Author Topic: Internal photos of 90's era Tice Power Block IIIA  (Read 2980 times)

Offline TrueAudio

• Seeking Help
Internal photos of 90's era Tice Power Block IIIA
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Saw this on Ebay.  Always wanted one of these old school power conditioners back in the day.  First time I've ever seen someone take pics like this which would have required removing the rivets from around the chassis.  Obviously, things have come a long way since this time.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:47:28 AM by TrueAudio »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Internal photos of 90's era Tice Power Block IIIA
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
Saw this on Ebay.  Always wanted one of these old school power conditioners back in the day.  First time I've ever seen someone take pics like this which would have required removing the rivets from around the chassis.  Obviously, things have come a long way since this time.

I do remember the this Tice product quite well. Like cables and tweaks, this unit was a bit controversial iirc and a bit pricey. Don’t know anyone who ever owned one.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
I remember when someone knowledgeable looked inside the Hydra power conditioner about 10-15 years ago. They always advertised that it had something like 10 discrete components. What they translated to was something like this list:

case
cover
outlets to the components
incoming power supply outlet
incoming power cable
internal wire
X or Y rated capacitor across the line
Varistors across the line
circuit breaker
rubber feet

So basically the only thing inside that was truly "conditioning" the power was the Cap across the line and the varistor was there for surge suppression. Along came Jon Risch who DIY'ed his own version of this and specified good quality parts. So for about $100-200 on the outside you could make your own version of the $5000 Hydra.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
I look at most of the old tech advertised for “clean power”

The chassi internals on the Tice device is filled with circuit boards with little more than one or two passive of incredibly modest values or a bunch of connectors that make it look deceptively busy (complex - like it all does something) and yet be woefully wanting in what needs to be done to incoming AC to truly address the major issues resident in transmitted AC.

I couldn’t sleep at night if I put something out like that or the old Hydra.

Sheesh!!!   [-X
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
I look at most of the old tech advertised for “clean power”

The chassi internals on the Tice device is filled with circuit boards with little more than one or two passive of incredibly modest values or a bunch of connectors that make it look deceptively busy (complex - like it all does something) and yet be woefully wanting in what needs to be done to incoming AC to truly address the major issues resident in transmitted AC.

I couldn’t sleep at night if I put something out like that or the old Hydra.

Sheesh!!!   [-X

We are very happy you do not do that.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.