Author Topic: I remember back in 1997 - 1998 when...  (Read 2076 times)

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I remember back in 1997 - 1998 when...
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »
Jim McDougall and I were reminiscing about building McGee Electronics Sweet 16's when we were much younger on the Madisound BBS.  They used 2 or 3 different drivers to spread the honky resonances out over a few octaves to make them not suck.  They were fun to listen to when I was in my late teens, early twenties.  Danny Richie, Rick Craig and a couple of others got interested in what were to be later known as line arrays.  I bought a bunch of MCM55-1870 drivers and built a 16 driver line array with a Dayton ribbon in the middle.  Sounded OK, but not great due tothecombfiltering going on.  Talk about head in the vise!  Fun, it just wrong.
I'm so thankful for Jim, Danny, Rick, Curt and all of the others that took ourrememberance a created great systems from this old bones.

Scott Clark was a recipient of many of the extra drivers that I had here to use to teach a physics class.  That has always made me smile.

Rock on, ya'll.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:39:54 PM by dBe »

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I remember back in 1997 - 1998 when...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »

Scott Clark was a recipient of many of the extra drivers that I had here to use to teach a physics class.  That has always made me smile.

Rock on, ya'll.
And several of my kids went on to make some fine sounding speakers from those drivers.  I remember one set that measured +-2 db from 200 Hz up to 20K.  Those kids were designing excellent crossovers just about the time I retired.  Thanks, Dave.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I remember back in 1997 - 1998 when...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

Rock on, ya'll.
And several of my kids went on to make some fine sounding speakers from those drivers.  I remember one set that measured +-2 db from 200 Hz up to 20K.  Those kids were designing excellent crossovers just about the time I retired.  Thanks, Dave.
It was my pleasure, Scott.  Any time I can be a positive influence on a younger person, I'm there!

You did good work with your students, my friend!...