Author Topic: PIAUDIO BETABUSS  (Read 31086 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PIAUDIO BETABUSS
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
Well, I’m curious and will likely give it a go in a little while. Especially interested in HAL’s opinion as it would be the second version or improvement of Dave’s product
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
Well, I’m curious and will likely give it a go in a little while. Especially interested in HAL’s opinion as it would be the second version or improvement of Dave’s product
I think I'm done screwing with it.  I had an epiphany and changed some circuitry for the best.  I have one other beta out and am expecting some well educated and experienced feedback.

One thing must be said about the BUSS-Station.  It must never be handled unplugged unless the On/Off switch is off.  The Station will store a charge for a couple of minutes if it is unplugged with the switch On.  There is a potential for a BIG surprise at least and injury at worst if the switch is in the On position, unplugged and the user comes into contact with the NEMA plug prongs.  Never, never, never touch prongs from ANY piece of gear unless it has been unplugged for a minimum of 5 minutes.  That is not just a good idea, it should be a rule that we all follow.

Just sayin'.

I'm really looking forward to feedback.   :thumb:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Rich (HAL) should have his tomorrow along with an occasional poster here at AN.  I am hoping that they get the same kind of results to what have been gotten so far!  Look forward to their reports.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: PIAUDIO BUSS-Depot
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Dave's BUSS-Depot has arrived and looks great to me!

Now to find the opposite phase plug for use.  Luckily it looks like both phases go to different plugs in the basement.  The audio room plugs have their own 20A breaker, so that is the reference phase. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:22:37 AM by HAL »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 09:46:22 AM »

Now to find the opposite phase plug for use.  Luckily it looks like both phases go to different plugs in the basement.  The audio room plugs have their own 20A breaker, so that is the reference phase.

I was wondering what it looked like. Happy listening!
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »

yep, Nick.  Another nondescript black box, but wait!!!:  unlike everything else I build it has a switch.  I'm working on the legalese one-sheet that explains the necessity for using this switch when plugging and unplugging the B-D.  It can store enough energy to A: get your attention ; B: knock you on your ass or, C: kill a person with severe heart disease or a pacemaker.  That is why I will be sending a Use of Product sheet to any person that wishes to buy one.  Sane people would never touch the prongs on the NEMA Edison plug, but there are some really stupid people in this world of audio.  None of us, of course  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:21:18 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »

yep, Nick.  Another nondescript black box, but wait!!!:  unlike everything else I build it has a switch.  I'm working on the legalese one-sheet that explains the necessity for using this switch when plugging and unplugging the B-D.  It can store enough energy to A: get your attention ; B: knock you on your ass or, C: kill a person with severe heart disease or a pacemaker.  That is why I will be sending a Use of Product sheet to any person that wishes to buy one.  Sane people would never touch the prongs on the NEMA Edison plug, but there are some really stupid people in this world of audio.  None of us, of course  :thumb:

Dave,
Glad you are repeating what your little black box can do if we aren't careful and don’t use common sense. Hope you sell a bunch if these!!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 05:57:50 AM »
Dave, sounds like ya put another great idea into reality.
Looking forward to getting. Adding the caution is always a good thing for all of us who are ignorant in the electric area.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 08:16:36 AM »
Dave,  is it just a black box with a switch or does it also contain outlets?   Can't quite tell for sure from the pic.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »
No outlet.  Just a switch and plug to go into the wall AC outlet on the opposite phase to your listening system.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
You can call it the "SHOCKBOX."     :rofl:

I'm sure an auto-shutoff will be easy for you to invent.  :thumb:

Or permanently screw it to the house and hardwire it. That meets code, but not an easy DIY tweak.

Sounds very intriguing. Best of luck with the new baby Dave!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »

Or permanently screw it to the house and hardwire it. That meets code, but not an easy DIY tweak.

Geez, I hope this kid isn’t a forum member....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »
Not anymore.  :(

:rofl:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »

Ouch!  I remember when Oscar the cat chewed into the Christmas tree light cord.  He never was the same after that.

It has safety discharge resistors that will take everything down to zero volts relatively quickly.  They also are much lower impedance than skin to help reduce shock hazard.  The On/Off switch is exactly that and eliminates any shock potential.  I'm still going to require a digitally signed disclaimer from buyers before I ship. 

Like you say, hardwiring is the best way to do it.  :thumb:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 03:21:46 PM »
X-spurts say we're supposed to have all our audio gear on one phase and our noisy appliances like flourescent bulbs and fridge on the other phase. I think there is some advantage to having all the audio gear on same phase other than keeping away from noisy appliances. But the imagination of technically minded can run wild on topics like these, I wonder how much of it is just wives' tales.

I also wondered why not put betabusses on both phases.  #-o