Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127123 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
DTQWT-12
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
Designed by Troels Gravesen in Denmark.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-12.htm

95dB, 8 ohms, full range, passive crossover, horn loaded 3 way

Drivers:
Audax 1.2" silk dome tweeter with wave guide
Custom uncoated paper midrange designed by Gravesen, made by SEAS with foam surround
Eminence Deltalite 2512 woofers (2 per speaker, on rear baffle)

The bass drivers will fit in my previous E-Lips OB baffle as will the upper drivers, using an active crossover.

I bought the kit from Jantzen about 2 months ago, with the crossover parts, tweeter and midrange drivers. I procrastinated on buying the woofers, but after Axpona I got psyched up to get started. The Eminence drivers I had sitting in my partsexpress cart were gone. A huge 85% price increase when I tried to put them back in. Neodymium magnets and copper coils are skyrocketing. Same price hike at USspeakers.com. Google shopping found plenty of them still marked at the old price.  :thumb: I might buy 4 of the 10" and 2 of the 15" while I still can, for future iterations of this design.

Now I need to pick up the plywood and draw a cutting plan.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these. There is a smaller version with 10" bass drivers which a couple dozen people have built and commented favorably on the sound. Only one other guy in Italy has built these big ones. But what can I say, I like big bass and I cannot lie.

Not sure about how to finish them. Veneer would be nice, but I don't think I want to sink another $500 into it. These boxes are huge 1' x 2' x 5'. So I will probably use contact paper or paint. Dunno yet.

I bought my Manley 300Bs 2 years ago destined for these Troels speakers. Finally getting around to it. Can I do it in one month?
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
  Now that sounds like something to love. 300Bs and those could just put you over the top. Wow1

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
Time will tell Charlie. It could suck. Only one other person has ever heard it, and he's not said much since his first impressions. But by my calculations it should be at least OK. Enough to get me down the road to where I can buy something better. I won't sell the 300Bs until I use them for the reason I bought them. They can make 24W in PP, so should be enough to boogie with twin 99dB woofers in a 10 foot long horn. We'll see. Keeps me out of jail.

I found a place for pro woodworkers to buy veneer in quantity. No more Rockler $10 /sq ft.
http://www.glveneer.com/index.html
Long way to go before that decision.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Time will tell Charlie. It could suck. Only one other person has ever heard it, and he's not said much since his first impressions. But by my calculations it should be at least OK. Enough to get me down the road to where I can buy something better. I won't sell the 300Bs until I use them for the reason I bought them. They can make 24W in PP, so should be enough to boogie with twin 99dB woofers in a 10 foot long horn. We'll see. Keeps me out of jail.

I found a place for pro woodworkers to buy veneer in quantity. No more Rockler $10 /sq ft.
http://www.glveneer.com/index.html
Long way to go before that decision.

Look out, the sawdust is flying again!  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
Can't wait to see how it turns out. Now get to work.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Finally getting around to it. Can I do it in one month?
Rich

Get with it, boy  :pop !!!

You've got to finish this project before you can think seriously about those Legacy's  :rofl:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
Hey Steve, You should have been a poker player - You can read minds.

More like I need to sell these before I can afford Legacys!!  :rofl:

I'm hoping I will like them better than Legacys. What are the odds of that?? 1:100  But the violins will sound nice... Hopefully not too nice.

I laid out the cutting plan. I will need six sheets of 4x8 for the pair, with 2 sheets of waste. Pisser! Most of the parts are 58 inches long. No other way but waste it. If I put them on 5x5 Baltic birch it fits better, but it won't fit in my van and it will cost a lot more.

Time to go pray that Kirsti Ally gets kicked of the dancing show.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:42:09 PM by richidoo »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
Baltic Birch would make a better cabinet...you know  :twisted:!

I can come over in my pick-up and we can make a plywood run.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
I'll check prices. One vendor says they sometimes stock it in 4x8. I can borrow a friends pickup like I did last time I bought some. I'm planning on double layering the sides anyway, so I think that with cheap ply will be better than one layer of BB.  Anything's better than MDF. Another idea is the greenglue sandwich of 3 or 4  1/4" layers - practice what I preach, damping quiets better than mass. Lots of work though. Thanks for offering Steve.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
Sounds very promising, and fun!  Enjoy! :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
All Right Rich,
         This will make a fun read over the next 29 days.  Looking forward to all the pictures.  :thumb:

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:02 AM »
 Hey Rich what about a 2" thick Spruce front and laminated Bamboo ply for the rest ? Check out The Mother of Tone Site. He likes Spruce. www.mother-of-tone.com

charles
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:43:30 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
It will be 1.5" thick near the midrange driver with side wall bracing close by. That worked pretty good on the ELips even with much larger Mms and less well braced drivers than this box will have.

I tried pine with various Feastrex projects. Sounds good on some music, not on others, because resonance of spruce is nonlinear and too high frequency. It colors midrange too much. Some people like this and buy speakers like Musical Affairs or Ocellia which are built like a violin. They sound great on string quartets. Spruce's nonlinearity is perfect for a musical instrument where the artist wants a unique, personal sound, different from other violins. It is not suitable for a speaker that has to reproduce all other musical instruments because it resonates in a non linear way. IMO, fidelity is better than beauty in a speaker. I can add sweetening if necessary in a more controlled and linear way with tubes or magnetics, they are linear in audio band so there will be no nasty sounds at one freq. like a pine speaker does. And I won't find myself listening to only music that sounds good on those speakers. I want the next speakers to be good on any music.  Thanks rollo!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »
It will be 1.5" thick near the midrange driver with side wall bracing close by. That worked pretty good on the ELips even with much larger Mms and less well braced drivers than this box will have.

I tried pine with various Feastrex projects. Sounds good on some music, not on others, because resonance of spruce is nonlinear and too high frequency. It colors midrange too much. Some people like this and buy speakers like Musical Affairs or Ocellia which are built like a violin. They sound great on string quartets. Spruce's nonlinearity is perfect for a musical instrument where the artist wants a unique, personal sound, different from other violins. It is not suitable for a speaker that has to reproduce all other musical instruments because it resonates in a non linear way. IMO, fidelity is better than beauty in a speaker. I can add sweetening if necessary in a more controlled and linear way with tubes or magnetics, they are linear in audio band so there will be no nasty sounds at one freq. like a pine speaker does. And I won't find myself listening to only music that sounds good on those speakers. I want the next speakers to be good on any music.  Thanks rollo!

No, thank you I learned something today.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
This will make a fun read over the next 29 days. 

If e-lips was any indication this will be much more than a 29 day project!  8)

Which is not necessarily bad for us since I thought e-Lips was a great thread.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables