvement project.
The new BP dac is wonderfully organic and beautifully resolving and I’m quite happy with it....thanks, Emil!
Now that Ice amp is a revelation! I’ve never heard Piano that well reproduced. It’s also lightning fast.
Music has a gorgeous texture and a very real presentation. It’s a substantial step up from my beloved McCormack.
After having said this, I don’t like the amp.....because the left channel doesn’t work 😭
When hooking up the left speaker ....last night at 1:00 am..... I noticed both left channel terminals were loose. It was easy removing the top plate and I hand tightened them. Problem resolved, or so I thought. I switched the LS 50s and that the speakers are fine. I then changed out Gary’s ic’s and that didn’t get the left channel to work either. Since it was 1:30 am, I just said screw it and listened to the right channel and it was very, very nice. It’s the best right channel presentation I’ve ever had 😳
Audio can be so annoying sometimes. It took me nearly 40 minutes last night to set up Roon core and the incredibly buggy Auralic Mini streamer to wifi. Then to have the left channel issue was so disappointing.
I’m hardly good at troubleshooting and have lots of touch up work to do as to painting. But maybe I can work on it later today. I’m pretty sure the Ice has auto sensing on off circuitry, so maybe that’s involved. Maybe Rich or Tom can comment on that.

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Icepower 1200as amp
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
I think auto sense affects both channels simulaneously. It could be input if the speaker outputs are ok.

Make sure all the plug connectors are firmly plugged into the board. I would remove and replug each connector inspecting the pins. If its possible to remove the plugs easily.

Thats all I can think of right now. Glad you like the sound, of one hand clapping.  :?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
I think auto sense affects both channels simulaneously. It could be input if the speaker outputs are ok.

Make sure all the plug connectors are firmly plugged into the board. I would remove and replug each connector inspecting the pins. If its possible to remove the plugs easily.

Thats all I can think of right now. Glad you like the sound, of one hand clapping.  :?

I just glanced at the innards last night to tighten the binding posts. Did notice a pigtail plug and wondered what it was. Will take a look again later today.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
 Looks like "Murphy" is about. Probably something simple like an unplugged or loose connection. Did you try reversing channels ? Cables ?
Is this a manufactured commercial amp or a done in the Kitchen assembly ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
Looks like "Murphy" is about. Probably something simple like an unplugged or loose connection. Did you try reversing channels ? Cables ?
Is this a manufactured commercial amp or a done in the Kitchen assembly ?

charles

Charles,
Murphy and I have become best buds over the years. This was done by an AC’er who sourced the modules. That’s all I can reveal under fear of torture 😨 I bought it from our own TomS who’s already
emailed me with some tips. Richidoo has one of these amps as well. Haven’t reversed channels yet. Switched to different ic’s last night.
Wife has given me food and bathroom breaks from my painting duties, but I should be able to fiddle with it in 3-4 hours
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:20 AM »
Wife has given me food and bathroom breaks from my painting duties.....

Wow, you're a lucky guy. That's more than I got.  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
Wife has given me food and bathroom breaks from my painting duties.....

Wow, you're a lucky guy. That's more than I got.  :lol:

http://youtu.be/upD6cB9Rzvk
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
Per Tom’s instructions, I cut away the shrink wrap (using my high precision surgical scissors) and then loosened and retightened the wires to the left channel binding posts. Nothing appeared loose or out of the ordinary, but that did the trick!
Played a few cuts and it sounded most superb. That Border Patrol dac and this new amp are a great match. I’ll do lots more listening tonight and Gary wants me to try a new ic, so that’ll be interesting.
Meantime, back to hanging paintings and more home improvement stuff 👷‍♂️
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 09:43:53 PM »
Glad you fixed it!!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
I’m liking this amp a lot, but still need to dial in the location of the LS 50s again and play with the foam plugs. Also have to wait for the area rug to be delivered etc etc. So it will be a while til it’s just right. The amp is lightning fast and faithfully honest. Maybe not for everybody. But I really enjoy it.
I will probably add a tube preamp anyway. And Tom got his with the rhodium goodies, so I am quite happy with the purchase.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:56 PM »
Glad you got it all working.

Does a Gary do great work or what!

NOS is where the music lives for over 98% of available software available.

DSD, high Rez, be damned.  It is all about the music and not the latest, greatest sterile sounding tech for this audio curmudgeon.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
Glad you got it all working.

Does a Gary do great work or what!

NOS is where the music lives for over 98% of available software available.

DSD, high Rez, be damned.  It is all about the music and not the latest, greatest sterile sounding tech for this audio curmudgeon.

Ya know, it’s interesting. Some years back I had visions of buying and downloading hirez stuff and it just never happened. Am quite happy with the old CDs I have and Tidal is mostly 16/44 anyway.
That Gary Dews makes a very good dac.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:49 AM »
 Good to hear its all good now. Yes a good tubed preamp will add to your pleasure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.