Author Topic: Harbeth Experience  (Read 4668 times)

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Harbeth Experience
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Man Jim I feel for you that your beautiful DIY design has a flaw. Regarding Harbeth there is a dealer out in LI that I don't think is too far from you. Sorry if you knew this already. Best of luck.

https://www.eastendhifi.com/
Address: 1007 Skyline Dr, Coram, NY 11727
Phone: (516) 318-8076

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
That looks interesting.  I like that it's half the price of the Clio.  Do you recommend it?

It's very good. It's beyond most of the stuff I have time to measure (or have time to learn to do). I do the basics. But I assume the more expensive Clio does more (and is probably more sophisticated)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »
Man Jim I feel for you that your beautiful DIY design has a flaw. Regarding Harbeth there is a dealer out in LI that I don't think is too far from you. Sorry if you knew this already. Best of luck.

https://www.eastendhifi.com/
Address: 1007 Skyline Dr, Coram, NY 11727
Phone: (516) 318-8076

Thanks Dean! Actually it wasn't a design flaw ha ha, at least not on my part. My numbers were spot on. I won't publicly call someone out but it is what it is. I have options once the spring comes. But I must say the result is not horrible. I have made some adjustments to compensate and gets me closer to what I need but technically not there yet.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Sometimes it better not to reinvent the wheel.

I kind of took a lesson from Greg Roberts and improve a known speaker design. Greg took the Klipsch design and re-worked it into the masterpieces he has. I kinda followed the same lead using an old Cerwin Vega H15 as a base. New drivers, crossover, modifying the bracing, baffeling etc. The latest version sounds pretty darn good for a tinker like myself. CV like Klipsch, put a lot of effort into getting the cabinet design about right. It was just of matter of refining it and using new state of the art drivers and crossovers.

You might call it cheating, but it seems like the best way to go if you are after good sound from an old box design.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC