Author Topic: Farewell Thiel...  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Farewell Thiel...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »
They should have got the CEO from Bose. Now that guy can sell.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Farewell Thiel...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »
Their third CEO since 2012? Not good.

Besides, not for nothing, but IMHO the Thiel brand died the day that Kathy Gornik (Jim's business poartner and president of the company) sold the company to an group of investors, none of which had any experience in High End Audio. Up until that point Kathy had kept Jim's legacy alive, but as soon as the new group took ovber they trashed all of Jim's designs and took the company in a whole different direction. The current line of speakers is neither time nor phase coherent and the only similarity they have to any of Jim's speakers is the spelling ofthe name. That said,  I can't say anything one way or the other about how the sound because I have never heard any of them, but the design philosphiesa re so radically different, that I fell confident is saying that they are nothing like the "classic" Thiel designs.  

But this is not a new concept. While you may find mass maketet mid-fi equipment current sold under such names as JBL, Fisher and Harmon/Kardon, no of this equipment works even remotely like the 1950s vintage tube gears but out by these companies.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables