Author Topic: G2G at Rich's January 31  (Read 18495 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: G2G at Rich's January 31
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »
Hey guys! What a blast that was! After a long drought that was a good way to fire up the coals again. Thanks to everyone for coming over. I hope the next meet won't so so delayed as this one was.   Who's doing the next one? March sometime?  With the AC Carolina Circle reopened, there may be more people interested in hosting.

I too liked Sol Samet's i30 last night. It normally sounds too bassy for me, but with all those warm bags of liquid absorbing so much bass (and oxygen) it sounded just right.  It is always very smooth, detailed and communicative. I think it is a locked design now. Congrats Sol! We used it for a DAC comparison which was pretty fun and informative. The i60 didn't sound as nice, thin midrange a little harsh on the highs. But it had the best bass control and tone.

I liked all the digital sources in different ways, but the comparison helped me understand what aspects I like and don't like. I like my Altmann, but the rest of the system is starting to outperform it now. It is kinda hyper, a strong personality. The Nixon DAC was the most earthy and organic of all the sources, but didn't have any pressure behind the music, you have to go get it. The altmann was next most earthiest, but had some color on it making unconscious absorbtion easier. The oversampling players pressurize the music for totally vegged out enjoyment, but not as flesh and blood realistic, imo. The MW TP was the most pressurized, you can be in a coma and the music will get through to you with that player - a very direct, stimulating connection, a far cry from the stock TP. Raysonic is deceptive in that it sounds so smooth, but is also very active listener, but you don't feel the pressure, it's just an IV drip. The NOS DACs are like real life, you have to pay attenion and listen on purpose, which I love. But it's like reading vs watching a movie, more effort, and take some practice to learn to love it. Carl I think we can improve the Nixon tube even more. I want to hear that!!

Best sound of the night I think was the Raysonic 168 running direct into the Manley Snappers with Black Sands PCs, JPS Aluminata SCs, and JPS SC3 balanced interconnects, Equitech Q1.5 power conditioner, Usher Be-20. And of course lots of room treatments, liquid and solid. That was very, very nice. We tried the Transporter in the same rig, but it's digital volume control sounded bad. With Modwright mods the stock internal attentuator jumpers are disabled. We should build a -20dB attenuator for it next time. The Snappers LOVE their balanced inputs. Surprisingly the Snappers still hold their own among the ubergear that visited.

The ModWright Transporter with maximum fantasy upgrades and nice tubes was a hot performer. It is very revealling and clear. It is very musical and engaging. It is a HUGE upgrade from the stock (cryoed) TP which sounded dead to me. These new upgrades are a further significant improvement over the stock ModWright TP which did not have the refinement of Raysonic or bass control of Altmann at the last G2G several months ago. With the premium mods it is a truly great source now.

We had a second system running upstairs based on Carl's Era D5 speakers and Reality SCs. The room was live and ringy, but sidewall 1st reflection absorbers and front corner bass traps helped, as did socks in the speaker ports at first. But everyone preferred more bass volume with open ports. That system played a lot of different sources. With some well engineered acoustic treatment, it might be made to handle symphonic music with a smaller system. It's tempting and worth investigating, but I am still skeptical. Eventually a HT will go in there.

I set up a headfi with AKG K701 cans, Sol Samet's headphone amp, Altmann DAC and Sonos controller, and lazyboy. A couple people tried it. I will check it out today before returning the amp to Sol who had to leave early.

The Minimax phono sounded great, far better than my Bellari, as it should. But the stock Technics interconnect held back the TT. Thanks for bringing the preamp over Carl. We should do a vinyl meet.

Pictures coming!
Rich

Bigfish8

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Rich:

Thank you again for hosting another terrific G2G. 

My favorite gear of the evening:

The Usher Be - 20's  -- I just love the full range of room filling sound as well as the unbelievable detail provided by these speakers. 

The Raysonic CD-168 CD Player -  I realize that streaming players are the wave of the future but this is one great sounding player, especially when direct coupled to the Manley Snappers via JPS balanced cables.  Thank you Steve for bringing this player to the meet.

