Author Topic: Interest Check: 45 RPM Audiophile Vinyl Tour  (Read 32104 times)

jsaliga

Re: Interest Check: 45 RPM Audiophile Vinyl Tour
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Carl,

I don't think you're asking for too much given all that you do in support of the community as our gracious host.  So I don't have a problem with it.

I would like to see the LP passed along to BobM as soon you are finished with it.  I think he was one of the first people who expressed interest who has not had the opportunity to hear one of these audiophile 45RPM sets.  I know StereoNut expressed interest as well.

Enjoy.

--Jerome

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
Carl,

I don't think you're asking for too much given all that you do in support of the community as our gracious host.  So I don't have a problem with it.

I would like to see the LP passed along to BobM as soon you are finished with it.  I think he was one of the first people who expressed interest who has not had the opportunity to hear one of these audiophile 45RPM sets.  I know StereoNut expressed interest as well.

Enjoy.

--Jerome

Don't forget about me... being about 1.5 miles from BobM & about 10 miles from Stereonut... thanks!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

jsaliga

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
Don't forget about me...

It was an unintentional oversight.  I would like to see everyone who wants a listen to get a listen.

Happy holidays.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
I received the records today in good shape. Looking forward to listening. Thanks Jerome!  :thumb:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
Don't forget about me...

It was an unintentional oversight.  I would like to see everyone who wants a listen to get a listen.

Happy holidays.

--Jerome

Happy Holidays to you as well, Jerome!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithville_(album)

I finally found a minute to sit down and listen uninterrupted. Still sealed, brand new!

Listening on my Clearaudio Concept with Maestro Wood MM cart, Vista amp, SS PP amp, all JPS SC3 wires, Gravesen DTQWT-12 speakers.

First impression is the new master is a normalish recording, with minimal sonic drama. There is a very natural brightness and crispness to the trumpet. He has a very full tone like Byrd, but with a little edginess like Morgan, and all of it comes in clearly. The trumpet tone is very full and warm, I suspect tube mic, tube compressor, etc. 

The record is more dynamic than I'm used to from my 80s Jap Blue Notes. Maybe it is the lower noise floor, combined with more microdetail from the higher resolution.

I noticed only two slight ticks so far on the whole first side. It is virtually silent, that makes it easy to lose myself in the solos and groove.

Cymbal tone is awesome. As with the sax and trumpet raspiness, it is very natural, but the added detail brings the whole record more to life. OK first song done, time to get up and flip it...  :rofl:

Side two, an uptempo bopper. Cymbal presence is really noticeable, and nice. Not the usual dead sizzle. I noticed on the groove feed in, that even with clean grooves, there is a rumble hiss noise floor. I have it really cranked which brings it up but it is an unavoidable aspect of vinyl, even the most perfect records have groove noise. On a record like this the music easily drowns it all out. Even more gorgeous trumpet splat on this tune. He has great time and good ears and mature worthy presence in the music, but he's not particularly innovative as soloist. 

I keep coming back to the drums. So much more alive. Piano is a lot more punchy too. This cart and the horn loaded woofers really get the bass violin right. PCs solo here is very powerful, clear, detailed. The bow texture is nice to hear on vinyl, rather than just the fundamental.

Don't know if this is the record, or my cart, or vibration coming in from speakers but when the band is playing at full tilt, I hear some distortion like tube overload growl, more on the first side, I haven't noticed it again.

The inner sleeves are thick polyethylene tinted pink with static control coating. Static was minimal when removing the discs. The outgroove of side two was much quieter, as was the ingroove of side 3. Did I mention another flip?

The record jacket is thick, heavy, gloss varnish, beautiful photos. Compared to my jap reissues this is first class packaging.

Side 3 is a ballad showcase for the leader. He has such a beautiful tone. On his loudest peaks I start to hear a touch of the distortion again. It is a break up. Could well be on the original tapes as overload. There is a significant amount of tube compression on him, so could be overloading an outboard tube stage, or a worn tube. Seems to only happen on the trumpet. The piano is just as hot, in similar frequency band, and no break up. I hope someone later in the tour can listen for this raspiness on the trumpet. I've heard  it before on trumpets playing through vintage tube gear.

The sax is a little bright. Too much sibilance, or 'spit' as musicians call it. Since it's only on the sax it must be the mic choice or recording EQ. His midrange is boosted too. Very forward sound compared to his more restrained tone on recordings for Columbia. The sibilance is most noticeable when he plays softly like background for the trumpet feature. When he comes in after the trumpet solo it sounds like bad distortion until I hear that it's the check.  When blowing hard it is more balanced but still pretty forward. The third side is noisier than the others, but still quieter than most of my Blue Notes. Flip!

Side 4 starts off a little bit hot. I think the sax and cymbals are starting to get to me. Nice Charlie Rouse solo to start. Beautiful sax sound. I am familiar with his tone from the very well recorded Teo Macero sessions on Columbia with Monk. This is more detailed and intimate without as much room echo. This is the benefit of more forward EQ. Lots of compression on that trumpet!! But it is buttery smooth and lovely. He is getting going now, pressing out some nice lines and clever turnarounds on the 4th track.

The cymbal resolution is just amazing to hear all those metallic  overtones in there so clearly. Almost like being on stage with him. On the out chorus the same midrange boost is evident as at the beginning on the 4th tune. I think it is just the mike choice of the sax. The midrange boost happens whenever he is playing.

5th tune is back to normal, a more open, fuller feel without the sax. Lots of trumpet sparkle, very natural trumpet sound, but phat. I'm impressed that my cartridge can play this! Says a lot for the humble Vista phono preamp too.

The rimshot accents on the drum comps really allow me to hear deep into the soundstage space, and there is a lot to hear with Rudy's one room setup. No isolation booths here! The drums are miked with a single mic overhead and another sometimes on the hihat. Snare and toms are the usual distant open sound, but there is a lot more detail in the reverb at 45rpm.  The last side outgroove is noisy. Side 2 and 4 seem noisier than 1&3, maybe it's something with a particular side of the pressing machine?  Not really bad noise, just a few pops that I only noticed on the groove out. There is hardly any perceivable noise behind the music.

This was a good listening experience for me and it was fun to hear a record sound so clear and dynamic. I can see the appeal of 45s for these recordings if one loves to hear the sonic details. 45 allows the full resolution of the original tape to come through.

I devoured many Blue notes in my teens on less than hifi gear, so for me the value of these recordings is not so much the sound quality. But it is fun to hear the subtle details of Rudy's recording technique, and the tonal inflections of the musicians more clearly.

Big thanks to Jerome for sending this record on tour and for allowing me this learning experience.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Sounds like you had a lot of fun listening, Rich. Can't wait to hear it!
Please do not expect as much info in my review. :0 but I'll do my best. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
Just dig it in your own way! I was inspired by an abundance of Christmas cookies and eggnog to wear down my keyboard, and this post was the unfortunate victim.

How's Thursday?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
Good, come early. 9ish ok?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
So Rich hand delivered this album today and I can only echo his accolades as to the quality of record pressing and packaging.  

The sound quality is indeed spectacular.  It's what vinyl should be.  The quality of the actual musicians and their intent really shine through.  The trumpet player seems pretty uninspired and the sax player is pretty good but seems bored.  The piano player and drummer are really good and they really make the record worth listening to.  It was amazing to me to pick up on these queues and be able to critique the performance without even thinking about the quality of the record itself.  I'm not sure if it's the 45 speed or what, but it sounded as good as that recording could ever sound.  I would imagine the 33 is like an mp3. ;)

In any case, I did enjoy what this pressing had to offer.  It was kind of a step back in time to hear what likely was as good as could be done when this was recorded.  It is alive and real.  I appreciate the opportunity to hear it.  

I didn't have the original 33 to compare so I can't comment on what 45 has over 33 or whether this particular pressing was better than something else.  We did put on another jazz album and I could kind of hear some differences I might contribute to the 45 vs 33 but that's stretching it.  

I do know that on my rig, this album sounded incredibly good overall.  I didn't know what to expect but this definitely gave me a data point for gauging the 'goodness' of other old jazz albums on vinyl.  I'd never heard of this trumpet player nor am I sure why they would choose to put him on a super-high-quality pressing... but if you want to hear all you can get from 'a jazz recording' this is it!

Thanks again,
Carl

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Still waiting for it to arrive (expecting it tomorrow probably), but I am spending the evening with my newly acquired 45RPM Body and Soul by Freddie Hubbard. I, in fact, do have a CD of this fine album to compare against (wish I also had a 33RPM to A-B against). Very interesting findings so far.

On slow simple ballads I can honestly say there is little difference between the CD and the record. However, on the faster more uptempo and dynamic pieces the difference is very much real. Real is a good word for the increased transparency and dynamics I am hearing. Very nice, but then I also hear this same kind of improvements from CD to regular vinyl, and I don't have to get up and flip the record every other song. Still, a very nice record and I am happy about the purchase. This is as good a place to start as any, I suppose.

Also, I have not yet cleaned the record - playing virgin vinyl as it arrived. I suspect there will be  further improvements after cleaning and I will A-B again down the road.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
The record has not yet been cleaned since pressing. I'm wondering if the few minor clicks will cure with a wash.

Good observation about up tempo dynamics and life. I noticed that also on the 45.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
I gave the album a listen this afternoon and loved it musically. I would up cleaning it afterwards and am back at the system now to give it a late night listen when the power is cleaner and everything is quiet and I've had a few libations to limber the ears and the soul.

First impressions - very nice sides 1 and 3, where it is a bit more slow blues. The faster tracks are nice too, but overall more of a "Dizzy G" kind of chops playing that will take more time to fully appreciate.

I find that I need to reduce my step up cartridge loading with the 45RRPM's (including my new Freddy Hubbard Body and Soul) because the 45's seem to have more energy overall that 33RPM's, almost too much I think. They are very transparent and clean sounding, but a bit lacking in overall soul until I step them down. Then they are spitting at me and sounding ohhh so awsomely real.

The most notable thing I hear is the dynamics on these pieces. So much more than digital, and better than 33RPM overall, though I don't have a direct comparison.

Yes, nice, nice, very nice. I can see the appeal, but at such a big premium over regular 33RPM's I can usually find for under $5. They are definitely clean sounding, with any pops and clicks going by so fast that they are essentially not there (especially after cleaning).

I think that if you really like an album and it is offered on 45RPM you should get it and have a truly amazing reproduction of it. But it is hard to justify spending this kind of dough on a try buy. But if you get the right record it is truly the best you can have. After all, isn't this what we are shooting for after all.

I do have to say though ... I have gotten up twice now to flip sides as I am composing and typing this somewhat short e-mail. So it is a bit inconvenient.

I'l;l pass it to Pete next for his impression on his new Well Tempered Reference and horn system. Should be amazing.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »
I gave the album a listen this afternoon and loved it musically. I would up cleaning it afterwards and am back at the system now to give it a late night listen when the power is cleaner and everything is quiet and I've had a few libations to limber the ears and the soul.

First impressions - very nice sides 1 and 3, where it is a bit more slow blues. The faster tracks are nice too, but overall more of a "Dizzy G" kind of chops playing that will take more time to fully appreciate.

I find that I need to reduce my step up cartridge loading with the 45RRPM's (including my new Freddy Hubbard Body and Soul) because the 45's seem to have more energy overall that 33RPM's, almost too much I think. They are very transparent and clean sounding, but a bit lacking in overall soul until I step them down. Then they are spitting at me and sounding ohhh so awsomely real.

The most notable thing I hear is the dynamics on these pieces. So much more than digital, and better than 33RPM overall, though I don't have a direct comparison.

Yes, nice, nice, very nice. I can see the appeal, but at such a big premium over regular 33RPM's I can usually find for under $5. They are definitely clean sounding, with any pops and clicks going by so fast that they are essentially not there (especially after cleaning).

I think that if you really like an album and it is offered on 45RPM you should get it and have a truly amazing reproduction of it. But it is hard to justify spending this kind of dough on a try buy. But if you get the right record it is truly the best you can have. After all, isn't this what we are shooting for after all.

I do have to say though ... I have gotten up twice now to flip sides as I am composing and typing this somewhat short e-mail. So it is a bit inconvenient.

I'l;l pass it to Pete next for his impression on his new Well Tempered Reference and horn system. Should be amazing.

Bring it on over...  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »

I have a high output MC so my loading is set at 47K  and that's that so the thought of changing loadings for different (or at least different type of) recordings has never occurred to me. Interesting concept.  :-k

Has anyone else running a low output MC ever play with this?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables