Author Topic: Need IT Expert Assistance  (Read 2793 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Need IT Expert Assistance
« on: March 25, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
Are you an IT expert up for a challenge? I have been trying to get my digital audio system to run reliably. So far I am 6 months into it with no solution. I have a NUC running Roon ROCK (totally dead) HDD light stays on doesnt recognize end points and does not play music. I have team viewer if anyone is so inclined to help out a fellow audiophile. desperate at this point. Thank you. :(
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Need IT Expert Assistance
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
  Get a transport or music server. So much easier and better sound as well.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
Has this NUC worked at all for you?    I'd contact Roon via their forums and ask for help.    Just go to the Support thread, post your question and be sure to include @Support so that they see it quickly.   My guess is that it's a config issue.... Rock should just work, but I've never used it myself.   I've only run Roon on Win 10 PCs and love it.   I've never had any issues.    My plan is to buy a NUC gen8 this year and install Rock on it as well, but it's probably still months away.

While I've also used TeamViewer, I know nothing about Rock so I'm afraid I'd be of little help.   But, can you use Teamviewer to login to your NUC and bring up the Roon UI or can you only access the Roon UI on another machine?   

P.S... I'm guessing you've been through this:  https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:53:44 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Update
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »
Ok so it looks like it was a culmination of multiple things occurring simultaneously:
Network Issue
Qobuz Issue
other unexplained

A buddy of mine built up an 8th Gen Nuc, we fixed the network issues and it seems to be better. I still have Roon crashing on me and i opened a ticket and they have diagnostics running to determine why it crashes several times per evening.

The Qobuz issue is that there is quite a bit of music that is not available even though they show the album online. I opened a ticket with them and they acknowledged that they are trying to improve availability daily. so it is better for sure but still have a few bugs. Thanks, 
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
I used the trial of Qobuz with Roon back when it was first available.    I really liked Qobuz integrated with Roon but, like you, saw that a number of albums just wouldn't play.   But I then realized they wouldn't play through the Qobuz interface either so I just chalked it up as them being new in the US.   Kudos to you for logging the ticket.

Which NUC did you buy and how is it configured?   Just curious because that'll be my next step as well.   I've been leaning toward a NUC8i5BEK w/ 8gb RAM and a 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 drive and keeping my music on either a NAS or perhaps just an external USB 3 drive.

Please post when you figure out what the problem is.   My one hesitation with Rock is that I know Win 10 but don't now squat about Rock.   When you say "it crashes" do you mean the NUC or just Roon?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:41 AM »
Making progress I seem to have resolved the network issue. can be sure if it was anything I did..
However I am working with Roon and they are troubleshooting crashes ans they suspect a corrupted application. time will tell