Author Topic: Game Changers  (Read 9711 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Game Changers
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
  What product for you has changed the game the most ? Power ? ? Cable ? Cart ? Tweak ?  Caps ? Parts ? What ??
   For me the BSG QOL Power conditioning and a dedicated circuit.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Game Changers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
Getting Black Sand Silver Reference power cords and a great external power supply for my SB 2. A real eye-opener and that was after being in audio for at least 15 years
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »
Beethoven Symphony box set on BIS. That has driven  my audio quest.

The recession has also been a big game changer for me, sold all my branded gear and went 100% DIY in 2010.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
Well this has varied from year to year. My BPT BP2.5 balanced power conditioner is what started it all for me, drawing my interest from being a videophile to an audiophile (I'm boh actually)

But now today, with my only audio source being PC audio, hands down it's the Uptone Audio USB Regen. This little gem is placed between your computer and your Dac. It takes the USB data signal and regenerates a completely new data signal for your Dac. The Regen also completely blocks the 5v USB current (for Dacs that need it) and provides it own clean 5v. The Regen comes with a MeanWell SMPS, mainly to keep the price down to only $175. But for me, even with the SMPS, the Regen was a game changer. The PC audio when played loud as always caused listeners fatigue and that has sucked even though I don't hit the volumes I use to 10 years ago. The Regen has greatly improved my audio quality, most notably the bass and I'm seeing volume increases a good 6-10 db over what I'd normally listen to comfortably.

I'm currently waiting for a Paul Hynes SR3-7 linear power supply to replace the MeanWell even though I'm perfectly happy with the SMPS (while many others are not as their systems are SMPS sensitive).

Cheers,
Robin

Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »
My modwright kwa 100se power amp
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
Jim your at 666 on your post ct
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 06:26:14 PM »
Jim your at 666 on your post ct

He should have hit that on Halloween.  :twisted:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
ha ha  :rofl: :p
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »
This is kind of a post combining a reply to where has your system gone since 2011 and game changers. My system has evolved some since 2011, over time I have upgraded my ICs and speaker cables. This year I have added power cords from Waveform Fidelity. These changes markedly increased the resolution, focus and three dimensionality of the system.
 A game changer this year for me has been adding subs to the system with digital delay. By operating them 180 degrees out of phase with the front speakers and delaying their output until the bass sound waves from front of the room are just about to hit the rear wall, I am partially canceling out the zones of standing waves in the room. This has made as big an improvement in the three dimensionality of the system as putting in a new preamp or power amp with intrinsically superior imaging and sound staging. Basically it uncorks your systems fundamental performance capabilities in this area. Better bass, of course, comes along for the ride.
 I heard another game changer at this years CAF and that was the open baffle servo subwoofers in Rollo's room. This was some of the very best reproduction of bass I have ever heard. Particularly remarkable considering the size of the room involved. The other cool thing is that if your room is much larger and you are concerned about having adequate bass headroom, the system would easily scale up, without having a larger footprint in the room. It would just be enough taller to accommodate another woofer or two in addition to the three 12inchers already in the pair of subs.
 Bass heads take note. One word describes this setup, BADASS!
Scotty

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
Scotty. I have a Velo HGS12 sub. But I also have a digital time delay unit which I haven't used in ages. Do you think I should run the LF feed through the delay first? Seems like you can tune it to the room.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »
Sound waves travels at rough 1ft./msec.. My main speakers are about 8ft. in front of me and the rear wall is about 10ft. behind me. I want a chance to hear the bass before I try to cancel it out, so I set the rear subs with a delay of 15msec. or 15ft., that way the sound from the front gets canceled out about 3ft. from the rear wall. Fairly simple math when you think about it. I set the crossover for 125hz at 24dB/oct with a Bessel filter function.
 You should at least give it a try, this might get you better bass quality, less boom and help the sound staging at the same time.
What are the main speakers and is their bass extension similar to the sub?
Scotty

Sidebar,
The processor I use is a QSC DSP 30, which is kind of a prosound Swiss army knife although useless above the bass frequencies as the A/D processor operates at 24/48. When the processor was designed over 15 years ago 24/48 was good stuff for pro equipment. 

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
I think the major game changer for me were power changes. I changed the wall outlets to really quality ones. I even sprayed the copper wire that attaches to the outlets with DeOxit. After changing the power outlets I added Isolation Transformers between outlets and my gear. With the various Isolation transformers I changed the outlets to Porter Port outlets. Last but not least were thicker power cord changes to all my gear. Before installing them I cleaned the blades with DeOxit too.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »
Scotty. I have a Velo HGS12 sub. But I also have a digital time delay unit which I haven't used in ages. Do you think I should run the LF feed through the delay first? Seems like you can tune it to the room.

Jim, let me know if you want to try this. I have a 25ft Monster 1000 sub cable you can borrow.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
Thanks Tom. I have a 15 footer should be long enough. This will be interesting.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »
Thanks Tom. I have a 15 footer should be long enough. This will be interesting.

Yes it will, Scotty knows from what he speaks. Les and I heard His results. Very impressive for sealed subs.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.