Author Topic: Solid State Amps  (Read 11208 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Solid State Amps
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
Hello, Charles.

I'm closer to NYC this week than I have ever been in my life. We're staying in an AirBnB in Cambridge until August 31st. I do not foresee my getting to NY this year or next. Our next destination is Atlanta, GA where we will stay for one month in an already rented house in Decatur.

Thank you for the invitation.

Michael 

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
  More than welcome. Anytime you can Italian homemade dinner, wine and music, oh my!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
I was in Cambridge last weekend! Nice weather this year, enjoy the Charles River!

Offline Folsom

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
You may be able to talk someone into building one of my amps up very nicely. Certainly enough power, blows away Brystons. I didn't think the Modwright 150 SE was that special in comparison (I am sure there are bigger fans of MW gear than I). And it was compared with Daedalus speakers.

Well, it is budget friendly any way. Hell, it is friendly even with a preamp built that I like.

The other thing I would try is a tube amp so you probably don't care about that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:22:22 PM by Folsom »

Offline dBe

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
If anyone wants one of Jeremy's amps built, I can do this on a custom basis.  You buy the parts and I'll do the assembly.

OR

I have a build with non-stock components that I think is great for very sensitive speaker systems that uses a combination of Mills, PRP and Takmans resistors with Jantzen output coupling caps.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Also, there are some additional considerations for other applications. We can talk about your particular application and I will work with Jetemy to build you a Killer amp.

His amps really do sound amazing for very low dollars.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
If anyone wants one of Jeremy's amps built, I can do this on a custom basis.  You buy the parts and I'll do the assembly.

OR

I have a build with non-stock components that I think is great for very sensitive speaker systems that uses a combination of Mills, PRP and Takmans resistors with Jantzen output coupling caps.

Also, there are some additional considerations for other applications. We can talk about your particular application and I will work with Jetemy to build you a Killer amp.

I swear I felt like someone was whispering in my ear suggesting I email some guy I know in ABQ (who does amazing things with BUSSes and other stuff) to ask if he's got the time or inclination to build a Folsom amp for me. Hm. I think I have his email address here.

What am I getting myself into here? :shock:

Give me a little time to read through his thread on AC to better understand it before I plunge into a commitment. We'll be in Atlanta in two days, so I'll be pretty busy for the next week or so.

Michael

Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

OR

I swear I felt like someone was whispering in my ear suggesting I email some guy I know in ABQ (who does amazing things with BUSSes and other stuff) to ask if he's got the time or inclination to build a Folsom amp for me. Hm. I think I have his email address here.

Give me a little time to read through his thread on AC to better understand it before I plunge into a commitment. We'll be in Atlanta in two days, so I'll be pretty busy for the next week or so.

Michael
Michael,

You won't be disappointed.  Jeremy has designed a great implementation of a great analog/linear chip amp that delivers the goods.  It just rocks.  I've been listening to mine and like it so much that I never got it off of the exposed pieces of BB ply that I mounted them on to test.

Today is Gayle's first day of retirement and we will be leaving on a 12 day road trip up to Portland to see the kids on Saturday.  Our oldest daughter's birthday is the 6th and we are stopping along the way to catch some sights along the way and I want to see 'a guy' in the Slat lake area.

Hit me with an email and I can give you the skinny about what I have found and what the build options are.

Say howdy to your lovely lady for us.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Have a great time Dave. :thumb:
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

OR

Michael
Michael,

Today is Gayle's first day of retirement and we will be leaving on a 12 day road trip up to Portland to see the kids on Saturday.  Our oldest daughter's birthday is the 6th and we are stopping along the way to catch some sights along the way and I want to see 'a guy' in the Slat lake area.

About time, brother!!!! Enjoy your extended time with Gayle and family!!!

Love you bro!

Pax,
Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
  Folsom it would be a good idea to post in Manf. news here as well  all about this little gem of an amp. Cost DIY, cost built,options, etc.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »
Just a thought, but the Belles "Reference" 350A amplifier is mighty good. Has to say "Reference" though.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »
Just a thought, but the Belles "Reference" 350A amplifier is mighty good. Has to say "Reference" though.

Cheers

Steve

Steve I agree VG amp, especially with Vandersteen speakers and Planars.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »

Cheers

Steve

Steve I agree VG amp, especially with Vandersteen speakers and Planars.

charles

Interesting story Rollo. Went to northern Indiana to visit Earlmarc. Speakers from Indianapolis (can't remember name) were there, my 11A Line Preamplifier and Reference 350A amp. Played in a small Amphitheatre.

Speaker gent claimed his speakers could not be destroyed. So they popped in the Telrac 1812 with normal volume at the beginning. Well, we all knew what was going to happen when the cannons fired. Hands over ears for a destruction test. Amp clipped, speakers "exploded",
At 15 - 20 feet away, pounding on the chest. After it was over, the amp still worked, the speakers still sounded great. However, the speaker gent stated he was going to replace the drivers just to be safe.

Reference 350A and speakers were as tough as advertised. Regular music sounded mighty good.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
Depending on the power range you are looking for, the Parasound Halo series amps are very good indeed.  Have two friends with JC-1 monoblocks and going to try out the A23 stereo amps here.   

Really like John Curl's amp designs since he did the Blowtorch and BBQ system from CTC Builders and now Parasound and Constellation Audio.

The Pass Labs amps also sound very good, so they are the two designers I watch for.  Most are out of the price range stated.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:52:09 AM by HAL »

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
Thank you, all, for continuing to come up with ideas.

My amp shopping has taken a back seat to our searching for a new home in the Vancouver/Camas, WA vicinity to be closer to my aging mother. We hope to find a great home by April or May of next year, and sell our current home around the same time. One of several criteria is that there must be one room that is well suited to being used as a dedicated audio room.

Once a house is bought, I can go wild on buying an amp and DAC/pre.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom