Author Topic: cheap desktop setup  (Read 3338 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
cheap desktop setup
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
I know there was a topic from 2014 regarding this very question:  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=5205.msg65911#msg65911  but I wanted to revive this.  I am hoping on keeping the price for speakers at or around $500 (preferable much lower if that is possible). :?:

A little background. I'm trying to create a new 2-channel desktop system so I can actually listen to some decent music. I used to have a very modest but tweaked 2ch stereo before I moved house. Now I only have a computer headphone system. No matter what I do, I just do not enjoy listening to music through headphones as much as through speakers. Until I get to move to a bigger place, I am toying with the idea of building a new modest system around a bookshelf or single driver speaker that would fit on my desktop. The computer will still serve as source.  I want to go the single driver route since it would allow for nearfield listening that would be impossible with larger or 2 or 3 way speakers.

I've read reviews for Kanto, Audioengine, Vanatoos. etc. My question is am I wasting my time with cheaper speakers such as these and are better off spending more? I've heard demos of some el-cheapo active pro gear/monitors. All sounded dreadful to my ears. I've also read reviews for the Mini Maggies.  That is something I might consider in the future. But for the price an active pair of monitors from KEF or Dynaudio would be within price range.

I also saw this: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fostex-p1000e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

It is so cheap I am tempted to just go and buy and try. Anyone with experience with this Fostex 'kit'? How do these sound for a desktop system? 

Offline malloy

Re: cheap desktop setup
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
And then there is this:  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/assembled-speakers/fostex-bk-40h-horn-pair/

$65 a pair!

But Mein Gott!!! THEY ARE, pardon my French, er German -- F*GLY :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:53:42 PM by malloy »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
And then there is this:  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/assembled-speakers/fostex-bk-40h-horn-pair/

$65 a pair!

But Mein Gott!!! THEY ARE, pardon my French, er German -- F*GLY :rofl:

Smokin’ deal and they don’t look that ugly imho. So where did you study German or have you just seen too many German operas?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »
Hi Nick,

Maybe ugly is too strong a word. Am  just not too wild about the grills. Maybe 'utilitarian' is a better word or maybe I've just been too conditioned to expecting veneers and real wood in speakers? But you are right, for that kind of money - can't complain.

I seem to remember you were going down the single driver route, too? 

As for the German, I had a German officemate who always tried to teach us a word or two.

Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:21 AM »
I would strongly advise staying away from the powered speakers. Get yourself one of those tiny digital SMSL amps, or something similar, for about $60-80. Then pick up a HiFiMeDIY USB DAC for another $70. Add any non-powered used speaker that fits on your desktop and you will have far better sound than with any of the powered speakers.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
Check out Soundots Bluetooth speakers. Check out Omega speakers with a Peachtree integrated. Have fun.

charles
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:45:42 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
Here are the full range LGK kit if you are interested in building some speakers.  He has some cabinets as well.

http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
Hi Nick,

Maybe ugly is too strong a word. Am  just not too wild about the grills. Maybe 'utilitarian' is a better word or maybe I've just been too conditioned to expecting veneers and real wood in speakers? But you are right, for that kind of money - can't complain.

I seem to remember you were going down the single driver route, too? 

As for the German, I had a German officemate who always tried to teach us a word or two.

Paul

Umm, yes, no, maybe regarding the single driver route. I did order the drivers, but had a very extensive listening session at a friend’s place using the exact same ones. The Mark Audio drivers were quite good, but I missed the dynamics and different presentation of my SP Techs which are now residing in Arkansas. I am checking out powered JBL 705p’s (recommended by a seasoned audiophile)and Elac Adante AS 61 and Elac Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim and the Fritz line. Depending on money, I may still get the Mark Audio single drivers.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Here are the full range LGK kit if you are interested in building some speakers.  He has some cabinets as well.

http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

Thanks! Will check this out. Never heard of this one.

Offline malloy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:48 PM »

Umm, yes, no, maybe regarding the single driver route. I did order the drivers, but had a very extensive listening session at a friend’s place using the exact same ones. The Mark Audio drivers were quite good, but I missed the dynamics and different presentation of my SP Techs which are now residing in Arkansas. I am checking out powered JBL 705p’s (recommended by a seasoned audiophile)and Elac Adante AS 61 and Elac Uni-Fi FS U5 Slim and the Fritz line. Depending on money, I may still get the Mark Audio single drivers.
Nick

I've heard about the Andante's. Since it's an Andrew Jones design, it reminds me of those KEF reference speakers from the 90's that I so badly wanted. I've also toyed with the idea of the smaller Elac's (Uni B5 or Debut 6's) but am thinking I  can get away with something smaller since I have such a small space and am definitely using just my desk for now.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
Check out Soundots Bluetooth speakers. Check out Omega speakers with a Peachtree integrated. Have fun.

charles

Do you remember the name of those little powered speakers that were a few doors down the hall from your room at CAF? (I'm having a senior moment here.  :roll:)

I thought they sounded very good for the size and price.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
I would strongly advise staying away from the powered speakers. Get yourself one of those tiny digital SMSL amps, or something similar, for about $60-80. Then pick up a HiFiMeDIY USB DAC for another $70. Add any non-powered used speaker that fits on your desktop and you will have far better sound than with any of the powered speakers.

These ones?  https://gemtuneonline.com/collections/smsl-digital-amp/products/smsl-sa-36a-pro-2-20w-tpa3118d2dap-amp-stereo-digital-amplifier-12v-power-adapter

Class T?