Author Topic: PI Audio Uberbuss  (Read 20915 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: PI Audio Uberbuss
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
Let the games begin.
The Majic cleared up problems I didn't even know I had.
And yes they were my realizations cause I wasn't told what to expect. (That's how Dave works).

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »
The Uber has landed! Now to put some hours on it and report my findings
Nick

New toys are always fun.  :thumb:

Toys?? The Uber isn't a toy!! Well, ok, maybe it is. I listened last night at low volume and it was wonderful!! As I've tapped into one outlet of four with just a few hours of break in, it was eye opening.
It'll be many hours before I do a review...but what a head start! Thanks, Dave!!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »
I am uberjoyed with this darn contraption!! The Furutech G is broken in and now I'm going to the polished P & S
Thanks Mr E!!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
Nick, can't wait to hear your comparison of the Furutech vs the polished P&S.    I decided to use the Furutech GTX in the wall and just go with all polished P&S in my SuperUber - Uber and Digi combined with TWL Silver Statement feeding it - all plugged into the Furutech.   Absolutely love it!

I know there's a lot of different power conditioner products on the market and new ones popping up everyday.   But damn, the Uber just works extremely well with absolutely no down side that I can discern.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
Nick, can't wait to hear your comparison of the Furutech vs the polished P&S.    I decided to use the Furutech GTX in the wall and just go with all polished P&S in my SuperUber - Uber and Digi combined with TWL Silver Statement feeding it - all plugged into the Furutech.   Absolutely love it!

I know there's a lot of different power conditioner products on the market and new ones popping up everyday.   But damn, the Uber just works extremely well with absolutely no down side that I can discern.

Mike,
I have a hunch that I may just end up doing the same thing. I hadn't thought much about a wall outlet,
but I'd think it would be very helpful. Im inclined to pick one type receptacle for the Uber as my equipment will likely change over the years.
It'll get more interesting when I plug my dac into the Uber
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
It makes my day when I see that my products bring someone closer to the joy of music!  I'm happy, happy, happy!

Thanks for taking your time and ding the empirical approach to the Uber.  It is always good to know what and/or which is the best for a different component in the system.  Some pieces of gear love the polished P&S (I do) and another piece of gear that might be a tad on the bright side would prefer the Furutech FPX(G) which is quite round sounding.  Another piece might like the stupid expensive GTX NCF.  It is all cut and try.  This is especially tue when the skeptics will say that all of this is hogwash.  Of course, none of those guys will try anything outside of their realm of book larnin' which serves as a basis for things, not a final authority.

Remember, I'll trade out receptacles for you all at any time.   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
It makes my day when I see that my products bring someone closer to the joy of music!  I'm happy, happy, happy!

Thanks for taking your time and ding the empirical approach to the Uber.  It is always good to know what and/or which is the best for a different component in the system.  Some pieces of gear love the polished P&S (I do) and another piece of gear that might be a tad on the bright side would prefer the Furutech FPX(G) which is quite round sounding.  Another piece might like the stupid expensive GTX NCF.  It is all cut and try.  This is especially tue when the skeptics will say that all of this is hogwash.  Of course, none of those guys will try anything outside of their realm of book larnin' which serves as a basis for things, not a final authority.

Remember, I'll trade out receptacles for you all at any time.   :thumb:

Dave,
Just curious. Would changing receptacles require shipping to you or can it be a swap done by the owner?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
The receptacle swap is easy. 

BUT!!! You have to unplug the Uber and let it sit unenergized for 10 minutes before opening it up.  If you don't, you could get a surprise of a lifetime from the Power Factor Correction network.  It can dump in excess of 100A when shorted until it is fully drained by the safety resistors.  That is enough to kill a person and is highly discouraged by my insurance company.   :shock:  The actual bleed down occurs in about 2 minutes, but better safe than sorry, eh?

All you have to do is remove the coverplate and the receptacle that you want to replace.  Remove the black and white AC and ground wires.  Remove the FinalFilter from the old receptacle.  Install the FinalFilter on the new receptacle and then wire it up. Polarity is not an issue, but I recommend that the FinalFilter is reinstalled on the same polarity side it was removed from for best results.  White (or red on some older Busses) wire to the Neutral side with nickel plated screws and the black wire (aka: the killer) to the brass or copper colored Hot screws.  Ground goes to the green screw (black on Furutech), reinstall it and you are done.

Make sure that the screws are tight.  I use Jena Labs contact Enhancer when I install the wire into the receptacles.  There "should be" enough left to survive one swap.  If it is necessary, any contact enhancer is OK.  Anything from DeOxit to model railroading Rail Zip will work.  Just remember: the tiniest amount possible is more than enough to treat the contacts.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »

BUT!!! You have to unplug the Uber and let it sit unenergized for 10 minutes before opening it up.  If you don't, you could get a surprise of a lifetime from the Power Factor Correction network.  It can dump in excess of 100A when shorted until it is fully drained by the safety resistors.  That is enough to kill a person and is highly discouraged by my insurance company.   :shock:  The actual bleed down occurs in about 2 minutes, but better safe than sorry, eh?

All you have to do is remove the coverplate and the receptacle that you want to replace.  Remove the black and white AC and ground wires.  Remove the FinalFilter from the old receptacle.  Install the FinalFilter on the new receptacle and then wire it up. Polarity is not an issue, but I recommend that the FinalFilter is reinstalled on the same polarity side it was removed from for best results.  White (or red on some older Busses) wire to the Neutral side with nickel plated screws and the black wire (aka: the killer) to the brass or copper colored Hot screws.  Ground goes to the green screw (black on Furutech), reinstall it and you are done.

Make sure that the screws are tight.  I use Jena Labs contact Enhancer when I install the wire into the receptacles.  There "should be" enough left to survive one swap.  If it is necessary, any contact enhancer is OK.  Anything from DeOxit to model railroading Rail Zip will work.  Just remember: the tiniest amount possible is more than enough to treat the contacts.

I got it!! Unless I want frizzy hair ....permanently....unplug and walk away for at least 10 minutes  :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »

I got it!! Unless I want frizzy hair ....permanently....unplug and walk away for at least 10 minutes  :thumb:
Nick
Or, we'll just call you Sparky!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
Piece of cake Nick. Give it a go. Now get a Digibuss and plug that in Uber, oh my!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
A brief update on da BUSS! After a hiatus of sorts, I've broken in the Furutech copper. For the fun of it today, I plugged the Antelope dac Voltikus power supply into the P & S polished. Another nice improvement  :thumb: Fuller, richer sound and different/better retrieval of detail. Was listening to a duet using one mic and the portrayal was more precise and realistic imo.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
A brief update on da BUSS! After a hiatus of sorts, I've broken in the Furutech copper. For the fun of it today, I plugged the Antelope dac Voltikus power supply into the P & S polished. Another nice improvement  :thumb: Fuller, richer sound and different/better retrieval of detail. Was listening to a duet using one mic and the portrayal was more precise and realistic imo.
:thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
  We all know the benefits of an Uberbuss. Please try un-grounding all components from Uber out. Ground Uber. Listen then un-ground Uber and listen again. Notice anything ????

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
  We all know the benefits of an Uberbuss. Please try un-grounding all components from Uber out. Ground Uber. Listen then un-ground Uber and listen again. Notice anything ????

charles
Yeah.  Gear usually sounds better / quieter ungrounded.  Do it on your own volition knowing that if the end user does anything stupid and gets zorched it ain't my fault. I run everything ungrounded, but that is just me.  Be sure to check every circuit in the house to see that someone didn't reverse a hot and neutral somewhere.  It happens all too often, especially when a weekend warrior decides he is a Elek-tricann.

I was damned near killed in 1984 in a recording studio when some moron decided to run speaker wires made from romex (??? yeah: I know) in a chase that also had 220 run in conventional 12/2 romex right next to it.  The room was dark and we were going to pull new speaker cable in two directions from that point using the existing romex as pulls.  Stuck my pair of Kleins in and cut what I thought was the speaker cable.  I was working underneath an MCI half inch tape mastering recorder that probably weighed 250 + pounds.  With the blinding flash, bang and everything I raised up and knocked myself cold on the bottom of the tape machine overhang.  I was out for 5 minutes.  Last time I ever did anything assuming other people knew what they were doing.  Blew up a great pair of pliers, too.   :x