Author Topic: Mullard 12AU7s Have Arrived!  (Read 16835 times)

Bigfish8

Mullard 12AU7s Have Arrived!
« on: November 16, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
I have waited many weeks, not too patiently, for NOS Mullard 12AU7 tubes to arrive from Andy of Vintage Tubes.  I really believed he had lost the order but to my total surprise the tubes arrived this week.  The tubes came packaged extremely well and I think that FedEx would have had to crush the box to damage the tubes. :clap:

I rolled the Mullards into the Candela after listening to a few of may favorite tunes with the Amperex Bugle Boys in place.  The Amperex Tubes were a significant improvement over the stock JJTeslers and I really like them.  Initial reaction to the Mullards are that the Timepieces are not as bright or forward sounding and the midrange has a fuller, warmer sound.  I am very happy as I think I have finally found the sound I have been searching for from this system. :beer:

While browsing Steve Hoffman's forum a few days ago I read where Grover's favorite tubes are NOS Mullards, especially with speakers which have a tendancy to be a little bright.  As I continue to listen the change in the sound is almost as significant as when I first plugged in the Burson Buffer.  I think I am experiencing first hand why people like tubes as you can tailor the sound of your system by rolling tubes. :D/

Ken

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: Mullard 12AU7s Have Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:52:37 PM »
Ken - Really glad to hear you're finding some changes that get your system dialed in the way you wanted.  You have a lot of great stuff, but it takes a little work and patience to get it all working together.  As they say, "season to taste".  The tube front end is great for that.  I'm still using the clear tops that came with mine, so keep us posted as you get more time on the Mullards!  Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:49:02 PM »
Congrats Ken! You've finally reached a plateau where you can relax for a minute and enjoy all your hard work. Buying the stuff is easy, getting it sound good requires a lot of effort and learning, (and more buying stuff   :roll:) and that's what the hobby is all about, to me anyway! I bet it sounds awesome now!

You know when we heard your speakers at myhouse, they were with my tube gear which is slanted the opposite way to suit my slightly laid back speakers. GT EL34, RCA clear tops, Grover wires, etc, all on the detailish side, I kinda liked it myself, but the midrange detail was extremely intense  :drool:. Mullards/amperex are too slow in my system, for my everyday taste, but even so I admit they do have a certain sexy fatness that is fun in my system too.
Cool!!
Rich

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
Guys:

I really like the Candela but I wish it were made so it would be easier to roll tubes.  I have disconnect everything, pull the Candela out of the stand, remove four screws and slide the top back to access the tubes.  I guess you can't have everything! :roll:

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 05:08:29 PM »
Guys:

I really like the Candela but I wish it were made so it would be easier to roll tubes.  I have disconnect everything, pull the Candela out of the stand, remove four screws and slide the top back to access the tubes.  I guess you can't have everything! :roll:

Ken

Ken,
            Mullards will ease the pain. Great choice for your sysyem, good luck. Andy is certainly one of a kind but you will always get thereal deal and best available.  Bugle boys as you found out can have a forward and bright presentation in some systems. They don't call em Bugles for nothing.
            Now about that equipment undressing, its takes some effort before climax. Whats a few buttons OOPs I mean screws.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
ken, you have to remove four screws?  i have to remove eleven screws to roll tubes in my belles preamp :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:27:17 PM by mboldda1 »
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
ken, you have toremove four screws?  i have to remove eleven screws to roll tubes in my belles preamp :rofl:

Don't you think it would be nice to have a little customized window to allow easy tube changes?  Well, now that I have the Mullards in place maybe I won't be rolling tubes for awhile. :D/

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:48:47 PM »
   Forget the screws I have 20 tubes now used to be 48. Thats mucho rolling. I used to leave the covers off.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
There is actually someone on AC who put the Candela in a custom wood case with two holes drilled on top for the tubes as well as a holder for extras :)
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »
   Forget the screws I have 20 tubes now used to be 48. Thats mucho rolling. I used to leave the covers off.

rollo

Rollo:

It is really amazing how much tube changes "flavor" the sound.  I could envision wanting different flavors of tubes depending your mood and type of music.  It is certainly a nice tool to have available and I think I will be talking with my handy neighbor to cook up something to make tube changes easier.  Thanks for the comment Tom as my neighbor is a cabinet maker.

Ken

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »
If you use a wood top, it would be way less ringy too.  You could kill two birds with one board, or something like that.

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 04:13:50 AM »

AS KLAUS WOULD SAY-HEHEHEH-just dont look to close,i made it in about 2 hours from start to first coat of tung oil

i can change tubes in no time-
i tried brimars and didnt like them so much i never have had any interest in euro tubes-klaus likes mullards i guess

my newest best is the  raytheon windmill getter-these have enormous sound stage

also do your self a favor and try some of the cheap "organ" tubes on ebay- you might be surprised
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 04:25:04 AM by rosconey »

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 05:57:40 AM »

AS KLAUS WOULD SAY-HEHEHEH-just dont look to close,i made it in about 2 hours from start to first coat of tung oil

i can change tubes in no time-
i tried brimars and didnt like them so much i never have had any interest in euro tubes-klaus likes mullards i guess

my newest best is the  raytheon windmill getter-these have enormous sound stage

also do your self a favor and try some of the cheap "organ" tubes on ebay- you might be surprised

Awesome!  Thanks for the tip on the "organ tubes."

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 06:19:32 AM »
rosconey, that is awesome.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 07:11:37 AM »
   Very impressive in deed. Nice job. Send a picture to Klaus, he may want one.

rollo