Sol's 30 watt/per channel integrated amp.  This is not your average or wimpy 30 watt per channel amp.  This little baby was packed with 30 watts per channel of Sol watts and sounded amazing driving the BE-20's.  Yes, readers this little jewel drove the BE-20's with authority and with plenty of clear volume in Rich's large room.  I am certain Sol will have great success when he takes these to market.

We connected my fully modded ModWright Transporter (including latest Turbo and Bybees) with EML-5U4G and croyed RCA 6CG7 signal tubes.  It was also at the last meet but without the turbo upgrades and with different tubes.  The Transporter sounded good in the system but I learned that it is really a tough piece of gear for G2G's because people tend to prefer to listen to their own music.  Ripping/streaming is not as easy as simply installing a CD into a player.  Oh well, the ModWright Transporter is great when I am home sitting on the couch with total access to my music library with only having to move my fingers!  It has taken the TV remote control to a whole new level. :rofl:

There is one thing we clearly learned about the ModWright Transporter at this meet.  We tried driving the Manley Snappers direct using the balanced connections and then controlling the volume with the Transporter.  Guys, trust me when I say that an unmodified Squeezebox would sound equally as well direct connected to the amps!  The ModWright Transporter needs a good preamp in the mix with the Transporter volume set to max to enable it to deliver the full range of music it is capable of providing.

Approximately three quarters through the evening we had what the guys affectionally named a "dac-off."  Richard had a North Star Unit, Carl brought a Nixon and Rich had the Altmann.  The Raysonic was the source, JPS Aluminata RCAs were in the chain and the amp was Sol's 30 watt/channel unit.  All the units were connected to an Equi=tech balanced power unit.  The three DACs were all very good and there were very slight sound differences between them.  If I needed a DAC I could be happy with any of the three.

We had hoped to experiment with the impact of the Equi=tech and compare some cables but the evening passed all too quickly.  I was really hoping to hear a comparison of those JPS Aluminatas and some of the other cables present.  Guys, these babies definitely fit the category of audio jewelry! :rofl:

The evening ended for me when the guys connected Carl's Minimax phono amp to Rich's turntable to spin some vinyl.  Yes, it brought back old memories but convinced me that I will leave my old Denon Turntable right where it has been for years, in the closet.  The vinyl has a distinct, sort of romantic quality to this old music lover but I am pretty sure I will remain satisfied with my streaming digital music.  It was fun though!

I made it upstairs to hear the second system briefly.  Carl's bookshelf sized speakers were being driven at the time by an old early 70's vintage Technique Receiver.  It was a very nice sounding system for a smaller room.  I never did hear the new speakers Rich constructed with the Feastex Drivers. 

The evening went by way to fast and I had a great time.  It was great seeing everyone again and thank you again Rich for hosting.

Ken
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:22:57 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
You're very welcome Ken!
Thanks to Shane (hometheaterdoc) for the loan of the JPS cables. Without comparison to other wires it is hard to imagine the contribution they made, but trust me, it is BIG. Shane was trying to make the g2g, but had a service call with one of his HT customers, which he prioritized above socializing. Day before the big game I can understand the urgency, but we missed you Shane! I too wanted to show off the incredible differences the Aluminata wires make, even over the Superconductors, and also the equitech. We will try to do those comparisons next time if possible. The JPS wires we played are all for sale because Shane is a JPS dealer. I'm sure he would be happy to allow AN members an in home audition, as he has so generously for me and others in the past.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 06:37:37 AM »
Somebody left some CDs here:

Eva Cassida Songbird
Billboard 1969 Hits
Aaron Neville The Grand Tour
Alison Kraus Now That I've Found You

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »
The CDs are Sol's.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
Be advised we don't have a microwave.....

I've been thinking about this Rich....why don't you have a microwave ??? :-k

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 05:00:43 AM »
I like my food prepared the old fashioned way - with lots of TLC. 

ik632

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 08:09:34 AM »
Be advised we don't have a microwave.....

I've been thinking about this Rich....why don't you have a microwave ??? :-k

It's actually for audio reasons. We don't want the interference messing with the harmonics  :duh

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »
Ok, Rich....  I'm volunteering you to host again next Jan.  I'll mark my calendar and I'm headed your way.

Thanks for the tube amp advice.

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »
We'll be here whenever you can make it Rob!