Author Topic: G2G @ Rich's October 9  (Read 32666 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
G2G @ Rich's October 9
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, and sharing my new toys.

My diy OB speaker based on Feastrex D5nf and AE Dipole 12 drivers, like The Lotus Group's Granada

Acoustic treatments finally coming together now, only a year late... should be mostly done by then. 320 sq ft of goodiepanel, pretty much everywhere. Not sure I'll finish everything, but at a minimum the kitchen echo will be gone.

Rob S. is our special guest, he is bringing some special treats that will take the speakers to new heights, including 4 channels of Atma-Sphere OTL and his new DEQX active crossover. Thanks Rob! I know I'm gonna regret this, in a good way...

Sol's new c25 amplifier, a 25wpc stereo current source amplifier for single driver speakers is really, really special. Amazing sound from a simple IC chip configured for current instead of voltage. My Manley 300B uses 16ohm taps and no feedback with the Feastrex. So sweet!  With Black Treasures I hope it can stand up to the OTL.

Buffalo2 DAC will be done by then, with Legato output and Placid PS. Don't know if this will be playing, as DEQX may be the best solution considering the short time frame. Maybe in a headphone rig, like we've done before, but last time it sucked with Sonos/Altmann as source.

I'll be posting details of the various projects as they are built, over in Self-Help. I hope everyone can make it. I'll be inviting the AC group to come also.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: G2G @ Rich's October 9
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
Can I attend?
I was going to go to RMAF but decided besides being broke that there is nothing there I really want to buy.
I would much rather go to a Burning Amp festival! Maybe next year.

Where are you located Rich? Can I bring my son? And can you recommend some places to stay in the area?

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
Of course Mike! You and your son are welcome to come. My boys are 8 and 10, I think they are close in age to yours. I think we can squeeze you in here, as long as you and Rob don't mind sharing a twin bed?  :rofl:  j/k  I'll PM you.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
I think we can squeeze you in here.....as long as you and Rob don't mind sharing a twin bed?

Rich....

Mike (topround)....he's a big guy.....gonna need a bigger bed... :rofl:

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
Mike,  hope you can make it down so I can meet you in person.  This NC group is great!!  Maybe you can help Rich with his electronics projects.....probably not given your recent track record.   :lol:
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
I will try my best to be there for this.  Interested to see and hear new toys. 

It'll be great to see Rob again (and clear out part of my garage as well :) hehehehehe)

Anything you need me to bring for this Rich?

It would be cool if Sol is done with the new tube monoblocks to let them debut with the other stuff... he says he is pretty close....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:13:54 AM »
I think I'll be free that weekend.. and Mike, Rob, or others are welcome to stay at our place also.  We have 2 open guest rooms.  I live 3 minutes from Shane/HTDoc but about 40 minutes from Rich.  But mi casa es su casa.. just let me know.

Looking forward to hearing your new creations, Rich.  You must be thrilled to hear it come together.  I'm very excited to hear you've got the panels going up because I know what that will mean to your enjoyment.

As the time gets closer, let me know if you could use a hand.  I will be there if life allows.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:27:40 AM »
Glad you can make it Shane. You know I will have a list for you as we draw closer. A kaptivator mainline in my vein? It would be very cool to hear the new amps.  I have a sealed Feastrex box also, finishing it today, but it will play only down to 70Hz or so, but it gets us out of active mode for amp and DAC comparisons if we go there. Maybe bring C7s if your amps are ready? I have 27" stands.

Thanks Carl. Glad you can make it too. I will need your help IF I finish the ceiling panels by then. But Rob can help with those the day before if you can't get here before the meet. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks.

bacobits

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
Are we going to blow anything up this time? :shock:
I'll try to be there.

Bad, bad, bad.

You guys are tops for entertainment. :thumb:

D

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:39 AM »
It's been awhile since I've been to a G2G - life has definitely been getting in the way.   I'm missing you guys!  Hope to be there as well.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
We miss you too Mike. I hope you can make it. Tell the ladies you are already booked. ;)

Den, I can assure you there will be no ribbon fireworks, but a prototype high voltage tube amp might appear. Unfortunately, Sol designed and built it, so the chances of a BIG BANG are extremely low. Unless...

But at least it will sound good.
Feel free to bring some ribbon tweeters, get them in SC where they're legal. hehe

Offline stereofool

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:59 PM »
I'm IN  :drool:!!!

Let me know if I can bring anything.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:04:22 PM »
 :thumb:  Thanks Steve...  will do.
Maybe one 2250 to try some big power on the bass.  The woofers are 90dB/8R, with CES raves from sharing only 30wpc between two woofers. But we all know that if 30 is good, 250 must be better.  :twisted:   The Butler 2250 is one of the best amps in the bass that I've heard.   Maybe some cables, I'll let you know.
Thanks! Glad you can make it Steve

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I never really thought the Butler excelled at bass. It is a very fine sounding amp, I found it to be a very liquid midrangy sound with nice highs, bass was a little soft but it didin't matter so much because the mids and highs were so nice.
My brother has a Classe 400 amp, a beast, 120 pounds, toroid the size of a dinner plate, I kid you not, that has ridiculous bass, huge giant subwoofer bass, fast and clean and exciting.
Everything else kinda sucks though. :duh  Very solid state sounding.

Rich, I just checked airfare....very doable( is this a real word?)

My son is excited.
If I can make it what should I bring?
I will bring two bottles of very good wine, but what in equipment?
Being on a plane may make it difficult to bring stuff though?

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
I am glad it is doable Mike. This will be fun meet for everybody.

Don't bring anything big, you'll just worry about it and we'll be bummed if it gets broken. Maybe you want to bring some ICs to compare to JPS? Last warning, you don't have to do this... back away from the JPS while you still can.  :D 

Mmmmm... wine....  8)