Author Topic: Psvane Audio  (Read 6625 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Psvane Audio
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
An interesting story about Treasure tubes and the new Psvane tubes out of China. Maybe a biased viewpoint, since Grant has interest in Psvane...

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/who-is-psvane/

Still imported by Grant Fidelity in Canada. Could be worth a try, although many early Psvane reviews I've read weren't smashing. According to this story on their website that was when they were being made at Shuguang.

What have you guys heard about Psvane and anybody heard the tubes recently since getting out of Shuguang factory?

Does anyone know how to pronounce it? It is a misspelled Pavane (printed on tubes as Psvane) which was never corrected, so now a new company still doesn't correct it because it has brand recognition.  :duh  One thing is true, company names don't matter if the product is good.
Rich

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Psvane Audio
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »
I have never tried the Psvane tubes but i know that some folks like using thier 12AU7's in the Eastern Electric Minimax DAC,i really like the Black Treasure KT66-z CV181-z and the KT88-z that i have.  Shuguang is the oldest and most respected tube manufacturer in China..Ian Grant is jumping ship but if i were to buy any Psvane tubes it wont be from him  ;)  i have not ever had problems with any Shuguang tubes including the non Treasure series tubes  :thumb:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

AcidJazz

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
Does anyone know how to pronounce it?

Well, since you asked...
Piss-vain.
A fitting name.  :lol:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
Does anyone know how to pronounce it?

Well, since you asked...
Piss-vain.
A fitting name.  :lol:

That's what I call it too... ;)

I think Grant created the name Pavane as a private label Shuguang-made tube to beat Ebay black treasure sellers. Obviously there  is a conflict of interests there, which sparked trouble inside Shuguang. 'Somehow' the tubes were misprinted and the mistake was never corrected.

The story implies that Grant is going with Psvane and dropping Shuguang to get away from the chicoms running the factory. With the Black Treasure creators now gone from Shuguang, Grant is wise to follow them. I just hope Psvane can make tubes as good as the original black treasures, because without the engineers I believe the original treasure process will suffer. The best situation would be both psvane and shuguang can compete long term against each other.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
I had the opportunity with a fully modded Bolder EE Dac to demo the Psvane against the stock tube and a 1950's Mullard and the Psvane was remarkably crystal clean,,, very nice. But it was at the expense of the 3D soundstage that I came to love with the EE Dac. In this, the Mullard really excelled and in the end was just more musical in the Salk HT-3 system I did this demo with. I can see why Wayne of Bolder likes the Psvane so much but I can also see why others don't care for sterile stereo regardlesss of it's clarity.  System synergy & personal preference is everything.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners