Author Topic: about breaking in my Antelope Zodiac dac  (Read 32499 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: about breaking in my Antelope Zodiac dac
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »
If you really want I can break it in for you.  :thumb:

Werd,  that is an extremely kind offer. My only question is .... would I ever get it back from you??  :lol:
About 150 hours so far. Still some harshness on vocals, strings, horns. That minor harshness is pretty consistent, though, with the SB 2 dac sound. I think new, shielded cables will do the trick.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 06:34:48 AM »
  Nick make no changes until you have 500 hours on DAC.The new chips require more time to settle as well as the power supply.
  Do you use a computer or transport ? You may be quite surprised using a quality transport in lieu of computer.
  CEC, PS Audio, Parasound and Woo Audio transports re recommended over any computer we ever tried in direct comparison.
   You also may consider a PIAudio Digi-Buss for well digital. Very affective at removing all the nasty high frequency noise.
    Footers s well can make the top sound hard. Sty away from brass cones. Try Herbie's first then compare to other soft footers.
     HAVE FUN !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »

Werd,  that is an extremely kind offer. My only question is .... would I ever get it back from you??  :lol:

Would the answer have something to do with farm animals and aviation?  :rofl:

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
  Nick make no changes until you have 500 hours on DAC.The new chips require more time to settle as well as the power supply.
  Do you use a computer or transport ? You may be quite surprised using a quality transport in lieu of computer.
  CEC, PS Audio, Parasound and Woo Audio transports re recommended over any computer we ever tried in direct comparison.
   You also may consider a PIAudio Digi-Buss for well digital. Very affective at removing all the nasty high frequency noise.
    Footers s well can make the top sound hard. Sty away from brass cones. Try Herbie's first then compare to other soft footers.
     HAVE FUN !!

charles

Charles,

I'm plugging away at putting on the hours. I won't do anything definitive until I reach 500. I have had my music on my pc and haven't used a player in a long time. Don't even own a player. I have followed the Digibuss postings and know Dave's equipment is well regarded. As I do have a budget, it would be the cables before the Digibuss. And then there's Pete's digital pc to consider as well. Interesting about the footers. The Antelope dac has metal feet on it..maybe 1 1/2 " diameter and it's sitting on a glass shelf. I would definitely get advice from Steve? at Herbie's.

I am hoping one of the members has an RCA digital cable for me to try at some point. That would give me an idea what impact a quality digital cable would make.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »

Would the answer have something to do with farm animals and aviation?  :rofl:

Ummm...yes it would  :rofl:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:49 AM »
  Nick I will tell you that metal footers on glass can be troublesome in getting all you can.
   One would want to decouple the DAC from the shelf, especially glass. IMO footers will give you a big bang as glass is a material that looks great but does not work well for resonance control.
   Experiment by just putting three tennis balls under the DAC nd off the glass. This will show you the benefit. Then go footer wild and try everything.
   The most effective footer for a glass shelf is either Herbie's or yes tennis balls go figure.
    You are going to be very surprised as to the result. Have fun trying.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
  Nick I will tell you that metal footers on glass can be troublesome in getting all you can.
   One would want to decouple the DAC from the shelf, especially glass. IMO footers will give you a big bang as glass is a material that looks great but does not work well for resonance control.
   Experiment by just putting three tennis balls under the DAC nd off the glass. This will show you the benefit. Then go footer wild and try everything.
   The most effective footer for a glass shelf is either Herbie's or yes tennis balls go figure.
    You are going to be very surprised as to the result. Have fun trying.

charles

Charles,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some things this weekend when I'm back from my trip
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »
I have 300 hours on it so far and I borrowed some digital cables from a Las Vegas Audio Club member. I am using the MIT Plus digital that is adjustable. I haven't  found any info yet on how to do the adjustments. The sound is getting very, very good. The MIT has lowered the noise floor and the increase in resolution is quite a treat. I have some old Doris Day, Bing Crosby etc stuff and it truly is lots of fun to find out how much more information is on those discs. It would be very interesting to hear a truly reference digital cable, but I'm not willing or able to mess with my budget and there are IC's and SC's to buy as well.
Nick   
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
  Nick digital cables are a critical link. IMO more than other applications.
   The key is a TRUE 75 Ohm cable. The other is a BNC connector on DAC, transport and cable. USB for audio is not recommended by me. A converter from USB to BNC is the bomb.
   Now the manf of cable depends on what you want in sonic signature. Warm ? bright ? Neutral? etc.
   Years ago a Belkin copper was the kaboom cable either silver or copper versions. Different character using silver or copper. $18 for that cable. Cannot find one as no one gives them up.
   Today more choices, actually too many. You can go nuts picking the one.
   So to narrow the chase. consider the character you desire and do your homework to find such. Again a true 75 Ohm cable is a must. Only BNC connector  can give you that.
    Happy trails.

charles

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
When shopping for a digital cable look at your speaker wire. Your speaker wire and digital cable are best served up sonic wise if they are the same. Or at least the same type be litz or any other braid, silver, copper, etc... The two wires that have the most effect are speaker and digital (i guess phono too). Its a good strategy in focusing towards a particular quality or sound you are trying to achieve with wires. It is easier to achieve if the two most important wires are on the same page sonic wise. It works but i have also heard odd ball combinations that are great too. That way becomes more of a hit and miss. That is how i do it in the Ole house of Werd..  :lol:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
When shopping for a digital cable look at your speaker wire. Your speaker wire and digital cable are best served up sonic wise if they are the same. Or at least the same type be litz or any other braid, silver, copper, etc... The two wires that have the most effect are speaker and digital (i guess phono too). Its a good strategy in focusing towards a particular quality or sound you are trying to achieve with wires. It is easier to achieve if the two most important wires are on the same page sonic wise. It works but i have also heard odd ball combinations that are great too. That way becomes more of a hit and miss. That is how i do it in the Ole house of Werd..  :lol:

Oh holy one of the House of Werd. I agree that source ICs and speaker wire make the most difference.
    You don't wear a silly hat now do you ?  :rofl:

charles

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
What I have right now is a lot of detail and a pretty neutral, but still a bit hard top end. The MIT digital has lowered the noise floor. I'd like to retain as much of the detail as I can, but tip things a bit toward a warm midrange. Bass is of little consequence to me due to my listening tastes and room limitations. Everything I've heard about TWL points to a more warm, tubelike and engaging sound. That's very intriguing. I did audition Zen Dave's stuff a couple of years ago and it was excellent, but yikes the price for his high end cables is quite high.

I agree regarding having cables of the same type and for me the same manufacturer as well. Trying to mix and match too many cables would drive me nuts. I just don't enjoy that.

As to the connectors being BNC, I'm still running my SB2 with RCA out and the Antelope does not have BNC. I don't see much point in adding Rca to bnc adapters if the Rca  cable is true 75 ohm.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
Oh, by the way , I have. about 425 hours so far and the improvement is in the presentation of more detail. I think the bit of harshness is cable related
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Well, the countdown to 500 hours is over. I passed the mark today and am listening as I write this. Surprisingly, the A/C was good at noon, but then again, it's a sleepy hollow town mid day on Sundays.

This is one very nice dac. Great resolution which makes it fun going through old discs to hear what's really present. The soundstage is wide, high and pretty deep. The texture of violins and guitars is beautiful. Bells and cymbals sound as they should. The decay of instruments is another revelation. Vocals have a hint of sibilance and this is a very huge improvement from the early hours of breakin. My speakers are only two ways, so I can't give you the low down, so to speak, on the bass. But that has never been a priority for me anyway.

I have had contact with a well known cable manufacturer who offers one digital cable, but he also highly recommended a cable from a Canadian company. I plan on auditioning at least those 2 and maybe 1 or 2 others. I have kept using the MIT Plus digital cable. It's good, but I think a bit veiled. Interestingly, the cable manufacturer told me he felt the same about the MIT.

So, that's it. I listened a bit haphazardly at times getting wrapped up in the music so much. I should have had a notebook with me much more, especially when certain songs captured details that were worth noting. But I kept sitting in my chair figuring I'll remember the album and that particular song at a later time.  Well....... my memory ain't what it used to be  :duh  I'll be more prepared when the digital cables arrive  :lol:

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
What type of digital are you looking for BNC, XLR, or spdif?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,