Author Topic: WUNC Symphony broadcasts  (Read 4115 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
WUNC Symphony broadcasts
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
Locals can tune to 91.5 WUNC tonight (and every last Monday of the month) at 8pm for rebroadcast of live NC Symphony Concerts. The symphony and the radio station are subsidized by the State of NC so this is them throwing us a small bone. 

I attended this concert. The Haydn Symphony 19 is first and it was great. The rest, Mozart and Beethoven's 7th were just OK, imo. I don't really like the conductor, aka music director, he has gone down hill lately, lost the fire. But occasionally he can get it up.

It is streaming on the web at http://WUNC.org 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: WUNC Symphony broadcasts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
I wish I'd ordered that hum buster for my FM antenna.. oh well.. coming soon!
Thanks for the update!
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: WUNC Symphony broadcasts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
I discovered an even better show. WCPE used to play the NC Sympohony rebroadcasts on the first Monday night of the month while WUNC played it again on the last Monday.   Last year WCPE ditched the NC Symphony rebroadcast altogether.  They now rebroadcast Chicago Symphony concerts every Monday night.

Anyway, the NC Haydn was decent, but the Chicago show was simply awesome. All Dvorak, Violin Concerto, 7th Symphony, Bernard Heitink conducting. I know what I will be doing on future Chicago Symphony broadcasts.  If you can find a local classical station in your area it is rebroadcast in good sound, no sign of compression that I could tell. 

You can catch the compressed stream on WCPE.org, or you can check out the Chicago Symphony website for other stations or listen direct.

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=15,1