Author Topic: LFE connection  (Read 13157 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
LFE connection
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
I have a new subwoofer (Thanks Brian!) Need some advice on connecting LFE signal. Getting hum from badly grounded LFE wire. Same as I had on my old toy subwoofer.

There is a length of rg6 in the wall with faceplate F connectors on either end, one near receiver, one at the sub. The sub and receiver have RCA phono connectors.  

Right now I have coax and RCA lengths all bodged together with adaptors for a total of 5 lengths of cable and 4 adaptors. This can't be good, and I'm hoping it's the reason I have bad ground and hum?  :oops: If I hold one of the adapters firmly against the F connector in the wall, hum is gone. So I think it is just bad connection of RS junk drawer parts.

What ya think of this to adapt coax to the Rx and Sub? I will use coax extensions from the wall so it is all 75ohm coax the whole length except for these adaptors. I think that is the simplest way to still use the in wall coax.
Thanks
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
LFE connection
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »
Those will be OK - OR, you can make your own short sub cable with an F on one end and the RCA on the other.  No adapters required and nice tight screw on connections except at the LFE out and the sub in.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

LFE connection
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
I wana keep the cable hidden so gotta use the in wall coax. I think a couple inline F connectors won't hurt anything. It sounds great now with all the adaptors and cheap cables in the way, except for the ground hum. Getting screw tight grounding should fix that.
Thanks Bryan

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
LFE connection
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:15:16 PM »
Oh yeah - I was saying to keep the inwall.  Just to use an F female at both ends on the plate an make the cable from the wall plate F male on 1 end and RCA male on the other.  Eliminates 2 connections and chances for hum.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

LFE connection
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »
Yeah,  that's exactly what I was thinking. I will give it a try tomorow. Tx Bry

Brian Bunge

Re: LFE connection
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:46:57 AM »
Rich,

Sorry I missed this.  Did you get your hum resolved?  It sounds like you had a bad adaptor that was not making good contact with the ground on the wall plate.

Offline richidoo

Re: LFE connection
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:23:32 AM »
Thanks Brian. I have not made any changes, but I haven't noticed the hum. I intend to make the changes above when i can prioritize it. I noticed that my neighbor's house using same wiring sub has RCA jacks on her subwoofer wallplates, whereas mine are Fs. Maybe I'll just swap those and get some bettrer connectors. She has hum too, but from sub's bad F connector on the coax. But the sub sounds great, very happy with it.  Should I get some feet for it to poke through the carpet? It is just the wood bottom floating on the carpet now with no feet. Thanks
Rich