Author Topic: Ad-Nauseum  (Read 6955 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Ad-Nauseum
« on: August 13, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »
I've been using AdBlock, UBlock Origin, Ghostery, etc for a couple years.

I found a new one called Ad-Nauseum that works differently.

Instead of blocking the tracking, or blocking ads, it deliberately and automatically clicks on every ad that online advertising companies serve to you. No matter what the topic of the ad, you click it. This screws up their click reporting to advertisers and really annoys them. So annoying Google has recently removed Ad-Nauseum from Google play. So you can't load it into your browser the normal way, but you can load it in developer mode which is very easy.

It also has tracking blockers and ad blockers and 3rd party filters so it eliminates all my other blocker extensions. It also speeds up browsing dramatically, no more waiting seconds for all the ads to load before the content is displayed.

Remember that Star Trek TNG episode when there is a big vortex in space trying to suck the ship in? And there's an alternate universe Captain Picard who can't remember anything? In the end the answer was not to fight against the vortex, that just wastes energy and eventually you get sucked in anyway. The answer was to deliberately go down into the vortex at full power. This allows them to break free.

DRN

Re: Ad-Nauseum
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
Hey Rich, thanks for that.
Seems to work very well in Firefox.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
Cool Richidoo just installed it even  can do it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »
Cool  :thumb:

I disabled my AdNauseum temporarily, going back to Ublock + Ghostery for now. As much as I like screwing Google, I'd rather not see any ads, and I don't like the idea that the more I click on these ads the more money Google makes, even though eventually it should swamp them. In the meantime I'm stealing from the advertisers to give to Google by automatically clicking without reading them. Google killed Adnauseum app in the Google Play store so reaching critical mass enough for it to be a real nuisance to them might never happen.  I'll keep reading about it and might try it again.

Another valuable anti-Google strategy I've been using for years is search engine conduit StartPage.com. It quickly serves you the Google search engine results, but it acts as intermediary so that Google doesn't know who the search request is coming from, so you remain anonymous to google while enjoying google search engine.
https://www.startpage.com/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
Start Page is ok. Ghostery works well and there's always DuckDuckGo
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
IMO no search engine works as good as Google. Now did I enable Ad-nausem? Ya my internet has been awfully slow, I thought it was worth a try.

I would love to speed up my Android Firefox... man is it slow! The Chrome is worthless however on it for Google Searches, it does this weird box thing around the results and I just can't comprehend how to scroll through and find what I want, my brain doesn't believe the boxes are anything but ads.

DRN

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »
I stopped  AdNauseum for now anyway. Noticed today it was slowing down access to lots O pages.
Don't futz with my Fox News!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
Ultimately, this ad stuff on the net and the endless phone calls are a royal pita and we're stuck with it. It seems every day I get a call about Google ads...I used to have my own business...or the people that want to sell me a car warranty. Dozens and dozens of calls over many months. If I could get a hold of these punks.....
Ahh, feels good to vent....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:04:10 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
I get a call daily. I wish I had Ad-nauseum for my phone. I need to invent a way to forward the calls to some non-automated help line in asia or something.

So far Ad-nauseum is a lot faster for me... could change.

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
Old topic but if anyone is still having trouble with browsers try Brave.  I find it fast and very secure.  You can choose whichever search engine you want. 

https://brave.com/

Paul
Amp- Folsom 7297 with Fo-felix, Lofi, DCS2, Kuartlotron
DAC - Sabaj D3
Speakers - Wedgies, GR Research Dual servo subs,
DIY - cables, rockwool corner bass traps, absorption panels, enclosures
Room Treatment - PI Audio diffusors ( oh my!),

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
I get a call daily. I wish I had Ad-nauseum for my phone. I need to invent a way to forward the calls to some non-automated help line in asia or something.

One day a year or so back I was really pissed at another crap call.  So I decided to engage, got a human on the line then proceeded to ask her if she was proud of what she did, if it she though she was doing some good in the world, and that I felt sorry for her for that this was the only crap job she could get...and then she broke into tears.  It didn't make me feel any better, but ashamed of my bullying response.  She did have a crap job, trying to make a living, but damn, I hope she found something else.  I simply hang up now. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub