Author Topic: Spotify - online music service  (Read 31130 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Spotify - online music service
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »
Popular in Europe, finally coming to North America now.  It has some interesting features.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/spotify-more-just-hype

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Spotify - online music service
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
I've got a free account...

The good: I was able to easily find some pretty obscure music!  Pretty nice UI and the ability to listen to pretty much whatever you want whenever you want.   

The bad: the free version is low res.

The ugly:  the free version is loaded with ads (visual and audio)

Would I pay $10/month for the premium service?   Hmmm... Premium means playback via squeezebox and with a much higher resolution (but alas, not lossless).   I admit I'm tempted but, no probably not until it is truly lossless.   

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
Ive been using Spotify for a week, the middle subscription. Its awesome. You can play any song from any album, make playlists... Learn about new artists, etc. SQ is pretty good.. Premium Subscription gives you a higher level 384 mp3, but the SQ  as is is way better than Sirius which I was paying almost the same amount for.
Its cool ndude.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Indeed. It's like the world is your personal library.
You can play what you want, when you want, and however many times you want.
Between Pandora, YouTube and Spotify, the only reason left to be a true "audiophile" is for pure sound quality.

Bob

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Ive been using Spotify for a week, the middle subscription. Its awesome. You can play any song from any album, make playlists... Learn about new artists, etc. SQ is pretty good.. Premium Subscription gives you a higher level 384 mp3, but the SQ  as is is way better than Sirius which I was paying almost the same amount for.

I honestly don't understand how Sirius/xm stays in business.  The SQ is truly awful.  I can barely understand what people are saying on talk radio due to the digital compression... The online version sounded crappy to me as well.  I guess they can't figure out how to get more bandwidth over the satellite. 

In any case, I found this article pretty cool comparing different online music services for more critical listeners:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-audio-quality-streaming-music-services-home-and-portably
I really enjoy listening to music.