Author Topic: Step-up transformer  (Read 2766 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Step-up transformer
« on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:59 AM »
Any recommendations for a good step-up transformer brand? I have some 220v electronics. I bought one from Fry's but I can hear it hum. Is this normal and will a better built one give me better sound?

Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Step-up transformer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
Check out the Hagerman Piccolo. Not a transformer but a head amp and plenty of controls on it to fine tune your sound.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
Check out the Hagerman Piccolo. Not a transformer but a head amp and plenty of controls on it to fine tune your sound.

Bob you did the exact same thing I did when I first read this post. I saw step up transformer and my mind immediately went to a LOMC cartridge. But when I read it again I realized that Paul was not talking about a transformer for his phono stage but rather something to to bump up the voltage of his commercial power so he can use a 220V device with 120v mains.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Interesting stuff. However, what I really need is a step-up/down voltage transformer to change the mains voltage to feed my 220v cd player.  :)

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SEYAS-Transformer-Converter-Continous-Protection/dp/B06VVXN2SR/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PG1RVR8H57M9246RHT0M

that is industrial grade. I can hear the hum from the one I bought.