Author Topic: Free services  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Danny Richie

• Seeking Help
Free services
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I posted this on our Facebook page this morning and thought I'd share it with you guys here as well.

For all of you guys out there trying your hand at building or designing your own speakers, we offer a free measuring and testing service. You just cover the shipping cost both ways and we'll run a complete set of measurements, plus provide evaluation, and recommendations (for FREE). The measurements include on axis responses, vertical off axis responses, horizontal off axis responses, individual driver responses, a spectral decay, and the impedance response.

But if it's a big heavy speaker then you might have to show up with it and help with set up and take down, or cover a handling fee.

Here are some examples of how we test and measure. In this case we measured a group of speakers for Stereo Mojo. http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/StereomojoSmallSpeakerShootout2007Measurements.htm

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Free services
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
Danny,
What a great service. Assuming the measurements reveal problems, will you be able to make suggestions as to how to fix or control those issues?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
I know Danny has made a lot of great suggestions for my speaker projects!

Offline Danny Richie

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:57:55 AM »
Danny,
What a great service. Assuming the measurements reveal problems, will you be able to make suggestions as to how to fix or control those issues?
Nick

Yes. And most people would be surprised at how many issues there can be and how easily they can be fixed once identified.

Offline Danny Richie

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:26 AM »
wow.  complete awesomeness.

do you do this for commercial offerings as well?

doug s.

Yes I do offer this for commercially built speakers. And we have upgraded or assisted in upgrades to more commercial models than I can keep track of. I'll copy a post from our forum on AC about that in a few minutes.

And you'd be surprised how many companies have sent us product for measuring and testing.

Offline Danny Richie

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
Here is some information about upgrading various commercially available speakers that pertains to any speaker.

1) Replace the binding posts with tube connectors. You can even leave your old binding posts and just parallel them to a set of tube connectors. The tube connectors mount easily through any cabinet wall regardless of the thickness. You simply drill a 7/16" diameter hole for each connector. The improvement over typical binding post cups is pretty significant with a level of clarity across the board. http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx  Even if you are using some of the highest quality binding posts on the market there is still improvement to be had by going to tube connectors.

This improves any speaker, and is easy for the owner to perform the upgrade themselves.

2) Replace all of the wiring with our high quality internal wire. Our custom internal wire is a four 9's high purity solid core Copper wire with polyethylene jacketing. It out performs all but the most exotic internal wire. If you factor in performance verses cost compared to any other internal wire makes this wire a bargain at only 75 cents a foot.

3) Line your cabinet walls with No Rez. http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx  No Rez damps out unwanted cabinet resonances and improves clarity in the bass and mid-range areas. Even with well braced cabinets there can be an improvement with the added use of No Rez. Lightly braced or unbraced cabinets will benefit significantly.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
I use tube connectors on my DIy speakers, they work very well. I like that they are pure copper and have no threads. They are also cheaper than any other pure copper speaker connectors.

Hey Danny, I have read that the NoRez does not affect box volume. I haven't used it yet, but since it is so stiff and strong enough to need a saw to cut it, I find it hard to believe the box volume is not reduced by something that thick and dense. Can you assuage my doubts about volume? I might try it in Legacy Focus SE, which uses ported Aura 12s. It is just 3/4" MDF box with normal bracing frames between the bass drivers and no other bracing. A blob of polyfill is stuffed in there, that's it.

And what about using Norez inside a smaller bookshelf size speakers, like 18 liters?
Thanks!

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »
A saw works well on No Rez, but I've cut it before with a box cutter using multiple passes.  Remember that it is mostly open cell foam with a vinyl backing.  If anything, it will increase the effective volume of the box. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
A saw works well on No Rez, but I've cut it before with a box cutter using multiple passes.  Remember that it is mostly open cell foam with a vinyl backing.  If anything, it will increase the effective volume of the box.

How would it increase the effective volume?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »

From: http://audiojudgement.com/sealed-enclosure-closed-box/

"Increases the internal volume of the box
This is a bit harder to understand, but the technical term is isothermal propagation. Pressure and temperature are correlated (for example if pressure goes up, temperature goes up).  In our case, we talk about sound pressure. Now, when we add dampening material into the mix, it creates this isothermal environment to some degree. This material, although not a good temperature conductor, it conducts temperature better than air. In this case the pressure drops, which means the velocity of sound drops, which means the compliance of the box rises, which is the exact same thing as making the box bigger. Adding stuffing to your box will translate into 15 % – 25 % volume increase. We are talking about the effects, that happen when increasing the volume, because obviously the physical box size will remain the same."

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »

From: http://audiojudgement.com/sealed-enclosure-closed-box/

"Increases the internal volume of the box
This is a bit harder to understand, but the technical term is isothermal propagation. Pressure and temperature are correlated (for example if pressure goes up, temperature goes up).  In our case, we talk about sound pressure. Now, when we add dampening material into the mix, it creates this isothermal environment to some degree. This material, although not a good temperature conductor, it conducts temperature better than air. In this case the pressure drops, which means the velocity of sound drops, which means the compliance of the box rises, which is the exact same thing as making the box bigger. Adding stuffing to your box will translate into 15 % – 25 % volume increase. We are talking about the effects, that happen when increasing the volume, because obviously the physical box size will remain the same."

Of course! How did I miss isothermal propagation??  :duh Anyways....thanks for the explanation, Rich. Fascinating stuff 😀
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »

Bandsaw... easier and cleaner if you got one.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
That is an excellent idea Danny. Helps the music lover learn and identify weaknesses and strengths.

cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers