Author Topic: Audiophile SATA cables????  (Read 8734 times)

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Audiophile SATA cables????
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Evening everyone.

I got an e-mail today from a cable vendor and I don't think I've seen this ever before. The audiophile SATA cable. I kid you not. An audiophile cable to connect your hard drives to your motherboards for those who still build their own PCs/Music Servers/HTPCs.

OneKey High End Audio Grade PC-Fi SATA Cable MK II 60cm

http://www.gooddigitalshop.com/onekey-high-end-audio-grade-pc-fi-sata-cable-mk-ii-60cm.html

and

Sanctus SR100 High End Hi-Fi SATA Cable 50cm

http://www.gooddigitalshop.com/sanctus-sr100-high-end-hi-fi-sata-cable-50cm-for-audiophile.html

I guess since a lot of us use high end cables from USB to speaker cables in our audio systems I guess the logical progression would be to start using higher end cables inside the PC. I wonder what is next though cable wise.

Whenever I built my PCs I just used used cables that would help optimize internal airflow. I really didn't think about anything else cablewise internally on my PC.

Looking forwards to thoughts on these cables.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Audiophile SATA cables????
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:44:09 AM »
Why not?  I'm sure it 'shouldn't' make a difference but it will.  :rofl:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Has anyone tried a cheaper alternative to these since the last post?  This post got me thinking about the SATA cables in the computer-based system I use (a noisy, old HP Workstation). I took a look at the SATA cables to the 2 hard disks and they were of the thin, stock, cheap (30 or 28 awg) and most likely unshielded variety. I wanted to try a cheaper solution before I pulled the trigger on any boutique Sata cables like Pachanko, JCAT, Pang, etc. so I bought some 26awg cables with clear jackets and foil shielding - not bad for 10 bucks for the 2.  Let's see if I can hear any difference in sound. I'll report back if I do.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Hey Malloy.  I just found your thread now. For me I didn't buy those very expensive SATA cables. I'd rather use those funds for buying music. The SATA cables I used were Golden Bridge label that were 26 AWG and they were really secure but fairly rigid. I wanted to get a flat cable to help with airflow in the PC I had. For me I'd rather have the PC quiet with very little fan noise rather than cable.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
Hi sleepyguy24,

I completely agree with not spending too much on the SATA until I have a few hundred to throw away and everything else is dialed in. I tried to cheap out by getting new ones with the foil shield but I could not really tell a difference. I am looking at some double screened ones with both foil and a braided shield for $4.00+, might pick it up - you never know. I figured if the 'experts' were wrong about USB cable not making a difference, they might be wrong with SATA, too.  The ones I am looking at are Nippon Labs rounded and thick. I think they are double screened. They look like external eSata cables but are internal Sata.

On a different note, I sent you a PM about a project you had replacing the outlets of your CMX-2, I wonder if you got it? That was back in July.  :?: