Author Topic: 6C33C-B power triodes  (Read 27823 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
6C33C-B power triodes
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:18:46 AM »
I have a new tube amp coming soon that uses these power tubes.it uses four of these 6C33C-B's and i realised that i wanted to have enough power tubes to retube it when it arrives and have some spares too.a guy over @ AA  recomended a Ebay dealer from the UK named Anthony Welsh. i ordered a lot of 8 tubes  from him at a cost of $15.00 per tube. the same tube here averages $40.00 a pop. he has good feedback from customers in the US who bought these tubes from him.has anyone here done any business with Anthony Welsh ? thanks....WCW III 6C33C-B Mil Grade Audiophile Triodes. New. Set of 8
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 07:19:50 AM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

WEEZ

Re: 6C33C-B power triodes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:59:36 AM »
Nope.

Curious about the new amp, though :)

WEEZ

Offline Bunky

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 06:27:32 AM »
Nope.

Curious about the new amp, though :)

WEEZ
WEEZ, its a Balanced Audio Technology VK 60
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
Nice 8)

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 06:08:23 PM »
I went to the post office today and picked up a package of eight 6C33C-B power tubes. The tubes were sent directly to me by a guy named Yuri Shevchenko from the Ukraine.i lightly polished the pins with a very fine abrasive cloth and installed a quad of them in the VK 60 and turned it on and let the autobias do its thing,they work like a charm.life is good! thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
I have a new tube amp coming soon that uses these power tubes.it uses four of these 6C33C-B's and i realised that i wanted to have enough power tubes to retube it when it arrives and have some spares too.a guy over @ AA  recomended a Ebay dealer from the UK named Anthony Welsh. i ordered a lot of 8 tubes  from him at a cost of $15.00 per tube. the same tube here averages $40.00 a pop. he has good feedback from customers in the US who bought these tubes from him.has anyone here done any business with Anthony Welsh ? thanks....WCW III 6C33C-B Mil Grade Audiophile Triodes. New. Set of 8
Seems Bunky's got a system in every room in the house..  :beer:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
I know this is a very old thread to revive but I feel compelled to share. I bought a bunch of 6C33C tubes from a Yuri (Yuriy) from the the Ukraine and to my dismay after winning the auction on eBay I'm not able to pay the guy. Ebay keeps telling me that Paypal accounts in the Ukraine can only send out payments but not receive them. I've contacted Yuriy a bunch of times to no avail. I don't know if this is the same Yuri mentioned here but I figure I'd give people the heads up. Normally when I google something audio related an Audionervosa discussion thread is in the search results a majority of the time.

I just am having no luck with these Russian Federation 6C33C tube vendors. I paid for a batch of tubes in late March and I still have not received them. Ebay quoted me a delivery estimate of mid April. I think I should have received them now. Should I give the vendors more time?

Also has anyone heard of Soutek 6C33C tubes? I've heard of the Sovtek ones as well as the ones from the Ul'anov factory but never these Soutek ones. Searches on google don't return much info.

Thanks

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
Quote from: sleepyguy24

I just am having no luck with these Russian Federation 6C33C tube vendors. I paid for a batch of tubes in late March and I still have not received them. Ebay quoted me a delivery estimate of mid April. I think I should have received them now. Should I give the vendors more time?

Thanks

Shipping to & from the European continent can be a huge PIA! Unless they're FedEx'd, the delivery times can be extremely unreliable...

My $0.02,
Pete
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:00:07 PM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
I got some teflon caps from Russia a month or so ago.... took 3+ weeks via priority mail shipment... if sent regular postal mail not the expedited kind (similar to first class postage versus Priority and express mail here with the USPS), it could be longer...  has the vendor said the item actually shipped?  from the date they communicated they were shipped, that's when I'd start counting forward....

never heard of soutek before...  label looks like Ulyanov printing on the one ebay auction that comes up in a search.... with the 93 date code on it, could have been transition time post communist fall and factory did labeling for another company????

sorry for the trouble...  I've never had that paypal problem with Ukraine recipients... but I believe they do some sort of weird thing where the paypal converts to western union or something when it is sent to them.... odd the guy never got back to your notes though... maybe doesn't speak english well enough to respond???

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
Thanks you guys for the guidance. The Russian sellers I bought the 6C33C tubes from got back to me today with a tracking number from the Russian Post. It looks like the tubes just left for the US today even though I paid them on March 30. They had marked it as shipped but I guess things take time to move from place to place. Now I truly know what to expect.

Also thanks Shane for the info on the Soutek tubes as well as the info about the Ukraine situation. I was trying to compare the pics I could find of the Soutek tubes to the existing 6C33C tubes I have and was getting confused. I also didn't think Yuriy didn't know enough English to respond. Sometimes I think the google text translators are readily available. Also I thought ebay has provisions for some translation. I owe you some e-mails. I'll write more when I can.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »
I had heard of Ulyanov tubes marked as Sovtec but I have never seen any. the vast majority of 6C33-B tubes produced were made in the Uylanov factory but some of the earliest 6C33-B's were manufactured by Svetlana and have a large winged C on them. some Svetlana 6C33-B's came up for sale a few years ago by a few Russian tube vendors and I bought eight of them.the Svetlanas are  the best sounding version of the 6C33-B but unless you get a bad one they all sound good :thumb: :thumb:
-- Frank Zappa

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »
Hi Bunky.

Nice avatar you got there. That was the tube I was originally trying to buy from the Ukraine. They were 8 Svetlana 6C33C tubes. I was doing a google search before and found New Sensor had either Sovtek or Svetlana 6C33C tubes available but they were $120 a piece. When I saw the auction for the Svetlana 6C33C tubes I jumped on it. Oh well.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Well I can honestly say that I'm done with ordering 6C33C tubes from Russia. In addition to the long wait times because the tubes are coming from around the world. Here are the problems I've encountered.

Defective tubes. 2 burned out and blew the fuse on my monoblock. Another lights up but the top is a dark shade of grey or black. So it looks like one of the 4 is usable.

The 2nd set of 6C33C tubes wasn't packed properly and the Russian Post really mangled the package. I mean they make UPS look like white glove service. The tubes bounced everywhere and 2 of the 4 tubes I ordered shattered on top. Looking at the 2 remaining tube they look ok but I wonder now if they have hairline cracks or cracks I can't see with the naked eye.

I'm hoping Yuriy from the Ukraine does a better job packaging. He didn't get back to me because he was in the hospital and couldn't reply back.

Back to finding a reliable US or Canadian vendor for 6C33C tubes. It sucks to pay such a premium for these tubes but it may be worth it with my luck. :(

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Could be that part of the premium you pay on this side of the ocean is to cover the costs  that the importer incurs with just the same issues you have run into.

The extra manpower costs of dealing with the problems as well as the costs related to bad tubes has to be loaded into the price of the good ones that are saleable if the importer is to turn a profit and stay in business. Ran into the same kind of issues when I worked for a wholesaler of marine tropical fish.  Marking up a fish 400% over the unit cost you paid for them may sound exorbitant, but when  more than half the fish die during the air freight shipment that kind of mark up did not do a whole lot more than cover our costs.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
something fishy about this  :lol: sry had to :duh
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata