Author Topic: Best Produced CD's and Vinyl  (Read 9545 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Best Produced CD's and Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »
You might think I am crazy but... I have come to think of this as a pointless endeavor. While I can name a lot of productions I like, most have some faults. Rumors, lots of faults. But I still enjoy having a very early 1st pressing, love the music.

Really I've come to appreciate how drastically different album to album sound. At some point you can really tell whether it's the album character you're hearing, or the stereo.

For testing a stereo I think having the very familiar album is better than a good production album.

When it comes down to production differences, you have questions of taste. With classical do you want chamber sound or orchestral stage sound? There are lots of questions.

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that Shawn is a young man who is relatively new to the hobby and is not so much looking for the penultimate list of audiophile albums, but more suggestions for musical avenues to explore. And from that point of view I think this a very productive discussion, in that he can check out some of the things that others have liked and then decide for himself what he likes and does not like and what artists, labels, genres etc he likes and does not like.

But you are right, lists like this are very subjective on a lot of fronts. Even with the TAS Superdisc list, which is pretty much the gold standard for this kind of thing, on several occasions I have listened to things that very very highly recommended and said to myself "Why?, I just don't get it.".
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 06:16:10 AM »
Producing a record is far more than getting good sound quality. If this is about actual production success then there would be few "audiophile" recordings included. Producer is responsible for the commercial success of the album. Commercial success does not require audiophile, or even good sound quality.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
...and Resphigi's Ancient Airs and Dances on Mercury

Check out the Orpheus version (CD) on Deutsche Grammophon #437533
My fav of all the Ancient Airs and one of the 10 best recorded records I've heard.
LOVE Respighi!!
Thanks for the recommendation.  I've got a copy on the way.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Producing a record is far more than getting good sound quality. If this is about actual production success then there would be few "audiophile" recordings included. Producer is responsible for the commercial success of the album. Commercial success does not require audiophile, or even good sound quality.

Unfortunately you are quite correct. It would be nice if some pride of product was still around like during the 50's and 60's for LP's. One of the main reasons for getting seriously into mono. Analog with tube equipment oh my !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline spm3

• Seeking Help
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:32 AM »

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that Shawn is a young man who is relatively new to the hobby and is not so much looking for the penultimate list of audiophile albums, but more suggestions for musical avenues to explore. And from that point of view I think this a very productive discussion, in that he can check out some of the things that others have liked and then decide for himself what he likes and does not like and what artists, labels, genres etc he likes and does not like.

But you are right, lists like this are very subjective on a lot of fronts. Even with the TAS Superdisc list, which is pretty much the gold standard for this kind of thing, on several occasions I have listened to things that very very highly recommended and said to myself "Why?, I just don't get it.".

Yes Tom, you are quite correct!
And how could I have forgotten DSOTM?!?!?!?!?

Haha, thanks for all the suggestions guys.
And I look forward to seeing your suggestions Tom!

Thanks,
Shawn

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
  A great thread forgotten any NEW recordings to add ?? Lets get cracking.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »
A second bump for an old topic that needs a little TLC.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for CDs of classical music. 

I find that I just do not enjoy the 80's alternative stuff I used to bop to and have fallen in love with classical and jazz.  I would like to slowly build up a collection of good classical recording and later jazz. 
Today I bought the "Respighi: Belkis, Queen of Sheba" - Minnesota Orchestra, produced by Keith Johnson" to get a good start.

Thank you!

Paul Hirst

Amp- Folsom 7297 with Fo-felix, Lofi, DCS2, Kuartlotron
DAC - Sabaj D3
Speakers - Wedgies, GR Research Dual servo subs,
DIY - cables, rockwool corner bass traps, absorption panels, enclosures
Room Treatment - PI Audio diffusors ( oh my!),

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
A sonic Gem.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
... Minnesota Orchestra, produced by Keith Johnson" to get a good start.
That was all you needed to say.  Mr. Johnson.  His work is always excellent.  Also, Doug Sax, Bob Ludwig, Bernie Grundman, and Bob Katz
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »
OK, time for me to get off the stick  and add to this thread.

Starting with classical, somebody mentioned Reference Recordings. Here a few of may favorites from Professor Johnson:

Eiji Oue  & the Minnesota Orchestra: Mephisto & Co.
Michael Stern & the Kansas City Symphony: Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ"
Tafelmusik: Popular Masterworks of the Baroque

All three are available on both 45 RPM vinyl and CD and/or SACD (although the Tafelmisk vinyl was issued in the 80s and is a bit tough(and pricey) to track down right now.

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition  &  Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - my two favorite recordings of of both of these pieces are the Reiner/Chicago Symphony and Ansermet conducting  D'Orchestre de la Suisse Romnade. Different reading but both outstanding in their own way.

The Reiners can be found at Acoustic Sounds on 33 or 45 vinyl and SACD Hybrid Discs and are curerently in print. The Anasermets are a bit tougher to get your hands on.  issued on audiophile vinyl as part of the King Recors Super Analogue series in the mid 90s, but they were only sold in Japan and are tough to find. Decca record did a nice job reissuing them as part of their Eloquence line of CDs and although the series is imported from Austrailia they are fairly easy to find on eBay at pretty reasonable prices.

And speaking of Ansermet, one of his best recordings was a 2 LP set done with The Rpyal Opera House Covent Gardens Orchestra called The Royal Ballet - Gala Performances. This album was originally released as part of the RCA Soria series, but Acoutics Sounds Analogue Productions label currently sells 33 RPM amd SACD versions of it (and I am told a 45 RPM set in in the works for later next year. ) This album is also available in the Eloquence , not as good sound as the AP version, but you can get if for a fraction of the price.

Two more that I recommend from the Analog productions series or RCA Living STereo reissues are Alexander Gibson /Royal Opera House Covent Gardens Orchestra Gounod's Faust& Bizet's Carmen and Fiedler and the Boston Pops doing Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Both have outstanding sound in addition to great music.

The Dvorak Cello Concerto featuring Janos Starker with Antal Dorati conducting the London symphony has long been one of my top of the pile recordings and is fairly easy to find in digital or vinyl (Analog production just previewed a test pressing of an upcoming 45 RPM release of this album at the recent NY Audio show. I was not there that day, but have been told that it was outstanding. I'll be one of the first on line when that comes out.)

My last classical selection for now is Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances by Donald Johanos and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Originally issued on Turnabout record it was redone as an audiophile in the 90s by Athena Records and then again more recently by Analogue Productions. Not all that easy to find, but if you ever see one do not pass it by.

Jazz is a bit tougher to recommend because there as so many different variants of its and many people have strong feeling about one ov the other. I personall a  m most into mid 50s to early 60s jazz and the artists who were big back then.

Three records I would recommend to get you started are Gentle Ben by Ben Webster, Ella Fitzgerald's Let no Man Write my Epitaph and of course Mile Davis Kind of Blue. Luckily, most good jazz albums have been reissued many times over the years so it is fairly easy to track down copies. I may take some work to figure out and then find the best sounding versions, but if you want to start by just getting an appreciation for the music, they are fairly easy to find.

The other thing that I would recommend it to be on the lookout for albums by Pablo records. Pablo was started in the by Norman Granz of Verve in 1973 sand featured many of the great artists from they heyday of Verve. People like Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Pass and Dizz Gillespie. I have heard many people say that it was a bunch of old guys past their prime,  but I think of it more as a collection of Grand Master who ahve worked for years to fine tune their craft to perfection. Pablo features tons of great music but they are not considered desirable by the collectors market so you can pick them up for a small fraction o=f what you would have to pay for original Verves and Blue Notes.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope you have fun getting started. Keep in mind that as you go you will encounter all kinds of different stuff in both classical and jazz music that you may really like or really detest. On of the quickest and easiest way to get familiar with all of the different artists and styles is to sign up for a Tidal (or if they ever get it together and launch in the US) a Qobuz account and then just try things out without having to pay for each album. The $20 - 25 a month you have to pay for the subscription is probably less than you would pay for two CDS and you can listen to 100s of different ones each month. It is a great way to explore.

And most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 12:43:48 AM »

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition  &  Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - my two favorite recordings of of both of these pieces are the Reiner/Chicago Symphony a

The Reiners can be found at Acoustic Sounds on 33 or 45 vinyl and SACD Hybrid Discs and are curerently in print.

I've heard the hybrid SACD of Scheherazade and it gets my vote. Fantastic performance and sonics. An older RCA performance by Reiner on CD remains my favourite.

The other thing that I would recommend it to be on the lookout for albums by Pablo records. Pablo was started in the by Norman Granz of Verve in 1973 sand featured many of the great artists from they heyday of Verve. People like Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Pass and Dizz Gillespie. I have heard many people say that it was a bunch of old guys past their prime,  but I think of it more as a collection of Grand Master who ahve worked for years to fine tune their craft to perfection. Pablo features tons of great music but they are not considered desirable by the collectors market so you can pick them up for a small fraction o=f what you would have to pay for original Verves and Blue Notes.

Ella was promoting her new album on Pablo in a video I saw on YouTube. Was this the one with Danny Turner on flute? Her rendition at this later stage of her career is, for me, the definitive 'Round Midnight.

I haven't ever seen any Pablo records anywhere. Will have to keep an eye out for these.

Anyone hear Custer Larue's  The True Lover's Farewell: Appalachian Folk Ballads recording on Dorian?

It is not classical, but is nonetheless a very finely recorded collection of acoustic music. I use this to demo gear.

Paul

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

The other thing that I would recommend it to be on the lookout for albums by Pablo records.

Good observatioin.  And I'll add that they are usually very good pressings.  When all things jazz have inflated ridiculously, Pablo vinyl is quality at inexpensive prices. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition  &  Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - my two favorite recordings of of both of these pieces are the Reiner/Chicago Symphony a

The Reiners can be found at Acoustic Sounds on 33 or 45 vinyl and SACD Hybrid Discs and are curerently in print.

I've heard the hybrid SACD of Scheherazade and it gets my vote. Fantastic performance and sonics. An older RCA performance by Reiner on CD remains my favourite.

Ella was promoting her new album on Pablo in a video I saw on YouTube. Was this the one with Danny Turner on flute? Her rendition at this later stage of her career is, for me, the definitive 'Round Midnight.

I haven't ever seen any Pablo records anywhere. Will have to keep an eye out for these.

Anyone hear Custer Larue's  The True Lover's Farewell: Appalachian Folk Ballads recording on Dorian?

It is not classical, but is nonetheless a very finely recorded collection of acoustic music. I use this to demo gear.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Just heard “The True Lovers Farewell” via Tidal/Roon and it’s a wonderful recording. In fact, that recording has the best soundstage depth that I’ve heard in quite a while. Thanks for the suggestion!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »

Hi Paul,
Just heard “The True Lovers Farewell” via Tidal/Roon and it’s a wonderful recording. In fact, that recording has the best soundstage depth that I’ve heard in quite a while. Thanks for the suggestion!
Nick

Yep. You are welcome! One of the tracks (Lord Bateman, I think) is an especially good test for vocal dynamics and dynamics in general. Very realistic and natural sounding recording. Soldier Boy (track 5) is a test of percussion reproduction and attack/transients.

It wasn't until I got a good enough cd player and NOS tubes that I really got to appreciate this recording.

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
I looked into Tidal and I was very impressed with the sound, but the selection of classical was very limited. 

Then I thought, why not check out the library. m We used to go twice a week to get books for our children and I heard that they had a streaming service. I have no idea about the bitrate since I have to get a card before I try it.  They also let you borrow CDs.  The Toronto Public Library has thousands of classical CDs and their streaming collection is quite good as well.

I should have thought about this earlier!  If Tidal expands their classical selection I would sign on.

Paul
Amp- Folsom 7297 with Fo-felix, Lofi, DCS2, Kuartlotron
DAC - Sabaj D3
Speakers - Wedgies, GR Research Dual servo subs,
DIY - cables, rockwool corner bass traps, absorption panels, enclosures
Room Treatment - PI Audio diffusors ( oh my!),