Author Topic: Magneticaly speaking  (Read 15482 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Magneticaly speaking
« on: August 29, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »
Guys: As things are going to be tight for a while longer in the old household, I'm looking for an alternative to new / better pc. From what i am understanding (which is very little) magnetic fields near the end of pcs helps. Does anybody make such a unit that can be attached
to a cord?

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Magneticaly speaking
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
Don,

I think you might be confusing magnets and ferrite beads, which are made out of a material that looks similar to magnets, but is not magnetic in nature.

When place around a current carrying conductor a ferrite bead will act as a high frequency choke and is often used to filter noise out of audio cables that are susceptible for one reason or another to picking up noise from radiated RF signals. But likewise they could also be used to clean up AC power cords that are used in areas there the incoming AC power contains of surperfluent noise that exhibits significant amounts of high frequency spectral energy. (In English, depending on the circumstances, they can sometimes be used to help clean up dirty AC.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dflee

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
What do they run and where can you get them?
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »
If you want to kill dynamics & musicality, go for the ferrite beads... Keep them away from ALL audio related gear!!!

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:16 AM »
I agree. Ferrite could have its place on cables carrying a digital signal, like an HDMI cable to the TV, or a cable from the PC to the printer abd you often see them there. But it chokes the life out of music on a PC or interconnect. I wouldn't even use it on a digital cable to a DAC.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
The place I see ferrites most often is video cables for PC monitors. In my previous response I should have made clearer that I was speaking in theoetical terms that a ferrite could be used to certain cercumstances to reduse noise over a cable, not as an endorsment that you should. And I do have to admit that I do not use them anywhere in my system.

It is always a very delicate balance trying to filter out noise without over filtering and pulling out transient information that is part of the signal. Pete is the man when it comes to power cords so when he says ixnay on the ferrites that carries a lot of weight in my book. But if you are really curious just google ferrit beads and you will find doozens of places on the net that well sell them to you for a couple of bucks a piece. They easily snap on and off so you can see for yourself. just make sure you get one big enough to fit around the cable you want to experiment with.

Ferrites are generally a no-no with audio, but if there is one thing I have learned in this hobby it is to never say never. And if you can pick up the parts without forking over a fist full of dollars sometime it is fun to experiment, even if ther is a 99% chance that it won't work.

(Kind of like why we play golf. The one percent of the time we make a really nice shot makes us forget about the 99% of the shots that we screw up.  :rofl:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
  Does not Virtual Dynamics offer a magnetic based IC ???

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
What HE said. :)

If you want to kill dynamics & musicality, go for the ferrite beads... Keep them away from ALL audio related gear!!!

My $0.02,
Pete
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline dflee

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I love the things that Pete's cables (What I have thus far) are doin to my system but it will be a while before I will be able to get  more. Was just tryin to think of ways to get a little more out of the system for small change.

Don

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
On restored Thorens TD 125 Mk 2 turntable I purchased it had a ferrite choke core on the power cord. I asked about it from the original owner and he said it was an old school trick. I was near a Radioshack one day and bought a couple of bags of choke cores and put them on my other turntable as well as the power cords of the Phono preamp and another DAC. The ferrite cores didn't add anything or take anything away in my system.

With the virtual dynamics power cords didn't they put magnetic or ferrite powder in their power cords? I remember a story some years ago where a cat carved up a guy's virtual dynamics power cord and the owner found it was made of $15 worth of parts. One of the main ingredients in the power cord was magnetic powder.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I love the things that Pete's cables (What I have thus far) are doin to my system but it will be a while before I will be able to get  more. Was just tryin to think of ways to get a little more out of the system for small change.

Don

Don move your listening chair round to see if the sweetspot changes. Turn the lights low when listening. cable management goes a long way. . Clean all connections. Move speakers a bit.
   Try different footers. Herbies, tennis balls, rubber balls, etc. Home depot thingies. You know the ones that look kike they may work.
     Recently put wooden shades left over from former window dressing at floor running vertically and got great result.
    Try weird stuff and have fun.

charles

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »
What HE said. :)

My $0.02,
Pete
+2

Dave
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »
  Check out madscientist-audio.com for magnet products.

charles

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
Charles, you should get some samples of the Mad Scientist power cords that utilize their "fixes". We could do a tour.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata