Author Topic: Things you can do for free that improve sound quality  (Read 8898 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Things you can do for free that improve sound quality
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »
dflee was looking for system improvements that are low cost. It's a great idea for a thread!

"Things you can do for free that improve sound quality"

I'll start:

Connect speaker cable to biwirable speaker diagonally, + on bass, - on treble. Leave jumpers normal.

Choose vinyl, if available

Improve speaker placement for smoother bass response at listening position, like WASP, Master Set, Iron Chef, etc.

Take care of yourself. Music sounds better when you are happy! Protein, sleep, minerals, exercise, help others

Remove any unused, idle speakers from the room

Reduce noises in the room like fireplace rattles, HVAC vents

Tighten your recepticle screws and wirenuts all the way back to your service panel

Listen with a friend

What are your favorite free or really cheap tweaks?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Things you can do for free that improve sound quality
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »
Here's a few: 

-- avoid using laptop chargers, iPhone chargers, or anything that has a switched mode power supply on the same circuit as any of your gear

-- if you have dimmer switches, turn those lights off if you can (I find this is true even when they're not on the same circuit)

-- in fact, turn all the lights off, turn up the music, close your eyes and just listen

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Clean your ears
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
Hmmm.

I would say clean the prongs of your power cords with a good chamois type cloth or if you want to spend a little bit of money buy some contact cleaners and clean those power cord blades, fuses ends or even RCA jacks etc. Use a steel brush on tube pins.

Another thing I would say is ,if applicable/possible, plug your spade terminated wires into your speaker terminals or amp jacks from the top. This way your speaker wire already starts more off the ground than if it was connected from the bottom. I attached a pic of my dusty KEFs.

Cable routing. No one likes looking at a snake pit and from what I recall people telling me a cable snake pit is just an invitation to add more noise to your system.

Rich's initial post I give a major :thumb: too. Especially the health one. I swear after being more healthy and dropping some pounds when I listened to my office system it sounded even sweeter.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »
"Remove any unused, idle speakers from the room"

Why?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »
They vibrate in sympathy with your main speakers and muddy the sound
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
Clean your ears

Oh no, back to the imfamous ear wax thread again.  :lol:

For those of your who were not around for that one, here is a link:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1932.0
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »

Exactly.

Linn dealers made a big issue of this when auditioning their speakers even  to the point of removing all telephones from the room. Dint want the speaker in the ear piece vibrating in sympathy don't ya now :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

I had a pair of Warfedale floorstanders that acted as good bass stops. Too much clutter though.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
Well I have my home theater setup in same room, 7 more speakers and a big SVS box sub. Oh well.

I just took the 2 10" subs I had been trying to incorporate into my 2 channel system out of the room for now.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
I tink a lot of the stuff that Linn was doing was hype more than anything else. I can understand the problem if you were to go into a big electronics store like Circuit City used to be and there were literally 20 or 30 pairs of speakers in this big showroom. That could genterate a problem of sympatheitic virations (not to mention horrible speaker placement, usually crappy speaker cable, plus chaeper switchers), but one or two pairs, probably not that much.

I think the biggest advantage of what the Linn dealers did was that the one pair of speakers in the room was always placed in the sweet spot for that speaker. And with as much time as most of us have spent fine tuning speaker placement  1/4" at a time, I don't think it is a strech to say that placig one pair of speaker in an optimal spot wiill give you a better demo tha having the speakers placed in less than optimum postitions because of the need to have other speakers in the room.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
I tink a lot of the stuff that Linn was doing was hype more than anything else. I can understand the problem if you were to go into a big electronics store like Circuit City used to be and there were literally 20 or 30 pairs of speakers in this big showroom. That could genterate a problem of sympatheitic virations (not to mention horrible speaker placement, usually crappy speaker cable, plus chaeper switchers), but one or two pairs, probably not that much.

I think the biggest advantage of what the Linn dealers did was that the one pair of speakers in the room was always placed in the sweet spot for that speaker. And with as much time as most of us have spent fine tuning speaker placement  1/4" at a time, I don't think it is a strech to say that placig one pair of speaker in an optimal spot wiill give you a better demo tha having the speakers placed in less than optimum postitions because of the need to have other speakers in the room.

Agree, but that was the tag line that they were saying is that it degrades sound. How much? Damned if i know. But if you think about the whole Linn thing it is a great marketing gimmick. Clear out all your competitors leaving your product the sole product on the dealers floor. kind of like how soft drink companies crowd out the competition for shelf space.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:51:51 PM »
Gene, you could turn on the HT receiver for the unused speakers, that will keep them from moving much because the amp is actively playing "nothing" into them, which kinda locks them in place via back EMF. The amps will electrically damp stray movement to some degree, but maybe not 100%. See if you notice any difference on/off.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Interesting thought Rich, I'll try it this weekend.

Gene, you could turn on the HT receiver for the unused speakers, that will keep them from moving much because the amp is actively playing "nothing" into them, which kinda locks them in place via back EMF. The amps will electrically damp stray movement to some degree, but maybe not 100%. See if you notice any difference on/off.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
Interesting thought Rich, I'll try it this weekend.

Interesting concept. I would be interested in hearing about how this works out as well.

Gene, you are hitting the big time, I see you just passed the 2k post milestone.  8)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9