Author Topic: Integrated Amps...???  (Read 14242 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Integrated Amps...???
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
  Well if you would consider an Audio Research to try out I have one . The Classic 60, let me know. Plenty of power.

charles      

Charles

Isn't the "Classic 60" only 60WPC as the name implies?  My Naim amp is 70WPC and I'm looking for more power.  I'm just getting the feeling that my newly upgraded VR-4's have a lot more music in them, if I feed them more WPC.

Bill

All power is not equal, meaning the 60W of triode power will act like a 100W SS amp. I would noy have suggested the amp if it was not enough juice. Audio Research and VS are a very good match.
    I understand your desire to simplify. Just thought hearing as many amps as possible would be a learning experience.
     Hey just go but a Marantz or Onyko receiver and be done.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
Bill,

As I offered before, you're welcome to borrow my Rogue Cronus Magnum. It has 90wpc but sounds more powerful with the KT120 tubes I'm using. Drives my 87 db efficient (8 ohm nominal, 3.9 ohm minimum) speakers effortlessly.

It also has a phono stage. You can probably pick one up used for about $1400.

Rob
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
Bill,

As I offered before, you're welcome to borrow my Rogue Cronus Magnum. It has 90wpc but sounds more powerful with the KT120 tubes I'm using. Drives my 87 db efficient (8 ohm nominal, 3.9 ohm minimum) speakers effortlessly.

It also has a phono stage. You can probably pick one up used for about $1400.

Rob

That would probably work very nicely. KT120 tubes are definitely the wtg.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
  Well if you would consider an Audio Research to try out I have one . The Classic 60, let me know. Plenty of power.

charles      

Charles

Isn't the "Classic 60" only 60WPC as the name implies?  My Naim amp is 70WPC and I'm looking for more power.  I'm just getting the feeling that my newly upgraded VR-4's have a lot more music in them, if I feed them more WPC.

Bill

All power is not equal, meaning the 60W of triode power will act like a 100W SS amp. I would noy have suggested the amp if it was not enough juice. Audio Research and VS are a very good match.
    I understand your desire to simplify. Just thought hearing as many amps as possible would be a learning experience.
     Hey just go but a Marantz or Onyko receiver and be done.

charles

Sorry for my ignorance, Charles.  Considering that I've never owned tube equipment before, I didn't know that there was a "power rating curve" (1 tube watt = 1.67 SS watts) in comparing Tube watts to SS watts. 

Hearing as many amps as possible would be a valuable learning (listening) experience, but it will necessitate the auditioning of pre-amps as well, since my Naim electronics doesn't "play nice" with other manufacturer's gear.

Simplify, yes - but in all due respect to both Marantz & Onkyo, I'm not ready to go that far back in that direction.  Otherwise I would've kept my old Lafayette receiver and Criterion speakers that I had back in 1972 and never moved on from there!

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »
Bill
Rpf's offer is really the way to go.

A bird in the hand........
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Just FWIW, I have heard Rob's / rpf Rogue Cronus Magnum many many times, in his system and in mine.  It is excellent.  Liked it so much I bought the Atlas Magnum = amp only version of Cronus integrated.

These Rogue amps are rock solid built, dependable, very quiet, and very steady on the bias...which is a snap to do.  I have owned many many tube amps and this is about as worry free, dependable and reliable as toobulation gets.

And don't fall into SS vs tube sterotypes.  This thing can really rock and has bass as good as any SS I've heard in my rig.  And I've heard and owned more than a few well known and highly regarded brands.

John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:29:06 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
Just FWIW, I have heard Rob's / rpf Rogue Cronus Magnum many many times, in his system and in mine.  It is excellent.  Liked it so much I bought the Atlas Magnum = amp only version of Cronus integrated.

These Rogue amps are rock solid built, dependable, very quiet, and very steady on the bias...which is a snap to do.  I have owned many many tube amps and this is about as worry free, dependable and reliable as toobulation gets.

And don't fall into SS vs tube sterotypes.  This thing can really rock and has bass as good as any SS I've heard in my rig.  And I've heard and owned more than a few well known and highly regarded brands.

John

Thanks, John.  It's nice to get additional feedback (pardon the pun) on equipment, to see if there are enough similar comments along the way that substantiate each other.  At the same time, it's really tough to get a total read on things just on suggestions alone. That's why having an opportunity to hear someone else's piece (like Rob's) in your own system is so invaluable.

The bottom line (as it's been said on every audio forum countless times before) always comes down to getting a chance to actually hear something in your own system.  There are so few brick & mortar stores left (let alone ones that will allow you an in-home audition on a piece of equipment) that it's not a luxury we get very often when it comes to contemplating system changes.  The alternative of buying used is a great way of getting "more bang for one's buck"; but it's a crap-shoot when it comes to synergy within your system once you get it.  Of course, you can then try to "roll it over" back on the used market and hopefully not get (too) hurt $$$, but there is the time and effort involved to do so. 

Nonetheless, the quest continues... :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I just keep buying and selling....buying and selling...buying and selling....in the used market, till I find something that floats my boat.

Yeah, it takes some effort, but you get good prices and the ability to try in your own rig.  And if you are careful you don't get burnt, and sometimes even make $$.     :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:38:20 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
...The VR4 mk3 is flattish 4 ohm load. Assume it dips to 3 ohms, but we don't know the phase response of the speaker, which affects the load felt by the amplifier.  I did not see a review on Stereophile.com...

Rich

Thanks for your input here.  As usual, you bring a wealth of information to any thread that you post on. :thumb: 

I believe my VR-4 Gen.III's with the 2012 MOD are different than what the VR-4 Mk3's were.  I e-mailed V.S.A. to ask for specs, just to help give everyone a better idea of what my speakers will need to "sing" amp-wise.  As soon as I hear back from Von Schweikert, I will post additional info.

SN

Albert Von Schweikert responded to my question on "before and after" specs by saying the specs are really for the most part, the same.  The upgraded speakers (2012 MOD) sound better because they have all new and better quality drivers, x-overs, wiring, etc. along with additional cabinet bracing and dampening.

Here's what I found for specs via a Stereotimes review of my speakers when they were new in 2001.

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak101001.shtml

Von Schweikert Audio VR-4 Generation III

3 Way, 5 driver, two-piece stacking monitor

Crossover - 150 Hz and 2.6 kHz.

Response - 20-20kHz, +/- 3 dB, 18Hz-25kHz -6dB (+/- 1dB at midband).

Nominal Impedance - 6 Ohms

Sensitivity - 89dB @ 1w/1m using 2.83v (in room)

Hopefully this helps everyone in trying to match up new electronics to my speakers, so they compliment each other better.

Thanks!
SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
The impedance/phase graph would reveal the true story. You can borrow my measuring tool if you really want to know, DATS system from Parts Express. It will measure the impedance and phase. But since you have access to rpf's tube amp, and a set of ears, you don't really need to know the load details. See how the bass sounds to you with the 90W tube amp, compared to your present SS amp. If it is clear and punchy enough on several different types of LF music, then you are OK for tubes, as most transformer output tube amps have actual output impedance of about 1.5ohms. Then you need to hear how well the tube amp handles loud music with complex harmony (dissonance) preferably in high and low registers simultaneously. If it distorts audibly, or stresses out then you need more power. I can send you a short test track for this if you want.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »
The impedance/phase graph would reveal the true story. You can borrow my measuring tool if you really want to know, DATS system from Parts Express. It will measure the impedance and phase. But since you have access to rpf's tube amp, and a set of ears, you don't really need to know the load details. See how the bass sounds to you with the 90W tube amp, compared to your present SS amp. If it is clear and punchy enough on several different types of LF music, then you are OK for tubes, as most transformer output tube amps have actual output impedance of about 1.5ohms. Then you need to hear how well the tube amp handles loud music with complex harmony (dissonance) preferably in high and low registers simultaneously. If it distorts audibly, or stresses out then you need more power. I can send you a short test track for this if you want.

Thanks, Rich.  I don't think I need to go to the extreme (at least for me) of plotting a impedance/phase graph with test equipment.  I do plan on setting something up with Rob soon to get a listen to his system with the Rogue integrated and then making arrangements to borrow it to listen to it in my system.  If it's not too much trouble to send me the test track that you're talking about, that would be great!

Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Bill,
Here's another tube amp that I was trying to remember when this thread was fresh. I was reminded by the ad in Stereophile today.

It's made in your neighborhood, looks very nice indeed. It can use KT120 tubes.

http://rogershighfidelity.com/

StereoExchange and CSA Audio Design are dealers.

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1010/rogers_high_fidelity_ehf100.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:51:24 PM by richidoo »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:18 AM »
Thanx, Rich!  :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP