Author Topic: Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v  (Read 8757 times)

Online Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:54:11 AM »
I've got PM's about who has PCBs for the original for years. Well I decided to make one for anyone wanting to DIY. I made it so I feel it is as safe as any AC mains type of thing can be. But I updated it to be better too.

GB at DIYaudio.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:59:15 AM by Folsom »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
   Nice.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Online Folsom

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Round #2 is up now.

Jeremy,  very nice! You do great work on your boards and the thoughtfulness of layout.

BOOM!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Online Folsom

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online Folsom

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
That is the enclosure that I was trying to get a GB going for, for the PCB boards. Although the GB wouldn't have screen print unless it was unanimous everyone wanted it.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
That is the enclosure that I was trying to get a GB going for, for the PCB boards. Although the GB wouldn't have screen print unless it was unanimous everyone wanted it.

As I have an Uber from Dave, would this perform a similar function or be complementary to what the Uber does?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online Folsom

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
They have the same goal to reduce noise. The big difference is the Uber is mostly differential, and this does a lot of common mode.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
  Do you have any before and after measurements to support EMI and common mode noise reduction ? What is total cost without labor ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Online Folsom

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:48 PM »
I could produce a few measurements. But I warn you that graphs on power conditioners are to be taken with a grain of salt. The AC system is so complex that you can’t model or measure infinitely in one go, so you end up with something that may be a very different measurement from any other possibilities in any other stereos. So the secret is to understand what the AC types of noises and behavior are, rather than specific ones.

But really if you want to make it simple a reactance calculator will give you an approximate idea of how much noise it is possible to do some attenuation on. Just remember the caps are first so their impedance isn’t high per se, compared to the inductor.

To be even more simple about it, there is no mystery whether or not CMC’s work. But there are some gentle differences that become rather big when you’re listening, comparing filters like the original and mine. Did you see the difference in using a bunch of cap values and a single value? Turns out multiple values doesn’t hold the desires people want, as the differences in settling times makes everything screwy.

I don’t have a cost without labor for PCBs. If you mean the one-off, well that depends, are you wondering the price of one-offs or of multiples? I can assure you I don’t typically not charge any labor (or markup, I’m not an altruistic billionaire). One-offs take a surprising amount of time between all the parts, assembly, enclosure planning, tooling, etc.

If you want to DIY the board+connector was $13ea and CMC’s range from $8-12 or so each, caps $1~, resistors $2~, fuse stuff $1~. Other prices for parts are fairly common. Building your own is by far the most cost effective thing you can do - but that is really only something that people who won’t by commercial are willing to do.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »
  Thanks for the answer answer. I hear a difference when using different power conditioners. Some it is tonality, others sound stage, others a non linear sound. They range in cost from $200 to 10K.
  Isolation transformers were the worst offenders sonic wise. Even the Promithius a custom wound and designed for audio produced a forward sound. The Richard Gray was bright. Have not tried a Blue Circle Isolation Transformer yet.
  The best result was using 3 dedicated lines off a sub panel with individual conditioners on each line. Separating the mono blocks and digital proved best. The sound was restricted using one dedicated line and one conditioner.
  This can get expensive fast if using mono block amps and dual mono preamp. Three digital sources as well.

charles

Online Folsom

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »
Cool!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe