Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs at the Capital AudioFest, July 8-10  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Triode Wire Labs at the Capital AudioFest, July 8-10
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
Triode Wire Labs is very pleased to be participating in the Capital AudioFest (http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p1.html) again, starting next Friday, July 8.

In Room 316, we're teaming-up with Gary Dews from BorderPatrol Audio Electronics, using Living Voice and DeVore loudspeakers.

In Room 323, we're teaming-up again with Gary Dews from BorderPatrol Audio Electronics, as well as Lou Hinckley from Daedalus loudspeakers. Thanks to fellow Nervosian Scott Dazzle for his loaning of his personal Daedalus Athena speakers.

Should be a blast! Come down & join us for a libation or two!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
Re: Triode Wire Labs at the Capital AudioFest, July 8-10
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »
Just got back from Capital AudioFest... what a blast!

I teamed up with & shared Room 316 with BorderPatrol. Gary Dews and I were using Gary's beautiful looking and really phenomenal sounding Living Voice OBX-RW loudspeakers (Gary is the sole US importer of these great UK speakers)... I was very, very impressed by these Living Voice speakers (http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/products-auditorium-speakers.html)... they really don't do anything wrong...

Here's some feedback from Herb Reichert from Stereophile...

The second Border Patrol (and Triode Wire Labs) room featured the wildly over-achieving and vivid-sounding Living Voice OBX-RW loudspeakers ($11,800/pair). Instead were driven by S20 EXD Border Patrol parallel single-ended 300B monoblocks ($16,750/pair) and a 1543 DAC ($1500). This was only my first day, but damn! The sound was really good in both rooms. Border Patrol might win my "Peace and Crickets" prize for Best Sound two show in a row.

On Friday evening, Greg Roberts from Volti Audio showed-up with his "brand-new", more affordable "Rival" speakers... After-hours, Gary & I spent considerable time (hours!) with Greg evaluating & tweaking the new "Rival" speakers.

Gary & I let Greg "crash" our party & set-up his "brand new" globally debuted speakers at 2 PM on Saturday (exactly mid-way through the 3 day show). At 2:20 PM (20 minutes later), the speakers were sold to a local audiophile... yeah, that quick!

Here's Herb Reichert's impressions...

"Most of you must know I am a long time fan of Volti Audio's Vittoria horn-loaded loudspeakers. They achieve what I always thought was impossible: a smooth, coherent, hyper-efficient loudspeaker that bubbles with musical life—and never let's on it's a horn speaker. Most folks that heard it agreed except, many wished it was smaller and less expensive. Well, Volti proprietor/engineer, Greg Roberts was listening and at CAF released a smaller, less expensive model, the Rival at only $7900/pair. The sound, while not quite as sweet and sophisticated as the Vittora, was "oh my my" tight fast and textured. The box, the drivers and the music reproduced seemed properly scaled, utterly uncompressed. The new 99dB-sensitive Rival delivered a great portion of the bigger speaker's pleasures. Bravo Volti!

The new Rivals were driven by Border Patrol S20 EXD parallel, single-ended, dual-mono 300B amplifiers ($16,750/pair) and the Border patrol 1543 DAC ($1500). All cables were Triode Wire Labs and sourced from a PI Audio UberBUSS power distribution block."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/caf2016-herb-gets-it#CqMKA2T9CrDibcre.97

Also, Gary & I had a three-way split on Room 323 with Lou Hinckley from Daedalus Audio...

Once again, Herb's impressions...

"In my report from the 2016 AXPONA, I wrote a whole blurb about how I thought the Border Patrol room (with Triode Wire Labs and Volti) had the best sound of show, but I couldn't turn it because I had forgotten to take photos. (Sorry Gary Dews.) This time, however, Gary (and Pete) had two rooms and maybe they both will win that honor. The loudspeakers were different in each room, but the sound quality and music quality were equally wonderful in both.

The first Border Patrol room featured Daedalus Audio Athena V.2 floorstanding loudspeakers ($11,850/pair) in a super-deluxe wood finish. They were driven by the PX20 EXD Border Patrol push-pull 300B monoblocks ($16,750/pair), a Border Patrol Control Unit line stage ($6500), and Gary's excellent no-oversampling/no-digital-filtering DAC ($1250)—all of which were sitting on the new Daedalus Audio "Daedalus isolation Devices" (DiD) priced at $480 for a set of three."

Cheers,
Pete

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:19:41 PM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »
The Rivals are only 99 db efficient?  :shock:

Pete, you would need to beef up your power amps to 4 or maybe even 5 watts!   :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:44:59 AM »
Some additional feedback... ...from The Closet Audiophile...

The Closet Audiophile
Capital Audiofest 2016

Posted on July 15, 2016 by theclosetaudiophile, https://theclosetaudiophile.wordpress.com/author/theclosetaudiophile/

I loved going to the Capital Audiofest (CAF) in 2013 and that feeling didn’t change this year. Gary Gill, the show’s organizer, is always gracious and magnanimous and open to ideas. I don’t doubt Gary’s enthusiasm for all things audio.

On the two-channel side of the house, I thought the Volti / BorderPatrol / Triode Wire Labs room sounded exceptionally good. Volti was demoing their new lower-cost horn loaded speaker, the Rival, alongside BorderPatrol’s S20 (with a gain knob for volume control). Their top of the line, non-oversampling, filterless DAC-1 and a CEC transport provided the tunes. All the electronics were wired up with Triode Wire Labs current stock. The sound was dynamic and instantly engaging. Midrange and treble were finely textured and never harsh or piercing. Bass was surprisingly tight and tuneful, given the tiny room they were working with. Just an all-out stellar performance and easily the best sound at the show.

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
Some additional feedback... ...from The Closet Audiophile...

The Closet Audiophile
Capital Audiofest 2016

Posted on July 15, 2016 by theclosetaudiophile, https://theclosetaudiophile.wordpress.com/author/theclosetaudiophile/

I loved going to the Capital Audiofest (CAF) in 2013 and that feeling didn’t change this year. Gary Gill, the show’s organizer, is always gracious and magnanimous and open to ideas. I don’t doubt Gary’s enthusiasm for all things audio.

On the two-channel side of the house, I thought the Volti / BorderPatrol / Triode Wire Labs room sounded exceptionally good. Volti was demoing their new lower-cost horn loaded speaker, the Rival, alongside BorderPatrol’s S20 (with a gain knob for volume control). Their top of the line, non-oversampling, filterless DAC-1 and a CEC transport provided the tunes. All the electronics were wired up with Triode Wire Labs current stock. The sound was dynamic and instantly engaging. Midrange and treble were finely textured and never harsh or piercing. Bass was surprisingly tight and tuneful, given the tiny room they were working with. Just an all-out stellar performance and easily the best sound at the show.

Cheers,
Pete
And there you go...  I am pleased to know all of your awesome squad (Awesome Squad"?).  I can think of no one as obsessed by and executors of great music portrayed the way real time live performance give than your team, Pete.  as always, great job.

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe