Author Topic: dspMusik LCD has arrived  (Read 4283 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
dspMusik LCD has arrived
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »

The dspMusik LCD has arrived.

The system besides having the original USB, S/PDIF and Analog inputs with 8 channel DAC outputs now has both an optical encoder/switch and IR receiver for front panel and remote control operation. Digital Volume control, mute, ADC and DAC filter selection, selectable attenuators for both the ADC and DAC and input selection are available via the IR remote and encoder.

All processing is still 40bit floating point /192KHz stereo signals from the input selected. ADC and DAC's are 24bit/192KHz as before with the AKM devices.

The system is programmed for the customers requirements for digital crossover with the controls for the above capabilities now available directly from the dspMusik. It is supplied with a Windows compatible USB device driver. Apple OSX will see it as an ASIO audio device.

Contact me with your details for more information, or post questions in the thread.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: dspMusik LCD has arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »
That looks sweet Rich! Great to see the product continually advancing with the times.

There are a bunch of tutorials on yootoob about using Audio Weaver (the software for custom configuration.) I found this one about loudspeaker setup interesting.

The user manual is also interesting reading, with more technical details about the hardware and usage. It explains the jitter reduction technique, I/O details, levels, etc.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for posting the links.

The latest version of Audio Weaver is here and running with the dspMusik LCD.  Now I build the application and burn the firmware to the system for use.  Then the user has control over the normal functions they have wanted via the front panel or remote. 

Sounds quality is the same as the RevD hardware, since it is the same. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
Audio Weaver still available to customers if desired?

How much is the Audio Mad Scientist asking for new dskMusik LCD?

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
Audio Weaver latest version is only available from DSP Concepts.  I cannot license it for use and you have to have one to now run it for full programming capabilities. 

The dspMusik LCD is $2000.00 programmed by HAL for the users audio system requirements.  I have a demo unit available for trials.  Danville does not have demo units to ship for trials. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
New weblink to the updated Danville Signal Processing page for the dspMusik LCD

http://www.danvillesignal.com/high-performance-audio/dspmusik-2-8-multichannel-dac

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »
Hey Rich,
I read the user manual that richidoo linked and got a nice overview of the amount of flexibility in customizing the capabilities for each system. Very nice. I also noted the reference to the ease of controlling gain settings for various devices.
I've used digital volume control when I was running my old SB 2, but that seems like aeons ago now.
So I'm curious...When controlling volume in the digital domain, what are your thoughts about bits/sampling rates for optimum performance?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:04 AM »
Nick,

The digital volume control in the dspMusik is the 0.5dB step attenuator in the four AKM AK4495 DACs.  These run at 24bit/192KHz all the time and are the cleanest sounding I have heard.  I have used it with more than 20dB of attenuation and it still sounds as clean as 0dB. 

After living with the other units running 24bit/96KHz, the dspMusik just sounds cleaner at 24bit/192KHz.  Many reasons for that, so hard to single out just the digital volume control. 

Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
Getting ready to ship a dspMusik LCD to dpd as an update to his RevD system. New firmware and LCD display compared to his RevD for use with the updated version of Audio Weaver.

The updated Audio Weaver program has a new user interface and improved high performance Linkwitz-Riley and Butterworth filters that can now be used in block diagrams for crossovers.

Have also updated the ACA LS-9 crossover and VMPS RM50 crossover block diagrams for use with the dspMusikLCD for other customers to try. The VMPS RM40 crossover will be updated as well for trials.

Will soon be testing the dspMusikLCD updated crossover for The Megaliths since the update is complete. This should be interesting!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
Interesting to see MiniDSP now has a 4x10 system that has 8 balanced outputs via TRS connections to the external equipment.  Still using fixed point processing and at a max rate of 24bit/96KHz. 

The dspMusikLCD is actually a 6x10 system now with stereo S/PDIF, USB2 and Analog inputs with 8 HiRez AK4495S DAC outputs running at 32bit/192KHz and USB2 output.  Full floating point 40bit DSP processing with Audio Weaver as the development front end for the ADSP21479 processor.  The dspMusik has been using TRS balanced connections for over 8 years for driving either balanced or unbalanced systems. 

The front panel now shows the system settings for use with either the rotary encoder or IR remote supplied.

Anyone interested in trying the dspMusikLCD please contact me for trials.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:06:38 AM »
On second look they use RCA single ended and terminal blocks for balanced connections.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
Did a very interesting listening trial with the dspMusikLCD crossover I use on my speakers.

Created a Linkwitz-Reily 8 Pole, 2-way crossover and summed the outputs. The theory is that a L-R will sum perfectly when the high pass and low pass filters are used, so summing them should give flat response.  This is basically called an all-pass filter.

Ran the crossover as a HiRez DAC and listened with my planar magnetic headphones. Cannot tell the difference between that and just a straight connection, even listening through 16 poles of digital filters. Sounds excellent to me. Tried it with two other listeners and they just said it sounded great.

Makes me happy! :)

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
Did a very interesting listening trial with the dspMusikLCD crossover I use on my speakers.

Created a Linkwitz-Reily 8 Pole, 2-way crossover and summed the outputs. The theory is that a L-R will sum perfectly when the high pass and low pass filters are used, so summing them should give flat response.  This is basically called an all-pass filter.

Ran the crossover as a HiRez DAC and listened with my planar magnetic headphones. Cannot tell the difference between that and just a straight connection, even listening through 16 poles of digital filters. Sounds excellent to me. Tried it with two other listeners and they just said it sounded great.

Makes me happy! :)

I'm confused. If the filter sounds the same as no filter at all, what is the point of doing it?

What an I missing here?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
This was a test of how clean sounding a digital filter can be. 

If you cannot hear the difference between a direct connect and through 16 poles of filter, there is no coloration from the digital filter to the sound!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:46:08 PM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
The dspMusikLCD ADC is now running with Windows 10 via the USB port. Now measurement software and DAW can access the 24bit/192KHz ADC module for use. Also works with programs like Adobe Audition 3.0 or Audacity 2.x for DAW use.

Testing it with the latest Room EQ Wizard as it supports ASIO drivers and 24bit/192KHz ADC's with the latest version. MathAudio RoomEQ will work up to 24bit/96KHz, but this ADC only runs at the higher rate.

This will work on both the 8 channel and 16 channel systems.