Author Topic: Component Enclosures  (Read 3526 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Component Enclosures
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »
  Metal, wood other none. Lots of choices with what to offer in selection ? Lately removed covers from amps as per Michael Green recco. Sounded more open and focused. Go figure. Any thoughts ??

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Component Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
Hey Charles, which amps does this help?
Scotty

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
I remember Michael Green from years ago and he was one of the first to get into component vibration. Iirc, he used some strange looking, clamp like devices back then. If he also made speakers, I think he came to my house in so California to demo his speakers. They had a curved top that looked like an old, vintage radio. Had to be placed away from the side walls, so I didn't buy them
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
Maybe less vibration, maybe benefits from more RF.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
Hey Charles, which amps does this help?
Scotty

According to Green All amps. It was pretty obvious to hear. In my case the Arion HS 500 class"D" hybrid.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
I know this suggestion is not a "cabinet", but I have my stereo currently in a rack. I followed a suggestion by an audiophile friend and purchased some 12" diameter bicycle inner tubes. Fill 7/8 full or so, not critical. Clearly made a sonic difference. Can purchase inner tubes for ~$3.75 at Walmart, bicycle section.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:45:04 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
  The ole inner tube trick eh. Remember Arcicci ? Still have two airheads. Very effective with tubed gear. The most effective has been a wood box filled with sand with a wood plinth resting on sand. TT's really benefit with the sand box.
  Back to enclosures. Do we want a microphonic sound from that metal box when hit or one that is dead quite ? Some prefer the microphonic sound.
  D. Berning likes perforated alum. Others SS or heavy ga. steel. Th enclosure type makes a difference in overall sonics. Is it RFI protection, resonance, looks or all of the above ??

charles

DRN

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
MG also says to loosen your speakers in their cabinets. AND remove your wall outlets and let them hang out of the wall.
Crazy  (stoopid  dangerous) stuff.  :shock:
Not going there.
Every once in a while he surfaces on the boards.

Offline AJ Soundfield

• Seeking Help
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »
I'm ok with not loosening my screws. Just saying...
Loudspeaker Manufacturer

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
I'm ok with not loosening my screws. Just saying...

They are loose enough already :roll:. Couldn't help help myself  :D

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »
It really depends on the type of control you use. If you want to couple, you want everything tight to allow the vibration to make its way to and out the coupling devices used, such as Audio Points or other coupling devices.
When goung the decouing route, using damping material and a decoupling technique such as Herbies or a sanebox works very well.
You dont normally want to mix the two concepts in my opinion. Linning a chassis with damping material and setting it on audio points or other cone type fefeeand then on a hard shelf is defeating the purpose and a waste of money for the points.
There are some ways of combining these concepts that actally do work. Using the coupling technique and then setting on a sandbox works very well. This allows all the energy to transfer out of the component and allow the sand box absorb it all.
It really is a combination of science and art and done right, you will get great results.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
Could not agree more, thanks for the input Bill. Love my sand boxes.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »
It really depends on the type of control you use. If you want to couple, you want everything tight to allow the vibration to make its way to and out the coupling devices used, such as Audio Points or other coupling devices.
When goung the decouing route, using damping material and a decoupling technique such as Herbies or a sanebox works very well.
You dont normally want to mix the two concepts in my opinion. Linning a chassis with damping material and setting it on audio points or other cone type fefeeand then on a hard shelf is defeating the purpose and a waste of money for the points.
There are some ways of combining these concepts that actally do work. Using the coupling technique and then setting on a sandbox works very well. This allows all the energy to transfer out of the component and allow the sand box absorb it all.
It really is a combination of science and art and done right, you will get great results.
What you said.  I still love the sandboxes.  Oh, we have no cats.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe