Author Topic: My audio journey ..... a long post  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
My audio journey ..... a long post
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »
On another thread, Rich asked me to describe my "audio journey". So after 2 cups of coffee and trying to clear the cobwebs out of my memory....here goes.
Ever since I was a kid..maybe age 12, I've really enjoyed listening to music. In my college years, I had a buddy James and we used to go to an audio dealer in Beverly Hills and listen to Marl Levinson gear. They were very kind to put up with us. Around that same time, we'd go to the local Pacific Stereo store and we were exposed to Different brands, the specifics of which I can't recall. My buddy James then got an integrated and bought a TT. The name Grace comes to mind and I think it was a tonearm. This was probably the late 70s or early 80s.
In the 80s, I took the plunge and bought an Infinity amp..I think..and a Revox tuner and B & O linear tracking TT. That was my system until I met a Linn dealer in the late 80s. Per his recommendations, I bought an LP 12 and Rogers LS 3.5s??  It all sounded pretty good, but it was more of a wall of sound rather than a soundstage of dimensional its and musical detail and nuances.
A couple of years later, I met another audio dealer who did a home demo..at his place. He spent at least 2 to 3 hours dialing in my audio preferences. I bought a Cambridge dac from him and the Basis Ovation TT with Graham 1.5 arm which I have to this day. I also got VAC 90 monos from Mike the dealer.
Along the way, I tried a Music Reference RM 10? And then got Shahinian Diapason speakers. Pretty good sound and there was actually a nice soundstage and detail to the music. I then met another guy locally to me in Los Angeles who made silver braided cables. He gave me a great deal and I bought the ICs and SCs. They were unshielded and the etched sound and sibilance drove me nuts for 2 years. Somehow I connected with Audience down towards San Diego and I got talked into a custom preamp. I also bought a Metaxis amp that they modded to provide more power to drive the Diapasons.
I sold the Diapsons and bought ProAc Response 2s?which were pretty good.
About 10 years ago, I bought the CIA D 100s and that was a nice improvement. Also got rid of my CD player and went the SB2 rout and had the SB modded by Anthony Padilla .. Maui Mods . and he built a great power supply for the SB as well. Then added the Black Sand Silver Reference power cords per the info I got here at AN and that was truly the beginning of very good sound. I then added a McCormack amp that Steve McCormack modded for me. Oh, during that time, I bought upgraded SP Technology Timepiece 2s that I have to this day and intend to keep for a long time. Maybe via AN or AC, I heard about the Straley cables and purchased those. I haven't used a dac, just the SB 2 to the amp.
My latest purchase is the Antelope Audio Gold dac which I am hooking up today. As I recall, former active member Ken has the Antelope Silver which he really liked.
My next purchase will be a Auralic Aries that has an external power supply. Then new cables, phono stage, cartridge, new bearing for the TT and last converting all my LPs to digital for convenience sake.
That's the plan. I'll buy used if I can this will be long term as I just can't afford to get different gear all the time. As an aside, my system sounds better than most of the dealers, CESand other shows I've attended.
That's where I've been the last few years.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: My audio journey ..... a long post
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »
Very impressed. some fine equipment. I am sure i will need to consult with you at some point  ;)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
   Mom and Dad always had an LP on the console. music was always me as a young'n. Sinatra, Count Basie, Ella, etc.
   My first stereo was a Sony receiver and B&O TT. Beogram to be exact. Fisher 9 driver speakers.
    Next up was Sansui tuner and integrated using Heco Hoerns from germany speakers. At this time had no clue about the hobby just loved the music.
     One day while doing a construction project in NYC I ventured into Stereo Exchange and heard for the first time a high end system.
     Apogee and Counterpoint through a Linn TT. I was floored and made the plunge. Buying the Linn LP12, AR SP8 pre and Bryston 4B.
     The AR blew up so traded for a Klyne SK-5A pre. A wonder for its time. Actually a classic IMO.
      Speakers were still Hecoo with Alon in between Then I bought Mirage M3si sold the Bryston and bought a Classe DR25. What a combo. I miss that sound to this day.
      Then by mistake sold Klyne and bought a CAT pre. Even better.
       Sold the Mirage and got Maggie 3A's. The Classe  was VG but the AR DR250 servo was a match made in heaven. So bought that amp. Maggie and AR used each others products to test.
     For years on end it was the system to beat. But but then came the Pipedreams and game over for me. For now that is.
    In between all of that I was lucky to be included in Harry Pearsons listening group at his home.
     I leaned allot from the experts which I am forever grateful. It was all uphill from there for me. Had some gear failure and speaker repairs but all in all a wonderful  journey.
     Along the years cables, power conditioners, racks, amps and Pre have changed. Always a step forward not sideways.
     Then the BSG QOL just changed the game. Until then sound was VG . What ever it does it gave me more of a 3D presentation and got the phase right.
     Now as a dealer and audiophile the fun is lessening but the love of music lives on.
      I've been at this for over 40 years learned allot along the way with open eyes. Our hobby is like a job where practical experience is very helpful. I was fortunate to learn from the best. I hope you all are eager to still learn and enjoy your hobby.

charles

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:04:19 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
Many audiophiles like me don't have the experience to know what a musical instrument sounds like and to be able to evaluate what's out there because we've never really been exposed to it, especially in our home environment for an extended period. That will always be a disadvantage for me, but it is what it is. That being said, I know what I like for my home and that really doesn't equate to a concert hall scenario as the presentation is so much different.
After many years and many $$$ spent, I do want detail, neutrality edging on the side of warm and an expansive and 3 dimensional soundstage. I've also paid very close attention to who posts what at AN and AC and am influenced by the totality of their posts and the system that they've put together.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us Nick!
Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
Glad to do it, Rich. Would have been fun to read more posts on this subject
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax