Author Topic: Ok Lets try Von Schweikert VR-33  (Read 5807 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Ok Lets try Von Schweikert VR-33
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
Has anyone heard these speakers? Are they worthy of audiophile calibre equipment? I am looking for a good audiophile speaker and can't really demo a lot of used stuff so I am considering these as they are in my price range.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Ok Lets try Von Schweikert VR-33
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I've got the VR-35s.  I think these are exceptional speakers and at their price point, have very little competition in the full-range speaker arena.  Albert markets these as $15k speakers for $4500, but, IMHO, that's a bit of marketing hype.  If I were willing to spend $15k on speakers, I doubt I'd buy the VR-33s but I suspect they compete extremely well with anything up to twice their price.   At $4500, I'm not sure you'll find anything better (well, unless you shop used). 

One of the things that make these fairly unique is that Albert designed these to be placed close to the front wall which helps with bass reinforcement.  That was a big factor for me and my room.

Other Pros:
-- full range speakers that can go low in a well defined and authoritative manner
-- tall, wide, 3D soundstage
-- relatively efficient (no need for big muscle amp)
-- price!

Cons:
-- well, they're not the prettiest things
-- not well suited for placement in corners nor well out in the room
-- they take a LONG time to break in (500 hrs)

But like all speakers, you really need to hear them (your equipment, your room, your ears) to know for sure they're for you.  But Albert does offer a nice guarantee.

You can find a good bit more insight and other owners over on the VS Audio Owners Circle on AudioCircle here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=139.0

There are a number of threads that are exclusively about the VR-33s.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:55:45 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
I've got the VR-35s.  I think these are exceptional speakers and at their price point, have very little competition in the full-range speaker arena.  Albert markets these as $15k speakers for $4500, but, IMHO, that's a bit of marketing hype.  If I were willing to spend $15k on speakers, I doubt I'd buy the VR-33s but I suspect they compete extremely well with anything up to twice their price.   At $4500, I'm not sure you'll find anything better (well, unless you shop used). 

One of the things that make these fairly unique is that Albert designed these to be placed close to the front wall which helps with bass reinforcement.  That was a big factor for me and my room.

Other Pros:
-- full range speakers that can go low in a well defined and authoritative manner
-- tall, wide, 3D soundstage
-- relatively efficient (no need for big muscle amp)
-- price!

Cons:
-- well, they're not the prettiest things
-- not well suited for placement in corners nor well out in the room
-- they take a LONG time to break in (500 hrs)

But like all speakers, you really need to hear them (your equipment, your room, your ears) to know for sure they're for you.  But Albert does offer a nice guarantee.

You can find a good bit more insight and other owners over on the VS Audio Owners Circle on AudioCircle here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=139.0

There are a number of threads that are exclusively about the VR-33s.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. Placement for these speakers would be 3-4 ft out from back and side walls. Would that be "far enough out to ruin the performance?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
They perform very well when given a good lateral distance from side walls.  I can't really speak to them being out 3-4 feet from the wall behind them.   In my room they seem best about a foot out, but I don't have the room to pull them that far out to try it.  I'd be a little concerned about bass but I have seen posts where that has worked just fine.

Try posting that question over on AC.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
I have been very happy with my VR-33, one of the few speakers I have heard that sounds great with low power tubes as well as solid state.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
Its a good, not  great speaker you should audition for yourself.  I lived with a pair for almost a year, but it ultimately wasn't for me.  I found it to be overly polite and lacking in dynamics compared to the speakers I generally enjoy.