Author Topic: New Member; Photo-Steve  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Photo-Steve

New Member; Photo-Steve
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
Greetings,

I am a Portland Oregon based low key semi-retired commercial “people” photographer that has been bitten by the audio bug. As a photographer you pay attention to what you see, now I want to pay attention to what I hear….and appreciate music more.  Piecing together scraps of opinions to develop a satisfying system(s) is such a curious endeavor!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: New Member; Photo-Steve
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
Steve, I just returned from a vacation there this summer. I have been to more than half the lower 48 and I found Oregon to be the most amazing place to be. Screw Florida, Im going to be spending my summers on the Oregon Coast. Nothing finer.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
Welcome PhotoSteve!

What components are you looking at, or picked up so far?

Offline Photo-Steve

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
Hi jimbones,

Thanks for the welcome!  The Oregon Coast can be pristine and nice, especially in the summer, when it isn't raining. :)

Hi richidoo,

Right now I am looking for a very musical DAC for one of my two systems....Possibly a Monarchy NM-24?...or a?  I will consider recommendations.  I like good timber, insight etc. ..a "real" and musical feel.

Current equipment:
CD transport:  Marantz CD6006
Streaming Tidal..which isn't sounding so good??
DACs:  Yamamoto clone, SOtM sdp 1000, Ross Martin super beast.
Preamps: Joule 150 m2, Melos (lower model, modified), Luminous Audio passive.
Amps:  Mac 252 (ss), Levinson 331, TBI, NAD 7020
Speakers:  MartinLogan SL3, Hale Rev.3, Altec Valencia, Vandersteen 2c sig., Dynaudio Audience (mtm)
IC Wire:  Duelund, Beldin (as per Jeff Day)
Speaker wire: Western Electric and Duelund. (as per Jeff Day)

I know it looks schizophrenia, I am still trying to sort things out...all thoughts are welcome.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »
Welcome Steve! Getting bitten by the audio bug is kinda like Lyme disease.....it’s hard to treat sometimes. But with audio, who needs to be cured?? Glad you found us and it’s a great place to be.
As my wife and I are just starting our vacation, we’ll be flying right over Portland tomorrow on our way to Seattle.
Nick

PS  there are some very sharp, experienced guys here who are full of.......good advice :)
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
Seems like you been around the audio block a couple times with your collection of gear.  :thumb:

Tidal HiFi usually sounds pretty good so I'd look eslewhere for the blame if you don't like the sound of Tidal Hifi.   Although there definitely are some lousy sounding albums on Tidal HiFi. And plain $10 Tidal is compressed so not as nice as HiFi.

Offline rikkitik

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
 Hello Steve, and welcome!
 I'm a newbie here as well, new here, not to audio.
 Just a small comment on the DAC though.
 You mention the Monarchy NM, and I thought I could share some experience.
 The Monarchy is a nice unit, but the earlier "M" implementations are a bit cleaner, more immediacy, and nuance. The "NM", (NM= New Model, if you don't already know), and is built with the BB/TI 1704 chip, while the earlier "M" series used the PCM63. The Monarchy M22a,&b, M33, and M24 used the PCM63. The M22c actually "piggybacked" 2 ea PCM63's per channel.
 Another thing that may, or may not, be a limitation, the Monarchy's only have 2 inputs. 1 coax, 1 toslink....that's it. At least 1 more would have been nice.
 Just thought I'd share, being that I have had some experience with Monarchy. They are fairly well constructed units though.
 As with any piece of equipment, YMMV, but if there is ANY way to audition it in YOUR system - do it!
 Welcome!

Rogue Audio 99, ST90, (soon to be DS2/Kootenay), Marchand XM9  Rotel RB991 (bass cabs only), Tyler Acoustics H3's - bi-amped, DIY Peerless subs, DSPeaker 2.0, tuning assistance by REW
 Cary Cinema 11a, Oppo 203, Rotel RB993,Def Tech ctr, B&W surr.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
Hi, Photo Steve.  Our daughters and sons-in-law live in Taigard and we get up there several times a year.  We'll be there for 2 weeks - 18 Dec > 2 Jan.  It would be good to meet a fellow geek.

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
Hello, Photo-Steve.

Welcome to AN.

I'm in Corvallis. If you're in the area, you're welcome to stop in for a visit. I think my system list is located at the bottom of my post
(may even be up-to-date).

That's some nice gear you've got. What kind of music do you spend most of your time listening to?

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS