Author Topic: Mac mini parts  (Read 69 times)

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Obsessively Audiophilic
Mac mini parts
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
I've has the pleasure to speak with both HAL and Eric Hider about computer audio. I'm pretty much in the Mac camp now and would likely use an older Mac mini from 2009 thru 2011 or so at some point. As Eric would replace with various parts including a SSD, at what point does my mini cease to be a mini? I am aware that many, many lines of code were deleted in getting the mini to sound better. Doing a search, I found a little info about the OWC site and Mac parts.
Thanks,
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
SP Tech 2.1 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline dBe

• Seeking Help
Re: Mac mini parts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
I've has the pleasure to speak with both HAL and Eric Hider about computer audio. I'm pretty much in the Mac camp now and would likely use an older Mac mini from 2009 thru 2011 or so at some point. As Eric would replace with various parts including a SSD, at what point does my mini cease to be a mini? I am aware that many, many lines of code were deleted in getting the mini to sound better. Doing a search, I found a little info about the OWC site and Mac parts.
Thanks,
Nick
The mini stops being a mini as soon as you decide to make it a server.  A dedicated music server needs to be just that for maximum performance and, most importantly, reliability.  All it takes is just one of the plethora of automatic updates to sink that little ship.  No internet, no day to day tasks, just great music.

When a half a million lines of code are deleted to turn off all of the unnecessary (noisy and redundant) services all it wants to do is play music in a very convincing manner! 

I'll never own a Windows machine again, but that's just me  8)

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Mac mini parts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
Thanks,
Nick
The mini stops being a mini as soon as you decide to make it a server.  A dedicated music server needs to be just that for maximum performance and, most importantly, reliability.  All it takes is just one of the plethora of automatic updates to sink that little ship.  No internet, no day to day tasks, just great music.

When a half a million lines of code are deleted to turn off all of the unnecessary (noisy and redundant) services all it wants to do is play music in a very convincing manner! 

I'll never own a Windows machine again, but that's just me  8)

As Apples stuff is proprietary,  I was wondering if any of the mini parts would be replaceable. Also, was curious why the older minis of 2009 - 2011 or so, are more desirable than he newer models.
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
SP Tech 2.1 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A