Author Topic: NTB: Decent Power Amp  (Read 4199 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
NTB: Decent Power Amp
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
Hey guys: Need to get an SS amp from somebody here. Mine took a dump and can't be fixed due to age. Let me know if ya got something available and we'll talk.

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: NTB: Decent Power Amp
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
Don,
What amp is it?

Offline dflee

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
It is a Coda model 432. Coda informed me that after they discontinued it they found a bunch of parts and used them to make NOS and used up all the parts. I am in need of a replacement. May go with Odyssey cause to be honest I don't have the bread to go sota at this point.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
Don,

I have an AVA Synergy 240/3 SS amp with the Double Die option that is getting no use. It's 120watts/ch; it's a 3-channel amp. It's 2 1/2 years old and has 200(?) hours use. Like most of my gear, it gets packed up every time my wife and I return to Taiwan for the winter. Beginning about one year ago, we cancelled our cable TV subscription because we simply weren't watching enough TV to justify the ridiculous expense. That means it gets used a few hours each week to watch Netflix, DVDs, and to play 2-channel music a few months each year - only it hasn't been used since last September.

Price? Hell, I don't know. I think I paid $1749 (double die price included).

There's a small possibility I may decide to part with my 2 year-old AVA 400R Fetvalve amp. A lot depends on whether I am blown away by Don Sachs' tube amp which I will get to hear in his listening room in about two weeks.

One catch that is unavoidable - my wife and I are traveling and we will not return to our home until September 1st (give or take a couple days). I cannot ship it until then.

Let me know if either amp sounds interesting.

Edit: I have original boxes and documentation for safe shipping.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:07:47 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:11:46 AM »
Don,
If you do get rid of the amp, I am interested in it.

I need chassis with big heatsinks for my amp modules.

Keep me posted as that looks like a good candidate.

Best,
Rich

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »
Don -

I have a Hafler 280 with some nice tweaks - built with much better internal wire (Teflon 22AWG for signal and 18AWG for outputs). I also had new Musical Concepts PS-200 (http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_PS200.html) power supply installed 2 winters back. It will run low impedance loads with ease. I was it in mono as strapped mono to drive some Ohm Walsh 4 speakers. It's now gathering dust as I bought TMAZZ' SS amp last year.

Michael -

I'd be interested in talking to you about the AVA.

Gene
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:37:19 PM »
"Michael -
I'd be interested in talking to you about the AVA.
Gene
"

Hi, Gene.

I'm all eyes. What can I do for you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wife and I are in Nelson, BC for 2 weeks, and I'm going to audition a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp tomorrow in Don's listening room. Don said it is 95% of what mine will have, so it will give me an excellent idea of what mine will sound like. I'll also get to hear his KT88 amp.

I'm almost too excited to sleep. I've 'suffered' with my Nuprime IDA-8 and GR Research LGK speakers these last 3+ months, so I'm in for a real treat tomorrow. :thumb:
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Michael,
Sorry to be off topic, but I just ordered a custom phono pre from Don Sachs.  Tell him I said hello. I researched quite a bit and I know it's a gamble of sorts, but I have a hunch it will be excellent
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS