Author Topic: Game Changers  (Read 9742 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Game Changers
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
What was the game changer for me, a loan.

Right after I got married in 1984 I found a really righteous deal on a set of used DQ-10s at Audio Exchange in Roosevelt Field. The 40 watt Yamaha integrated amp I had at the time was simply not enough to drive them, so I ended up buying Hafler 110 pre and 220 power amp kits and building them myself. Having never owned anything better than a pair of $80 Lafayette speakers before,  I was in hog heaven. I had a Thorens 105 , had just discovered MoFi records and was thinking to myself, it doesn't get much better than this. At the time my friend Jimmy (who you now know here as jimbones) was into high end audio and kept telling me, it doesn't sound bad, but you could really use another preamp. I though he was crazy. The engineering part of my brain said its only a volume control, what could a more expensive preamp possibly do? And so I just kind of blew off his suggestions.

Well Jim wasn't about to give up that easily. Not too long after that Jim got married and right before the wedding packed up all of his audio gear to move it out of his mother's house with the intention setting it up of in their new apartment when he returned from his honeymoon. The day before his wedding Jimmy showed up at my door with an Audio Research box in his hands. He said I need someone to babysit this for a week or so. Why don't you put it in your system and listen to it while I'm away. Again I thought he was crazy, but we had had the preamp discussion so many times that I figured I would plug it in just to shut him up. I wired it in, let it warm up for a while and then put on a record to listen to. I didn't get 10 seconds into the first cut before I was saying to myself, Son of a bitch, I really do need a new preamp.......  :duh

And the rest is history.  8)

But the story does not end there, as Karma has a way of evening things out. We both bought houses, had kids and fell away from the audio to some extent as parental duties demanded more of our time. Jimmy more so than me. About ten years or so ago Jimmy pretty much washed his a hands of the hobby. He would listen from time to time, but decided that his system was what it was and there was no need to touch it anymore. Then in the fall of 2009 I found a deal I could not pass up on a pair of Theil CS-6s. So my son Bobby and myself drove from Long Island up to Framingham Mass brought them home to set up in the Man Cave. I was thrilled with them and one of the first people I invited over for a listening session was Jim. After listening to these speakers and not too long later the ARC VT-200 tube amp Jimmy was once again bitten by the Nervosa bug... big time.  :D  And since then, I think he has upgraded everything in his audio room with the exception of the carpet.

Payback's a bitch.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Ha ha thanks Tom. Yea, along with our families, our system grew up together in a way. Just a reminder Tom, I DID change the carpet in the listening room!  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »
  Mono cartridges added a completely new dimension to well mono. Never before has mono sounded so good.
  A $99 Grado started it now looking for a Myabi oh my !

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
Game changer for me was meeting and listening to Michael Green on AC. He showed how to release tension off my system by releasing the chassis from the sound stage by an easy twist of the screw. He did more than that though. It taught me conventional wisdom should always be challenged. From there I was able to pull drivers out of mains to sit and listen. See what it does and how it sounds. It showed me where the tweeter was in my sound stage. From there I was able to hear better at adjusting highs. I would never have led myself to do that before then.

I kept moving forward. It occurred to me a speaker should sound like an instrument. Pulled out dampening to mimic an upright bass. Why would I listen to an Upright bass with a heavily damped speaker when an Upright bass uses no dampening at all? It didn't make sense.  Stuff like that  :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »
I met Michael in person on two occasions. Once at a store demo and one night he was the featured guest speaker at one of our AudioSyndrome meetings. At the time he had just recently come out with the RoomTunes line of acoustic treatments. Five minutes was all it took to convince me of the importance of room treatments. Great products at a very reasonable price. And in addition to being very goods at what he does, Michael is just a hell of a nice guy.

Maybe not "the" game changer in my time in the hobby but definitely a major turning point in my journey.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
I have never met him in person. He moves you away from conventional thought. What a room should sound like, basically the entire room tune philosophy made me look at it differently. It isnt so much that he is correct, but it made me realize conventional hi fi wisdom can be boring. I do think his idea behind room treatments is correct or works at least.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »
This may be one of my pet peeves, but if a product works the idea is correct. What is often not correct it the way a company (or it's marketing folks) try to explain how something works. It really winds me up when somebody either doesn't understand the engineering and/or science behind a problem, or doesn't think the public could understand it, so the just make up some pseudo science BS to explain it away. (as soon a somebody tries to explain away a change in sound by claiming some kind of sub molecular Quantum effect my BS detector starts to go off and my eyes start to roll. I would much rather have somebody just honestly say "I have no idea why this works, but I have tried it in over x# of systems and it always improved the sound."

In Michael Greene's case his RoomTunes rely and simple physics and geometry. He locates areas in a room where a number of reflected wavefronts intersect creating a situation where they either reinforce one another or cancel each other out. His devices either absorb some reflections or simply redirect them to another part of the room so these intersections to not occur to the point where they have a detrimental effect on the sound. Simple product, simple plausible physics based explanation and a product that just does what it claims it will do. Win - Win  - Win

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »
3 changers that I can claim

1) realizing that anything can be improved, especially after going inside and upgrading caps and such. A DIY mod can be great, but it does take time to make mistakes and back them out, and some knowledge of what you are doing, or you could make things worse.

2) getting my own dedicated space, in the basement. Best of all is it is not a common living space so I don't have to keep it immaculate :-)

3) getting Apogee's. This showed me what can be accomplished with the right equipment and the right space.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
  Adding some game changers. Digibuss and Madscientist black discus and magic tubes.
   These devices used separately or together have given me added dimension and more of a 3D sound stage. The Digibuss  [ when fully broken in ] brings out the body that CD are MIA.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
Working my real estate business has been a game changer... I never get to listen to my main system anymore!  :roll:

Even though there's a lot of truth to the above statement, there are a number of things that made big differences for me.

1) Dedicated circuit for audio only
2) N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp (Hybrid vs. my old SS)
3) 2012 Mod.Upgrade to my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen.III speakers
4) VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H (vs. my Linn LP12)
5) TWL power cords

Overall, the biggest thing was my change from all solid-state to tubes. (Yes, it took 26 years but I finally made that leap!)

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

Overall, the biggest thing was my change from all solid-state to tubes. (Yes, it took 26 years but I finally made that leap!)

'Bout time.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »
My biggest game changers was upgrading all the cabling (IC, Power). Replaced all the old Audioquest stuff with Nordost. The Nordost cables seem to work real well with my system and the sound stage is very smooth. 

I am toying with the idea of vibration isolation on the equipment and speakers. I have seen a variety of devices demonstrated and most of them seem to make a difference, if very slight in my opinion.

I am looking at an intergraded stand/vibration control system like the Harmonic Resolution Systems audio racks. Maybe a bit overkill, but the racks look nice and do double duty as vibration isolators.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC