Author Topic: G2G Richidoos May 30  (Read 21985 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: G2G Richidoos May 30
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Roger, Grover did not mention any changes to the SC wires, he just said they are shipping. You are correct, latest speaker wire spec is "SC" (last I heard.)

Yup 4pm. How bout a nice egg salad, Steve? You can leave in the car while you work that morning, then it will already be warmed up.   :drool:   Thanks for the offer to bring Ole Smoothie, but you're already bringing a lot of stuff. I'll let you know if we need it. Thanks...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »
If I may make a suggestion, pick one thing you want to compare.  I think Rich is into hearing amps and DAC's lately and I think it'd be best if we can say for sure, we'll compare one of those.  If we prioritize amps (for example) I think we'll be able to take away more from the experience. Then if we have time, compare DAC's.

I'm willing to bring my amp (MC402), preamp (Sol-modded C-220), and/or Scott Nixon USB DAC.  I also have a pair of Shane's SC3 IC's that have been burning in for a few weeks non-stop.  They are the best IC's I've ever heard.

Also, I plan to have a DAC-off ;) at my house as the first comparison party in mid-to-late June.  I figure starting at the source is a good idea for comparisons in the new room.

The Mac pre is a great all-arounder to me.  I can come early to see if it's transparent enough for comparisons.. or hold off.. but what people bring is dependent on what we (or really Rich) want to do.. Just let me know and I'll bring gear accordingly. 
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
Thanks Carl, that is wise advice.   It is easy to overbook, then it's a shame if heavy gear does not get airtime.

I am curious to hear if my Cullen modded DAC stands up to other DACs in the group. So RichardS is bringing his Northstar DAC, Shane is bringing Oracle, and Steve is bringing his stock version of the same DAC as mine. Carl, if you are curious how the TubeDAC fits in, please bring it. The Altmann will soon be for sale, so if anyone wants to hear that they may.

mdconnelly, can you bring the Oracle transport? It will nice to have a reference transport for the comparison, and to hear the Oracle stack together once again.

RichardS is bringing a very special digital cable, Harmonic Tech Cyberlight Photon. That should make some interesting conversation. Mike, please bring your analysis plus digital (aka big yellow), or Carl, or whoever owns that thing now, I can never remember. Shane might bring a JPS digi.  I don't have a high end digital cable so it will be interesting to see how my cheapo stands up to the best.  That should cover us for the digital source.

Carl Shane and Steve please bring your SC3 RCA interconnects.  Can someone please bring one set of balanced XLR JPS interconnects too, if anyone has any, for direct connecting DACs to amp in balanced mode.  (mac and AR only)  :drool:

Carl please bring the C220 so we can do remote control source switching. Sam Tellig is reviewing it next month and will slobber all over it as usual. Too bad he can't hear it as God intended.  And yes, please bring the MC402 too. It will be great to compare a couple amps to the Spectron while it is here. I love the Spectron sound, but it is intense and a little quirky, so it might not be best choice for the meet. It will great for Sol to hear a variety of world class amps compared to his i60 which is nearing completion of voicing.

It's a lot of stuff, but I know we can get through it if we don't linger when we don't likey. I think we will swap and compare, make note of our favorites, build a concensus system by 7pm, then relax and listen after that with minor swapping, like we usually do. Starting early helps get a lot more done.  We are doing pot luck, so my shopping and cooking is eliminated, so I can relax and enjoy. :)  The grill and oven are available if needed.

Rick Craig may bring speakers too.  His latest stuff with RAAL tweeters is awesome. So that is plenty enough to listen to for the day.

I have the FG panels airing out in the garage with an ozone generator.  I will lay them out in the sun tomorrow. Hopefully the smell will die down by Friday so I can bring them inside. But they will need more airing before being covered. It looks like a yellowish exterior spray, it stops mold.

Thanks everyone!  I think we have about 13 people now.
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:49 AM »
I'll bring the Oracle CDT1000 transport and my Grover digital and XLR balanced ICs.   I think Carl owns that yellow digital IC.    See you then!

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »
Rich,

I will bring all of my JPS SC3 cables (except speaker...unless you want those too). I've got plenty of SE & Balanced, I even have a lower range (SC+) digital cable that I will bring too.

This is going to be FUN...busy, but FUN  :drool:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
Looks like I'll be bringing my entire system minus the speakers.. You sure you don't want those too? ;)
I'll bring a pair of SC3's on loan from Shane... and will sadly be giving back. :(  I need to recover from some expenditures or I'd buy them.

In any case, that's all for now.. See you Saturday.

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Thanks everybody.

Bigfish8

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Our G2G fast approaching on May 30. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Food will be pot luck. Everyone please bring something to eat/drink. I will handle plates cups, etc.  Respond here with your contribution so we can avoid dupes.

Rick Craig is bringing Kabobs for the grill.
I will make a big green salad.
I have sixes of St Bridget Porter, Newcastle, Miller Lite, and some stray Dogfish, and Coronas. I need the space, so come thirsty.

I need to know how many people are coming, so even if you said yes a month ago, please chime in again. I think we have about 9 so far.

Gear on tap:
We have Spectron Musician III mk2 courtesy of hometheaterdoc, Audio Research VT100mk3 courtesy stereofool, i60 courtesy Sol Samet. Rick might bring some bookshelfs. I got a new AT150MLX cartridge for my TT, so you can bring some vinyl. New in the house is PS Audio Digital Link III with CullenCircuits stage 4 mods, being served by CullenCircuits modified Sonos player.  I have my trusty Samsung CD spinner but could use a better digital interconnect if someone would like to volunteer. I have my Grounded Grid tube preamp and also my B1 preamp. The GGpre is excellent, but I prefer direct connect to either of these. Neither have remote control, so a fancy preamp might be useful.   Grover is shipping the SCdot speaker wires today.  I believe mdconnelly still has the interconnects?

The acoustic treatments that I planned to have installed by now are due to arrive this week. Hopefully I can get some of it installed by Saturday.

Other gear is welcome as usual, just mention it here so we can make a listening plan.
Rich

Hi Rich:

I have not been home much later nor have had computer access for a couple of days.  I would definitely like to attend the G2G if there is still space.  Have no new gear as I have been in an audio lull and am waiting to build/install good panels. 

It would seem that salad, main course and dessert are covered.  If Vera does not have to drive to Charleston, SC on Saturday I will ask her to make an appetizer.  Heck, just plan on me for an appetizer!

BR

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 06:39:52 PM »
Hell, it's not a party without you Ken! Glad you can make it. Appetizers sounds great, Thanks to Vera.

I think the smell is letting up. Tomorrow I'll try to get some into place for the g2g, but it won't look pretty.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »
Have fun today.....and don't forget the photo's.....thanks !! :beer:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
You got it, Mr. Guitar-Cowboy.  :lol: 

My car's loaded up with gear.. I'll throw in a camera if I can find it... heading over now..

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »
Everybody had a fun time. Lots of good sounds, good food.  Thanks to everyone who came to the G2G, and to those who brought food and gear.   I learned a lot, thanks.
Rich

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
late and sleepy....

but a few words... and it will be a few for me for once...

weird vibe for a Rich get together... most of the time people wanted to eat and talk and not compare and listen to gear... which is fine because it meant catching up with old friends, etc... but we really didn't listen as much as in past meets, yet I was there a whole lot longer than in past meets...

Cullen modded PS Audio DAC - must need more break in... got beaten pretty soundly by stock version of same DAC... neither were any good.  Tried to be dynamic and ended up being thin, forward, and harsh...  i wouldn't own either one...  Richard's Northstar DAC, while too laid back in comparison to Oracle, was a better choice than either PS Audio piece...  the modded one especially was ear bleeding in a couple areas.  drop in the Oracle and it did with ease what the PS Audio was hoping to do and failed miserably at.

Spectron amp - sucked and completely unlistenable in the context of Rich's setup.  I honestly have no idea how other folks stayed in the room with it... it was awful from outside the house in the driveway.  I suppose it could work in a very different setup... but a system that is neutral and resolving is NOT the setup for this amp... it needs juicy and warm stuff around it to make it even remotely tolerable and I'm not sure even that will fix my issues with it.  I can see why Rich liked it in the short term.. but I think it would wear off pretty quickly even for him...

Sol's amps - The I30 is a winner even if it doesn't have the last word on control of the bottom end.  It is something that I would recommend to folks to buy.  Great job on it!  The 60 watter.... well... honestly it sucked...  it might work in another system... but not for me.  The 15 watter same thing.  Seriously good job on the 30 watter, though.

I know I'm biased, but nothing came close to the Oracle DAC1000 tonight.  I'd like to find a good alternative to it.  But I didn't hear it tonight with what was there.  It's not cheap (let's be honest, a good chunk of the price is the pretty case).  But it sounds good.  Different strokes and all that...

Thanks for hosting again, Rich.  It was great to see everyone.  

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline stereofool

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
Rich,

Once again, thanks for your hospitality!!!

As always, it was GREAT seeing everyone...indeed I did relatively little listening, this time. I must have been one of the ones 'yaking' more. I can't say that I heard anything spectacular today, which may be why I didn't listen all that much.

I agree with Shane...the Spectron was pretty much unlistenable...much too bright for my poor ears. That also applies to a number of items playing today...which may explain why I wasn't drawn into the listening area, except for a couple of times.

Sol, your 30 watter is a winner. It's amazing that it can drive Rich's BE 20's with such ease and sound so good. Well done!!

Well, my eyelids are about to drop.

G'night!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:09:01 AM by stereofool »
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:11 AM »
Rich:

It was one hell of a G2G and thank you so very much for hosting.  Shane and Steve did a great job of summing-up the night - yes, I was one of the guys more interested in talking with others than listening. 

I did get to hear the Spectron Amp.  Do you know that feeling or sensation you get when you taste a great beer on a hot day?  Well that describes the way I felt when Carl's big MacIntosh was switched in place of the Spectron.  The Spectron sounded bright and there was an edge to the voices of singers.  The big Mac presented the music in a relaxed style that for me was the best I heard all evening!  If the Spectron represents the best of the D Class Amps, I don't want any of them!

This was the second time I have heard Sol's 30 watt amp and like the others have said it is a great product.  Sol, you should sell a bunch of these!

I would like to comment that the food was just fantastic!  I had a great time.

Ken

PS.  Others will have to comment on the new Grover Speaker Cables as I was not present when they were evaluated!