Author Topic: Legacy Audio Focus SE  (Read 24652 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Legacy Audio Focus SE
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Thanks Lin! I saw a pic of it recently but didn't know what it was. Looks cool

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
 anybody heard the Sig3 SE yet? What kind of price are we looking at and how do they compare to the Focus SE.
Hey Rich- I don't have anywhere near your system but you can come by my place anytime to hear an old pair of Legacy Classics. I have listened to a lot of different equipment through them and yes it is a synergy thing for the mid/high and listener fatigue.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Hey Don! Welcome to audionervosa.
This preview says they will be $6k/pair, which falls between Classic HD and Focus HD, but with SE level features. Looks nice.
http://hometheaterreview.com/legacy-audio-previews-new-signature-se-loudspeaker/
http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/signature-se/
http://www.home-theater.com

The new classics have the awesome silver/carbon composite drivers for woofers, and they have no mid tweeter. But the Sigs look more like a baby Focus.

Where are you located Don?
Rich

edit
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:36:57 AM by richidoo »

opnly bafld

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »
anybody heard the Sig3 SE yet?

an old pair of Legacy Classics

I will be in Springfield (location of Legacy) on Nov 23 and plan to visit if they are open.

old Classics like these?

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
Those are mine. I have had these for going on 15 yrs and still love em. Would love to hear the Focus or Sig Se versions sometime.
Rich, my equipment is mid-fi at best but still enjoying every minute of it.

Later
Don
ps: I'm about two thirds of the way between you and Jason. Next time you on 85 south towards Charlotte give me a holler.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Rich, my equipment is mid-fi at best but still enjoying every minute of it.

Later
Don
ps: I'm about two thirds of the way between you and Jason. Next time you on 85 south towards Charlotte give me a holler.

You are being too modest - Classics are not midfi  8) Whatever makes them happy is alright! I'd love to come listen sometime. Likewise you are welcome here. We're having a meet this Sat, come up if you want.

opnly bafld

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
I was able to visit Legacy today, unfortunately no Signature SEs to audition.  :(

Lin

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:48 PM »
Sounds like fun!! Hopefully they had something else there for you to hear?  :drool:  Of course you took lots of pictures, right? ;)

opnly bafld

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
No pictures and not much to hear, it seems they are selling them as fast as they make 'em.

I listened to a pair of Classics for about an hour, they offered to bring a pair of Focus from the shipping area over to the listening room, I told them not to (since I have already heard them). They had a pair of Whispers in the room, but no processor.  :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
That was nice that they offered to bring in Focus for you. They always aim to please.

I liked the Classic a lot at the show, maybe because it doesn't have the mid-tweeter. I think it is very coherent speaker overall, maybe their most "hifi" speaker. But not the scale of Focus or whisper.

There seems to be more discussion about Focus over on the Gon forums these days. The TAS review probably stirred up some sales. Used SEs are rare. Glad to hear they are keeping busy.  I'd love to visit the factory sometime.

opnly bafld

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
They always aim to please.

I called a week ahead to make sure they would be open and I was asked what I wanted to hear, "the new Signatures" says I.
"I will make sure we have a pair on hand" says he at Legacy.  :duh
Oh well, it is the thought that counts I guess.

I always enjoy looking around when I am there.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
Least they could have done is made a pair just for your visit! :)

opnly bafld

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
It took a year, but I finally got to hear the Signature SE. Visited Legacy after flying into Springfield, IL and Bill D. set me up for an audition. I think they are on to something using the Mundorf AMT midrange and tweeter on the SE models, if my Focus HDs had these drivers I probably would have kept them.
I know Legacys aren't everybody's cup o' tea, but in the right room ~ with the right gear IMO the models with the AMT drivers make some good music.

opnly bafld

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
and

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
That's awesome Lin. I am really looking forward to hearing these. The flat mid ribbon was not happening. Bill said the problem was that it didn't play low enough, so the cones had to play too high.  He showed me the array at CAF, that made my whole show knowing a new Focus was coming. I didn't know it was made by mundorf!