Author Topic: Getting ready for LSAF 2023 demo room  (Read 11122 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Getting ready for LSAF 2023 demo room
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2023, 05:00:21 AM »
Wayne and Norman are the LSAF 2023 coordinators.  Here is Wayne's coverage of LSAF 2023:

https://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=23533&prevloaded=1&&start=0

The Audiophile Geek came in the room Day 3, but that coverage is not up on YouTube that I could find.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 12:26:48 PM »
Thanks, Rich. Nice to get some pics as well. I am a bit surprised there weren't more companies at the show.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
I like pics!

Any opinions on Semrad?

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2023, 03:52:56 PM »
If you are on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10221244470012466&set=gm.6544335512252942&idorvanity=421501817869706

Never got out of the HAL room.  Was packed the entire weekend! :)

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
I like pics!

Any opinions on Semrad?
:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2023, 03:58:29 PM »
Thanks, Rich. Nice to get some pics as well. I am a bit surprised there weren't more companies at the show.

Nick
Nick,
It is called the Woodstock of audio shows.  Basically the website and event coordinator setup a room block and you just get a room from the hotel to setup.  No middle man involved.

There were multiple companies in the 16 rooms of the only floor, the second floor.  As an example GR-Research had different pieces in 3 rooms.  Mike Lundy had his modified Wedgies and 2x12 servo subs, another room had the NX-Studio's and I had the two 3x12 OB modular H-Frame servo subs.  There were other teams as well.

Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2023, 05:37:52 PM »
Just talked to Gary Gill about a room to demo at CAF2023 in Nov.  It is a GO!   :thumb:

Bringing a completely different idea to the show with the dspNexus 2x8 as the center.  This is going to stir the pot!   :twisted:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »

Nick
Nick,
It is called the Woodstock of audio shows.  Basically the website and event coordinator setup a room block and you just get a room from the hotel to setup.  No middle man involved.

There were multiple companies in the 16 rooms of the only floor, the second floor.  As an example GR-Research had different pieces in 3 rooms.  Mike Lundy had his modified Wedgies and 2x12 servo subs, another room had the NX-Studio's and I had the two 3x12 OB modular H-Frame servo subs.  There were other teams as well.

Rich

Thanks for that info, Rich. I was wondering about GR and those guys. What a nice and simpler way to run a show. I really would like to attend next year.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2023, 09:30:49 PM »

Nick
Nick,

Rich

Thanks for that info, Rich. I was wondering about GR and those guys. What a nice and simpler way to run a show. I really would like to attend next year.

Nick

Once you experience (including hearing) the GR open baffle speakers you will never go back to closed box speakers.  I'll be traveling there (be GONE Evil spirits 😁) next week to take care of a few things including my next pair of speaks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 09:32:21 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2023, 04:40:38 AM »

Once you experience (including hearing) the GR open baffle speakers you will never go back to closed box speakers.  I'll be traveling there (be GONE Evil spirits 😁) next week to take care of a few things including my next pair of speaks!

Now that I would like to hear.  :thumb:

I've heard very high end (north of $60K) open baffle speakers both at the NY Audio show recently and more than twice at the home of Steve Rabbitz (Sound Insight and a dealer for GT Audioworks). Here is a (somewhat outdated and since upgraded) photo https://www.gtaudioworks.com/ . I'll keep my closed box speakers, but do remain open minded to hearing GR's if the opportunity presents itself.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2023, 07:27:27 AM »

Not so fast there, pardner.   The best speakers I've ever heard were Danny's completely planar magnetic line arrays, and the Super 7 speakers are possibly next in line (both open baffle).  But I'd put the old LS9 (box speaker) above his current line up on sound alone.  The downside of the big guys is they are the devil to set up well.   
Other box speakers I'd consider equals are some of the big Wilson's and TAD models- at a much higher price. 
Now, understand, I can't hear for sh..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:46:15 AM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2023, 12:19:18 PM »

Not so fast there, pardner.   The best speakers I've ever heard were Danny's completely planar magnetic line arrays, and the Super 7 speakers are possibly next in line (both open baffle).  But I'd put the old LS9 (box speaker) above his current line up on sound alone.  The downside of the big guys is they are the devil to set up well.   
Other box speakers I'd consider equals are some of the big Wilson's and TAD models- at a much higher price. 
Now, understand, I can't hear for sh..
The LS-9 are terriffic speakers.  Punchy and transparent.  For me though, the openness,and absolute speed of properly designed open baffles are the clincher!

I can't hear either...🤓

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »

Now that I would like to hear.  :thumb:

I've heard very high end (north of $60K) open baffle speakers both at the NY Audio show recently and more than twice at the home of Steve Rabbitz (Sound Insight and a dealer for GT Audioworks). Here is a (somewhat outdated and since upgraded) photo https://www.gtaudioworks.com/ . I'll keep my closed box speakers, but do remain open minded to hearing GR's if the opportunity presents itself.

Greg is a friend and we demoed together at CAF multiple times.  Greg makes great sounding planar/ribbon speakers.

I ran the digital front end for his room with a HAL MS-5 Music Sever and Danville Signal dspMusik 2x8 configured as a stereo DAC.  It had way more capability, but showed how well the DAC's in the system performed for music replay. 

I have heard his planar/ribbon speakers for many hours and own 8 of his 20in true ribbons for my Megaliths line array project with 4 ribbons and 8 BG NEO10's per side.  Flanked by a pair of 6x12 OB H-Frame servo subs.  Worked pretty well but the open baffle frame was to unstable.  Now have two line arrays with 6 Dragonfire Acoustics DFA-510 planars per side with the servo sub arrays with a new open baffle design. 

Danny's Line Force speakers with 3x12 servo subs are excellent speakers when Scott and I heard the first pair after build in Danny's original room.  That was a fun time listening to music!

What Scott heard at LSAF is the beginning product with the Radian LM10n planars.  There are other ideas in work.  Only time will tell.  For all systems, the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's will be the heart of the system.  After my comparisons to other DSP processors, they all fall very short in sound quality.  The day Scott was there, he actually heard a prototype of the full upgrade DAC system using the original AKM AK4499 DAC's.  Those are no longer made after their foundry fire, but the single original chip been redesigned as a two IC system with digital filters and 32bit balanced R2R ladder DAC as separate silicon. :)  They are at the top of my very short list of the best sounding DAC's in products.

Rich

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2023, 07:28:49 PM »
Yep, your set up at LSAF was right there with the very, very best... I'd say probably better than my LS9's, maybe better than the Serenity Super 7's.  And I like the 7's better than the current GR models.   To do that with one 10" driver, a whole bunch of subs, and your magic electronics was pretty amazing.   
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2023, 08:41:11 PM »
Made it home from TX and now getting ready for CAF2023. 

Thanks to everyone that made it a fun show to attend and demo!